bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's look for the Pegleg!

SoCal guys, I have come up with what I think is a great idea for looking for surface gold of the Pegleg kind.
I am willing to discuss my thoughts here, but I need to know if there is any interest. There is NO INVESTMENT
needed, just some advice and perhaps some time if anyone wants to pursue it.

I will trust that no one here will take my idea and run with it without letting us all know.

If there is any interest, sign up below, and I will lay it out there. I don't think this technique would work
anywhere else in the US, but anyone can join in or comment.

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there is a wifi walkie talkie app for android that uses wifi between the two phones to transmit sound but not sure of images. Theres an app called voxer that will do what your talking about but you must have cell service to use it.

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. I am exploring a solution but with limited computer skills. I know that out in the desert anything that depends on cellphone technology
is doubtful. I'm sure there is a way. I am also looking for someone that can recommend an affordable drone with a <1 lb lifting capacity.
I can't wait to put this together and start testing.

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. I am exploring a solution but with limited computer skills. I know that out in the desert anything that depends on cellphone technology
is doubtful. I'm sure there is a way. I am also looking for someone that can recommend an affordable drone with a <1 lb lifting capacity.
I can't wait to put this together and start testing.

Looks like this will work for the video transmission, either Iphone to Iphone/Ipad or to a laptop. IP Cam

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ip-cam/id333208495?mt=8

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Call the Air Force and tell them that there is an Al-Qaeda Camp in the desert. They will send a surveillance drone to take pics and it will send them back to it's home base. Getting them to give you a copy of the pics is a different matter and just hope they don't find out you called in the bogus tip!:laughing7:

Frank

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a lot of drone research and basically you do get what you pay for. But a $300 Walkera QR X350 would be ok. I've seen a DJI Phantom 2 crash into the freeway and get ran over by a semi truck and blasted into a thousand pieces and at $2500.00 that's a lot to loose but.... Still it is a much smoother unit so it depends on what is affordable to you and what you want for accessories like FPV video goggles - Amazon.com: Fat Shark FATSHARK Predator V2 FPV RTF Headset System Video Goggle GLASS CAMERA: Televisions & Video

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have not found the right combination of hardware, but since there has been some interest, here's my idea.
It's pretty simple, and I'll be surprised if someone has not already suggested it.

Take a quad-motor drone with reasonable range and hang a thermal imaging camera with a wifi connection to your
smart phone or laptop. Display the thermal image of as large an area as possible after calibrating the sensitivity of the
TIC. This could be done using a marble-sized piece of lead. The only variable would be the altitude at which you could still see the target. Walk/ride to the target using the drone if visible, and even land the drone next to the target. Assuming
the target "lights up" on the screen, it must be higher density than the surrounding dirt and rocks.

This method sure beats walking around, and covers a lot of territory fast. I think a system could be put together for under
$600, but I haven't found all the pieces yet. I may just try a pole-mounted TIC hard-wired to a hand-held display as a start.

Comments welcomed, but don't be too harsh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread