Droughts bounty, long-hidden gold

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Drought's bounty, long-hidden gold

Tampa Bay Times article, 6-25-2015

Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 11.23.27 AM.png

Upvote 0

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
There is opportunity abound!

Dive into those former deep river holes and work the cracks! And work those rapids that have now slowed way down!

Look for where the creek/river used to be! Perched benches of old riverbed can be a bonanza! Just understand how meanders work and hoe gold lines develop during major floods.

Snipers should do real well now, you don't really need a dredge!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a little hype in this article which has made it's way through the local news stations and papers. All of the articles point to the same area at Bear River near Colfax and claim that the waters are so low new areas are abundant. However the Bear by Colfax is just bellow a dam and levels are controlled pretty well. I have been going for years and there is nothing new to see ever. I'm thinking it's more of a little bump to spur on an economic stimulus in the form of a mini gold rush... :laughing7:

I wish i could find "Wadding into formerly deep waters" and areas that have "Long been inaccessible"

I will be on the watch through the summer but I can say I am not seeing anything too unusual yet. I think up North a ways there may be worse conditions in streams...

Best of luck out there this summer all...

IdahoGoldGettR

Mar 13, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last time I checked, 1 ounce of gold was not 28 grams - get the facts right if you wish to write about miners. Enough said.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Too bad they couldn't mention that allowing dredging again would add much needed $ to the local, state and the U.S.A. economies :dontknow:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea any of the creeks or rivers up hear that aren't dammed. get low and dry every year. I havn't seen anything dry that hasn't been before by the middle of the summer anyway.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I know whats going on with that article! They're trying to get the people that want to move from New York south to Florida to head out to California instead! If they make it seem like there's riches to be had they'll go out to the land where you can pick up ounce nuggets out of every stream....

Y'all had better post guards at every road into the state!!!!!

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time ago, I went panning on the Merced River, on one of the GPAAs claims. The river was really high, but found gold just about everywhere I looked. Then my sister and her husband lived in Merced. And during the drought when they lived there, they said the Merced River was only ankle deep! That would have to present a great opportunity for getting some gold that was out of reach before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread