poison oak and mosquitoes

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poison oak and mosquitoes go hand in hand with prospecting and I often wonder how the old times dealt with this as im sure they had to and without chemicals and ointments we have today. While on the claim last week I could only stay for about two hours as the mosquitos we thicker than ive ever witnessed in my lifetime, I didn't have on any bug spray and the next day I was covered in bites so bad it looked like I had chicken poxes! Ill be sure to bring the bug spray next time, also was going to look into one of them pager like clip on things that's supposta keep them away..

I got poison oak really bad one year, it was early January and I was trail blazing through an area that looked like just sticks but it was poison oak without any leaves and I ended up having to go to the hospital and getting all kinds of shots to help my body fight it off, one of my arms developed an infection it was so bad..

My dad and I who I prospect with quit a bit ponder how the old times dealt with this, especially the PO. He seems to think that the more you come in contact with it you develop an immunity to it but in not sure if I believe this or if its an old wise tale.

Anyone have any ideas on this or info passed down on how it was dealt with back in the days, Seems like some of the best ground is usually covered in PO..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well back up at the claim again Sunday and the mosquitoes were not bad at all, Im thinking it was that freak weather we had a couple weeks back where it was muggy an dark that made them come out in a swarm. I did use some repellant in the later part of the day and sprayed mostly my hat and shirt and it seemed to work well. Stayed away from the PO for the most part, We did go on one hell of an adventure Monday and I might have made contract with some a few times but only time will tell if any shows up.

S

stefen

Was clearing horse trails adjacent to our property in So Cal one year and a neighbor got a bad case of PO.

Apparently, it got into his blood stream and every place on his body he sweated, he immediately broke out.

He was in medical care for about 6 months.

As a kid, I use to get it from resin carried in the smoke from burning poison ivy.

I remember getting massive blisters between my fingers.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was clearing horse trails adjacent to our property in So Cal one year and a neighbor got a bad case of PO.

Apparently, it got into his blood stream and every place on his body he sweated, he immediately broke out.

He was in medical care for about 6 months.

As a kid, I use to get it from resin carried in the smoke from burning poison ivy.

I remember getting massive blisters between my fingers.

Ugh...sound horrible. No bueno. Blasted poison Oak. Is it good for anything?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it makes a great present for x wives and their lawyers. Type a letter, wear gloves ,wipe and send....gotta love'm right?John

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it makes a great present for x wives and their lawyers. Type a letter, wear gloves ,wipe and send....gotta love'm right?John

Super genius - Wyle - E - Coyote

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions