Lake tahoe NV gold prospecting? Travelling from Wa state.

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife wants to go to lake tahoe NV at the end of the june. She will go party with her friends and I would love to go get some gold or at least rock hound. Any ideas or at least thoughts on this plan. My other option is staying home and doing some extreme camping gold prospecting in Washington state. Which is also good. I love my gold here. I have seen fire opals on tv that could be a fun stop for me. Any suggestions? Any good gold in that area that I can prospect publicly? I will be bringing my bazooka, pan and other supplies.

Upvote 0

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Minerrick is right. There was a paleo channel that flowed from NE Nevada through Lake Tahoe and down through the American River basin. There are possible exposed areas of it on either side of the lake but the amount of uplifting, faulting, fracturing, avalanches and volcanic activity has made it difficult to locate much workable area. The American,Bear or Yuba Rivers would be your best bet. Good Luck.

OP
OP
M

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently I am going. The sad story of how we never go on vacations together anymore. Something about all my time spent is prospecting or thinking about it all the time. I answered that I would be doing that whether I went or not. Her response was as long as she could at least got to bed next to me she is happy. So. I guess I am going. I will get the exact dates tomorrow.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Mike, I spent many summers in Lake Tahoe, it is beautiful place, go to Virginia City and also if it is still there the Carson City hot springs, your body will tingle after a swim there. There are places to mine opals or at least back in the 1960's and 70's there was, check the internet for possibility's. Rule #1 keep the Lady happy. If all works out I will going down my claims in Northern California July 11 or 12th. Ed

OP
OP
M

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here are the dates. 27th of this month we will spend the day driving down to Reno. We will be there for 2 nights and then we go another couple of hours to end at lake tahoe for the rest of the time. We leave on the 3rd of next month. I am only limited to coming home at the end of the day. Minerrick, I would love to go. I will PM you my phone nr. I hope those dates work for you. I will be renting my own car for freedoms sake.

OP
OP
M

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back and happy.

We made it.
Lake tahoe is beautiful. A little cold but the 100 degree weather made up for that. Did the tourist stuff like the gondola lift up the mountain and stand up paddle boarding.
I got to spend one full day prospecting.
I have to say that it was a completely new experience for me. I met Minerrick early in the morning and we headed out to his friend Scotts claim "nuggetcreek". Where the rest of the state was hot, his claim was shaded and cooled by a small creek. A good 30 degrees cooler I swear.
I immediately grab a pan full of bank material and pan away. Got nothing. Grab another. Still nothing. Start paying attention to what Scott was doing. He is on his knees looking through a tube and holding a flashlight. He yells for a clean pan and Rick is right there. He picks up a nugget the size of flattened pea and plunks it into the pan. I almost shat myself. Did I just see that? That's crazy. They explain to me that there is hardly any small flakes and this is the way one gets the yellow stuff around here. I have always believed that it is the quantity of material run. So I moved small boulders and moved overburden to get to the bedrock. Once there we find a nice pocket or crevice and let Scott go to town with his underwater scope. He yells for clean pans and we excited like hell hand him one. It is mind blowing.
Now, this is a rare occurrence I was told. So don't expect that it is that "easy" anywhere else.
I can tell you I hurt the next day. Arms could barely hold my phone to search for jobs and property in CA.
I want to thank Rick and Scott from the bottom of my heart.
For the hospitality and for patiently explaining how gold occurs in that part of the country. Most importantly how to retrieve it. The fact that I even got invited to a place like that is insane. You both made my vacation.

Attachments

• 2015-07-05 15.13.42.jpg
    2015-07-05 15.13.42.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 2015-07-05 15.14.06.jpg
    2015-07-05 15.14.06.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 2015-07-05 15.14.51.jpg
    2015-07-05 15.14.51.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 2015-07-05 15.14.28.jpg
    2015-07-05 15.14.28.jpg
    796.7 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
M

mshanygin

Dec 22, 2014
Everett WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics

FullSizeRender1.jpg FullSizeRender2.jpg

Here is some "small stuff" I got to take home.
The biggest piece is half the size of my pinkie finget nail.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minerrick is right. There was a paleo channel that flowed from NE Nevada through Lake Tahoe and down through the American River basin. There are possible exposed areas of it on either side of the lake but the amount of uplifting, faulting, fracturing, avalanches and volcanic activity has made it difficult to locate much workable area. The American,Bear or Yuba Rivers would be your best bet. Good Luck.

I hate to pass on UN-substantiated stories, but I was told there was an old guy who was working around the Kings Beach area and getting gold. I find that hard to believe, as it is pretty much decomposed granite in the area, but I guess there could be some. I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

Miner49er_2015

May 24, 2015
Gold Country, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hate to pass on UN-substantiated stories, but I was told there was an old guy who was working around the Kings Beach area and getting gold. I find that hard to believe, as it is pretty much decomposed granite in the area, but I guess there could be some. I wouldn't have a clue where to look.

After all the material moved in the hunt for that elusive shine, we're all a bit older, some of us may even be classified as "an old guy". :laughing7:

JoAnnKJames

Dec 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed your question about Cottage Pines and Sky Miles. I spent many summers there in the 1960s and remember it fondly. The Miles family was very special to our family. If you want to chat or respond I'd be happy to join in. Thanks guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread