Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got any hiking tips? I learned a couple things on the following link. I especially like #4 as duct tape is a good fire starter too.

http://www.rv123.com/7-useful-hikin...1515&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

I've used the reflector part of a hand held 6 volt battery powered lantern to start a fire and it worked quite well. Lately I have been experimenting starting a fire using only a cheap hand held magnifying glass (8x). To make things interesting, I did it near my home which is under constant shade except for a couple hours of mid day sun. I did it twice successfully and learned a lot by my failures. The correct spot looks like an arc weld in progress and NOT easy on the eyes (used sunglasses eventually). I could get smoke quickly but flames were hard to come by and harder to keep going (burned my hand a bit while taking it from sun to source, dropped it in the wrong pile, holding the glass just right while trying to keep up with the movement of the sun). It was NOT easy, especially living in a rain forest. Even tho it hasn't rained for days, the best dry tinder to use was long dead hollow grass (or a weed) busted up into 1/2 pieces made into a pyramid in the nest. It was NOT easy, had fun and learned a bunch. I ordered one of these (60x) for the back pack. For $2.45? No need to think about it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQAANDS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Got any new/old tricks you want to share of what YOU know works and what doesn't?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Old manila rope makes great tender. I always keep some short sections of it in my fire starting kit along with some "char-cloth" which I make up myself. I use flint and steel to get the char-cloth going in a nest of unraveled rope. Once the car-cloth is glowing, gently blow on it and it will light the rope which in turn will start the kindling etc etc etc.

Making char cloth is a very simple process. All you need is a metal tin with a small hole punched in it (those mint tins work great) and some pieces of cotton t-shirt cut to the shape of the tin. Put a stack of the cloth pieces into the tin and close it up tight. Toss the tin into a fire and watch what happens. You should see steam/smoke coming out of the hole. Let the tin sit in the fire until it is no longer showing anything coming out of the hole then pull it out of the fire and allow to completely cool before you open it up. Because it was heated without enough air to burn, the cotton cloth is now charcoal and ready to use.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
some 000 steel wool a lil 3in1 oil and a 9 volt with duck tape over the battery keep it in a zip lock baggie

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Jeezzzz....We aren't in the 1800s....keep it simple....

Bic lighter or Matches.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wash your bluejeans, save the lint (100% cotton).

Don't break up the dried grass, take it in 2 hands, fold it over and twist it. That breaks the folds into fine strands that start easily.

One of these is easier to hold

41Wba2l0RUL._SY300_.jpg

Than

a886d71a9858dc0e92ed6f8909eb78b3.jpg

Hold the starter and knife at the tinder and draw the starter back. Keeps you from knocking your tinder away and you'll notice there are sparks as you're striking along the stick and thus more chance of sparking the tinder.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeezzzz....We aren't in the 1800s....keep it simple....

Bic lighter or Matches.

LOL What can I say...had to prove it to myself. I once watched an episode where Cody (remember him?) couldn't light a fire once and he was in the Pacific Northwest rainforest. Just saying, even on the best day it ain't easy...but it CAN be done:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Don't break up the dried grass, take it in 2 hands, fold it over and twist it. That breaks the folds into fine strands that start easily."
You are so right. The strands act like fuses.

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The essential things I always have in any of my packs no matter the occassion.
>Small first aid kit, small unwaxed dental floss w/needle, and a tampon (excellent for puncture wounds) this all fits in a Altoids tin
>Mag stick like shown
>small pencil (wooden) wrapped in ductape and a length of bailing wire. Pencil can always be shaved into fire tender.
>metal cup
>sawyer mini water filter
>leatherman
>TP and chapstick- other than the obvious the chapstick rubbed on the TP and pencil shavings will start a fire in the wettest of conditions
>space blanket
>garbage bag
>Bandana
Everything above fits in a doubled ziplock bag and stuffs into the cup for storage

Also I snap a couple 550 parachute cord bracelets and a carabiner or two on my pack. All the above weighs maybe a 1lb and provides a means for the basic things you need in an emergency situation

Oh yeah most important- Walking stick, ski poles, or backpacking poles- I started using these a year or two ago and now I won't leave home without them. Funny thing- since I started using them I've stopped falling- balance isn't what it used to be, bifocals may play a part, go figure. I'm also not near as worn out at the end of the day, they take some of the load off your legs, lower back, and hips. Highly recommend them!!!

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah most important- Walking stick, ski poles, or backpacking poles- I started using these a year or two ago and now I won't leave home without them. Funny thing- since I started using them I've stopped falling- balance isn't what it used to be, bifocals may play a part, go figure. I'm also not near as worn out at the end of the day, they take some of the load off your legs, lower back, and hips. Highly recommend them!!!"

I agree!!!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YT854S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The pair above replaced my "natural" walking stick. I dare anyone over 40 not to say they are best item to have on a tough hike. 4 wheel is better than 2...duh!

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take dryer lint in a zip baggie to start a fire , it goes right up quick .
Dont forget the trail mix and tuna salad with crackers or a small can of peanut butter .

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jeff,
A 'few years back' I was hiking in through dry California timber country in late September when I noticed some heavy clouds forming overhead. Now I was half way in on this nasty trail and did not feel like turning back so I camped out on a spot I kicked out with my boots. Rained heavily during the night. In the morning, still raining, I could see that at 8,000' there was snow. I waited till about noon to hike back up and had made it into the next level of forest above my previous nights camp when the clouds started massing again. I put up the tent and had some of my stuff inside when it started raining again. In a short time the rain stopped so I went outside to start a fire to cook my steak and potato over. So it had rained for some 12 hours plus making the tinder dry forest Not! Even my military fire starter pellet would Not cause anything that had been laying on the forest floor to burn. I was standing there considering my predicament when I noticed this 4' young pine tree next to me. I clipped off the outermost clump of young pine needles, shook them, laid them on the burning fire starter, sizzle goes the water and then POOF the pine oil and sap ignited. I enjoyed the steak and potato cooked on my bounteous camp fire and was feeling mighty good when it started to rain. I was ready to retire so I did. As the rain continued I could see my fire going slowly out and that was OK.

However, I started the fuel tablet on fire with my Bic though it was all the pine oil that caused the sopping wet firewood to dry and burn. Enjoy the camping.................63bkpkr

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The first thing that I thought when I saw the title.

"The best and most comfortable shoes that you can find and lots of thick socks"

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks Neo,good pair of hiking boots, midcalf, not tennis shoes or slip on's
busted my ankle cuz i was wareing slipon shoe
returning home with my dog from my morning hike in the woods
triped up and trried to catch my balance, put the left foot out and landed on a small branch
now have a plate on my ankle and in a wheelchair for the next few weeks

cooking oil in a small container, Wax

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OUCH! x_x

That is one thing that will ruin a trip faster than just about anything else, that's for sure.

I hope that you have a quick recovery and get back out to enjoy the rest of your summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread