Colorado, 8.52-Carat Diamond at State Park

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol your right, sure missed that one..

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen that on TV before. It does look like fun. Man I don't know if I can handle yellow fever and diamond fever at the same time

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol yeah it sure would be something to have a diamond end up in your pan in gold country.. They have been found in CA before..

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We do have diamonds in CO tho. From Boulder county north into Wyoming there are kimberlite pipes. Diamonds have been found in Cache-la-Poudre River gravels for example...weathered out of the kimberlite.

note: Virtually all the known pipes are on private ranch land. The local rivers however...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DeBeers holds a large chunk here in Butte County (near the Feather River as John said) as reserves, although from what I've read and heard the diamonds found there are more of an industrial quality. There used to be an old timer that lived up in Deer Creek who searched for and supposedly lived off the diamonds he found. The Deer Creek drainage is all volcanic pyroclastic flow and full of huge Basalt spires or columns. Always figured there may be something to the old story as it takes incredible pressure and heat to make those Basalt towers much the same as are required to form diamonds. Problem in Butte County is with all the variations of quartz and crystal it makes it tough to distinguish if you don't know what your looking at.

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with a previous poster...not sure if I could prospect for jewels and metal!

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always pocketing interesting and different rocks and minerals when prospecting, I have a growing box at the house, mostly leaverite I'm sure.. but I can't help myself, sometimes I get lucky and find something interesting like a nice quartz crystal, garnet or serpentine specimen, wound up with platinum once, found a really cool old crevesing tool once.. One thing I'm sure of is that you just never know what you might come across while searching for gold, best to keep an open mind and if it's strange or something you have never seen before pocket it if you can, might end up being something of value in some way or another.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake Michigan can cough up diamonds from time to time, and there are kimberlite pipes at Racine and the UP.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I lived in Springfield Mo. my business travels would usually take me within an hour or two of the park.
I was always curious to go but never did, this was before I got into prospecting like I am now.

Beautiful country down there. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread