Huge kml file of past and present gold claims and prospects in California

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You may have a common issue - failure to delete temporary internet files. They will choke up IE because they do occupy blocks of memory and certain handles. Delete the temporary internet files under the Tools menu item. This usually helps.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't use the Usgs site to create it. It was extracted from a series of books. It may be the same data, i don't know.

I'm impressed you got that info in one file without GE crashing. I'd recommend you separate each county into it's own separate file, that way you don't have to open up the whole huge database if you are just looking for El Dorado county. It would help keep GE from choking too. It would be much more user friendly if you could turn off the mines in the counties you WEREN'T looking at.

So what books did you use? Without knowing the source, the info is pretty much useless.

That database seriously choked my mac mini. I almost was afraid I wouldn't be able to delete it fast enough, and I would get in some sort of weird "loading a crapload of locations" loop that I couldn't get out of. You definitely need to break it down into much more manageable units.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This runs fine on my laptop yet it really lags out my work pc, thanks for sharing! Check out virtual prospector, it's a site with the same data you posted plus many more historical mines. I use it in conjunction with many different sites and ge overlays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm impressed you got that info in one file without GE crashing. I'd recommend you separate each county into it's own separate file, that way you don't have to open up the whole huge database if you are just looking for El Dorado county. It would help keep GE from choking too. It would be much more user friendly if you could turn off the mines in the counties you WEREN'T looking at.

So what books did you use? Without knowing the source, the info is pretty much useless.

That database seriously choked my mac mini. I almost was afraid I wouldn't be able to delete it fast enough, and I would get in some sort of weird "loading a crapload of locations" loop that I couldn't get out of. You definitely need to break it down into much more manageable units.

I actually created the file in notepad++. First i scanned and ocr'ed all 21 books in the series "California gold locations", then crafted a carefully thought out regular expression search and replace which extracted the information and created the file in one step. Took a couple hours start to finish, almost all of which was the scanning/ocr process.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made this file so i could get a better understanding of what existing gold discoveries looked like with Google earth, so i could find new ones. For that purpose it has been very useful to me.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually created the file in notepad++. First i scanned and ocr'ed all 21 books in the series "California gold locations", then crafted a carefully thought out regular expression search and replace which extracted the information and created the file in one step. Took a couple hours start to finish, almost all of which was the scanning/ocr process.

I'm impressed you did it in a couple of hours. The database I am creating has about 30 townships in it and it has taken me months to complete (thanks to GE crashing and taking 50 townships of info with it). I guess I am an old dog who doesn't know the quick way to do things. And my biggest concern is I spent all this time creating this database, and there is a possibility that Land Matters already has it. But Land Matters is still a mystery to me as I cannot get anything to download at a reasonable clip. I guess I am the only guy out there that has this problem. Maybe it is better I don't know for sure, or I'd be really mad at myself for spending all this time on something that is already available.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm impressed you did it in a couple of hours. The database I am creating has about 30 townships in it and it has taken me months to complete (thanks to GE crashing and taking 50 townships of info with it). I guess I am an old dog who doesn't know the quick way to do things. And my biggest concern is I spent all this time creating this database, and there is a possibility that Land Matters already has it. But Land Matters is still a mystery to me as I cannot get anything to download at a reasonable clip. I guess I am the only guy out there that has this problem. Maybe it is better I don't know for sure, or I'd be really mad at myself for spending all this time on something that is already available.

Your not the only one, it takes a while to load up a map showing claims with land matters. I usually just click an area I want to look at and go do something else for a few minutes till its loaded and keep doing that till I get down to the area I want to see.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kml file format is pretty simple. Try opening my file in a text editor, notepad would work, but not very well with larger files. I use notepad++ because it automatically colors the syntax of the kml file which makes it much easier to work with.

I can't imagine trying to do something like that manually in Google earth.

Just use Google earth to create one of each type of item you will have in the file, then save it and edit manually, each section between <placemark> and </placemark> is one entry, it's easy to figure out once you see it

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you already have the data as a list of coordinates turning it into a kml is easy

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kml file format is pretty simple. Try opening my file in a text editor, notepad would work, but not very well with larger files. I use notepad++ because it automatically colors the syntax of the kml file which makes it much easier to work with.

I can't imagine trying to do something like that manually in Google earth.

Just use Google earth to create one of each type of item you will have in the file, then save it and edit manually, each section between <placemark> and </placemark> is one entry, it's easy to figure out once you see it

In my mapping, I'm not just adding points of interest. I am adding the paths of ancient gravel channels & mineralization zones (as KMZ overlays), historic mining properties, private properties, etc.....So no matter how I do it, it is tedious. The idea is that I can look at my google earth for each section and at a glance by looking at the GE database (and by turning on and off kmz files) I can tell EVERYTHING I need to know about that section- who owns the private property, who owns the claims on it (when they were claimed and how long they have been held), where the claimed claims are actually located (as determined by copying their actual location notices from the recorders office) and then laying it out on the google earth map, where any historic claims had been on the property, etc. So my map is much more data dense than just a hat pin, so alas, I just plod along.

Sometimes I wish I didn't enjoy maps so much, so it wouldn't have become such an obsession to me. But it turns out that it creates a pretty cool map and I have now discovered literally thousands of acres I need to look at which shows huge potential.

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a lot more info than simple placemark, sounds like a good map though.

Still, you may want to try making a file with one of each of your data types in it, then opening it in a text editor. That's what i would do at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread