Complete novice looking for advice (not in USA)

abtc

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As follows: we have recently started a small business in a very remote part of the world which has, by default, facilitated observation of artisanal small scale gold mining activities in the area. This is not a new activity in these parts and is certainly not conducted in a manner that subscribes to environmental or social best practices. While we are not interested in promoting this state of affairs we are curious to know if there is a real opportunity to recover some alluvial gold responsibly without spending a fortune in the process.

This artisanal activity, which is taking place on a typical greenstone belt deposit, consists of local folk digging pits and grinding the ore using rudimentary pestle and mortar (and sometimes homemade ball mills etc) and then taking this crushed material to the nearest stream where they pan for gold, usually using a plastic or enamel kitchen dish.

Our plan is to use a small dredger to approach the streams and rivers downstream from the mining activity. To our knowledge this has never been done here.

My questions:
1. Are these streams and rivers draining towards the sea from the greenstone belt likely to trap alluvial gold naturally as the rivers erode their way into the hillsides? Or rather, would the volume trapped over the millennium be worthwhile?
2. Would the artisanal mining activities contribute to the alluvial gold trapped in the streams and rivers? Would it contribute a lot or only slightly.
3. Would a backpack-size dredger do the job? - like the one sold by Keene in USA - capable of 100 gallons per minute with a 2” suction nozzle, dredge capacity of 1.5 yards per hour, and 150 feet of head pressure?

Would appreciate commentary ...

Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1. You'll never know until you do some sampling....a lot of sampling.
2. The activity of other miners inland won't add nor subtract from the river deposits.
3. If #1 shows a profitable amount of gold, then a 2" will get you started but without an air supply and dive equipment, you'll be limited to only being able to go an arms reach under water. If things work out, you can always go bigger later with the dredge.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Am I understanding you correctly that you wish to target the dropped gold from the processing efforts of the folks upriver? If so I don't believe you'll be very successful as the miniscule amounts that these folks lose or drop haven't had enough time to migrate downriver that far. However if there is a good deposit upriver you may find by sampling that it continues on downriver to the area your looking at working. May I ask what type of buisness and the general area (continent?) you seem well versed in the terminology and aspects of mining so I'm trying to get a better grip on your question.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My question is why are the artisanal miners mining and crushing "ore" and not digging and panning "placer"? Or are they actually digging in a placer deposit? In any case it seems that if it was worthwhile to them (and ultimately you) then they would be working placers (too?) if there were any around. That area has probably been mined for a long time and maybe generations.

The area you are considering mining will most likely show some evidence of past workings if there is gold to be found. As has been previously stated, you must do some sampling of your own to see if further efforts are worthwhile.

Good luck.

OP
OP
A

abtc

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

1. Was hoping to hear a more positive answer! I guess there is no free lunch, ever.
2. I am surprised by this answer. Perhaps I should mention that the result of this activity leaves the streams and rivers downstream very muddy brown, for surprisingly far downstream.
3. Arms reach will hopefully offer a result ito sampling.

OP
OP
A

abtc

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

The activity upstream (which is happening on the top of the ridge - a climb of approx. 3000 feet over a fairly short distance) has sparked our curiosity to examine the tributaries coming off this ridge, but we are also thinking that over time the rivers have naturally trapped alluvial gold. Perhaps I should mention that the streams and rivers in the lowland are left very muddy brown by this activity - so it is fairly substantial collectively at the moment, and has been happening over some 100's of years.

Forestry in Africa. We are sub-contracting on a broader projectMy apparent knowledge surrounding mining is generated by research, zero practical experience.

OP
OP
A

abtc

Jun 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

I have not managed to get to view the activity yet, but based on what I have seen 100 miles away on the same belt I am guessing that they are crushing ore.

The area has been mined for generations, and I guess they find new pickings from time to time ...

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hazard a guess and say they used to placer mine then stumbled upon vein deposits and quickly learned they could earn much more for their time invested working vein material vs placer (which if the area has mining history in africa you can bet its been placer mined by past empires, albiet with significant loses compared to todays methods).

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks

1. Was hoping to hear a more positive answer! I guess there is no free lunch, ever.
2. I am surprised by this answer. Perhaps I should mention that the result of this activity leaves the streams and rivers downstream very muddy brown, for surprisingly far downstream.
3. Arms reach will hopefully offer a result ito sampling.

Yes, but silt goes much further than specs of gold. If there had been large scale milling upstream for a long time, then you might see evidence downstream, like the Camp Bird Mine in SW Colorado; especially if the milling was not very efficient.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks

The activity upstream (which is happening on the top of the ridge - a climb of approx. 3000 feet over a fairly short distance) has sparked our curiosity to examine the tributaries coming off this ridge, but we are also thinking that over time the rivers have naturally trapped alluvial gold. Perhaps I should mention that the streams and rivers in the lowland are left very muddy brown by this activity - so it is fairly substantial collectively at the moment, and has been happening over some 100's of years.

Forestry in Africa. We are sub-contracting on a broader project. My apparent knowledge surrounding mining is generated by research, zero practical experience.

I would guess west Africa's green stone belt. It is certainly worth sampling, as others have said. Any bedrock where you are (so you can crevice)? Or gravel bars (for float gold)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread