Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
From your mouth to Gods ears, I wish...

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it may not be what you are seeking but if it is just smelting gold you seek you might like this

ratled

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Trying to replace a Cali smelter. Our needs outstrip their capacity because of Cali regs.

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
We have two regular kilns, that is not the problem.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great video's, I watched all them, Jeff Williams is for sure the nicest though. :)
I have quite a few empty 16.4oz coleman propane cans that could easily be modified as a slightly larger, taller and tougher furnace.
I could also use them as crucibles for the larger furnaces.

I have a regular 5 gallon propane tank that I was wanting to convert into a furnace too since I melt large pots of lead too.

Last edited:

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Built myself a firebrick furnace in one firebrick 1.jpg firebrick 2.jpg firebrick 3.jpg firebrick 4.jpg firebrick 5.jpg firebrick 7.jpg firebrick 6.jpg firebrick 8.jpg afternoon, been wanting to do so for a year. Procrastination works great. Cut my brick in half, and started carving out the concave cavity with a broken knife I had laying around, to a depth of about 1". The melting dish, which is about 1" tall, sticks up about 3/8ths of an inch above the brick. The top brick, I cut with a wood chisel with straight walls. I cut the hole for the torch with a 1/2" spade bit, at 3/4" from the top edge of the brick, turned by hand to meet with the bottom of the cavity. So for about $2.00 for a firebrick, an a half hour of time, I now have a mini furnace to melt my micro fine gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Built myself a firebrick furnace in one View attachment 1177164 View attachment 1177165 View attachment 1177166 View attachment 1177167 View attachment 1177168 View attachment 1177169 View attachment 1177170 View attachment 1177171 afternoon, been wanting to do so for a year. Procrastination works great. Cut my brick in half, and started carving out the concave cavity with a broken knife I had laying around, to a depth of about 1". The melting dish, which is about 1" tall, sticks up about 3/8ths of an inch above the brick. The top brick, I cut with a wood chisel with straight walls. I cut the hole for the torch with a 1/2" spade bit, at 3/4" from the top edge of the brick, turned by hand to meet with the bottom of the cavity. So for about $2.00 for a firebrick, an a half hour of time, I now have a mini furnace to melt my micro fine gold.

What fuel are you using there and how long does it take to get a clean melt?

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Winner winner chicken dinner. I thought his name was Dave, and I thought he posted under Goldpanner Dave, but the profile did not match. Thanks you:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nope, wasn't me. I am a chemist, but not the person who did the smelting on the Gold Rush show. (I wish!)

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is there a solar powered smelter available?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread