Doing some google earth map work.....

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can do a traceroute on your Mac by going to Applications --> Utilities --> Network Utility.

Choose the "Traceroute" tab, type in "www.mylandmatters.org" and click the "Trace" button.

The first part of the route displayed is from your machine to your Internet provider and the second part is into Land Matters. If there are ** asterisks before the part going to Land Matters then the problem is the backhaul DNS service for your provider.

You can do all this in Terminal with the same commands Rob in KS shared but the Network Utility gives a more understandable display and gives you a boatload of other network tools at a mouse click.

Heavy Pans

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Barry, I'm am truly amazed, I would love to spend about three days with you and the missus and have you guys show me all the stuff the website can really do that my limited computor skills has yet to figure out.

OP
OP
M

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can do a traceroute on your Mac by going to Applications --> Utilities --> Network Utility.

Choose the "Traceroute" tab, type in "www.mylandmatters.org" and click the "Trace" button.

The first part of the route displayed is from your machine to your Internet provider and the second part is into Land Matters. If there are ** asterisks before the part going to Land Matters then the problem is the backhaul DNS service for your provider.

You can do all this in Terminal with the same commands Rob in KS shared but the Network Utility gives a more understandable display and gives you a boatload of other network tools at a mouse click.

Heavy Pans

Sounds good, but I don't have a "network utility" app. I have disk utility, but no network utility. Next idea?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good, but I don't have a "network utility" app. I have disk utility, but no network utility. Next idea?

You must be running Mavericks. Apple moved it to System --> Library --> Core Services --> Applications -->Network Utility.app

If you haven't updated to Mavericks OSX 10.9.5 that may be the cause of network slowdowns. Mac operating systems and their updates are free so no reason not to update. We run 7 different OSX versions on the same computer, including 10.9.5 :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
M

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be running Mavericks. Apple moved it to System --> Library --> Core Services --> Applications -->Network Utility.app

If you haven't updated to Mavericks OSX 10.9.5 that may be the cause of network slowdowns. Mac operating systems and their updates are free so no reason not to update. We run 7 different OSX versions on the same computer, including 10.9.5 :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

I haven't upgraded to Mavericks, because I run Parallels and they want $149 to upgrade THAT program to run Mavericks. Parallels isn't THAT important to me to spend $149. I need it to run my PC quickbooks program on my mac. I think Hefty is right, this is getting a bit complicated.

I guess I will just stick to plodding along doing it the way I am used to. I took a look at Arcgis, and the $2500 a year was a bit steep for this poor boy.

OP
OP
M

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, Clay the Maverick instructions worked. Go figure. I didn't think I upgraded..... Hmmmm

So, traceroute had 64 hops max, 72 byte packets. I pinged your website and: 0.0 packet loss, so I have no clue why it is running so slow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread