none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

kabah088

Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing I think of is that my spot will be covered up this winter probably due to higher runoff flows.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First thing I think of is that my spot will be covered up this winter probably due to higher runoff flows.

Yep... I just wish I had more time to get out because the water is so low. We sure need a ton of rain but it has been pretty neat being able to prospect in some spots because of it.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Honestly I can not WAIT for massive flooding on the creeks that I prospect. :D
It takes several years of regular high water to start to replenish gold, but big floods can do it right away.

My best paying holes have hardly replenished over the last couple years so I am really hoping that if we do have El Nino this year that they replenish very well.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
El Niño can bring a series of warm storm systems. Lots of rain even at higher altitude. Huge runoff. Really change the landscape.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The El Nino of '97 was the big gullywasher! It washed our Hwy. 49, just above Union Flat CG on the N.Yuba, and also my big old dredge pile below there(sad). I lived in an old trailor on top of Banner Mtn. at the time, and it leaked big time, and mama bear trying to bust in! It tore creeks and rivers a new one, and buds did real well!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The normal cycle of El Nino/La Nina periods seem to have been thrown off for what ever reason. I have a feeling that when the cycle gets back to something close to normal the first El Nino storms are going to be doozies to make up for the lack of rains over the last few years.

A lot of water in a short time period is going to be moving a LOT of earth and replenishing many a stream with fresh gold. Even though there hasn't been an El Nino year since I moved to Arizona, I'm hoping for a lot of rain here in the desert. Even in the desert, observing water flow when possible can be an important part of prospecting. Most likely, I'll be out in the storms with my rain gear on in an attempt to see the water flow first hand. I may get wet but the pay off could be huge. The only problem I see will be getting into and out of the areas safely. Roads out here can disappear in an instant thanks to flash flooding.

OP
OP
R

RookieDad

Jun 8, 2015
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be careful out there GoldenIrishman, those flash floods are crazy dangerous.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think it is all hype. We got two inches of rain in 45 minutes on Friday along with about two inches of marble to golf ball size hail on Friday. Made a nice little mess on this side of Arid-zona. That gold cube with the trommel on top might be the ticket here is a few of the washes I know.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest I'd love to get some rain like that up this way so I can observe flow in some of the washes I've got in my sights. The hail part I can do without though. I've got enough hail dents in the truck from Georgia as it is.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Forgot to add that we got another 1/4" this morning. Had a fun ride with the doors off and the windows out of the soft top of my Jeep. On the plus side though, I guess I got my shower this morning. :icon_jokercolor::icon_jokercolor:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a whole thread on flash flooding, nothing to joke around about...

If you get bored before, scroll out to 2:54

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The normal cycle of El Nino/La Nina periods seem to have been thrown off for what ever reason. I have a feeling that when the cycle gets back to something close to normal the first El Nino storms are going to be doozies to make up for the lack of rains over the last few years.

A lot of water in a short time period is going to be moving a LOT of earth and replenishing many a stream with fresh gold. Even though there hasn't been an El Nino year since I moved to Arizona, I'm hoping for a lot of rain here in the desert. Even in the desert, observing water flow when possible can be an important part of prospecting. Most likely, I'll be out in the storms with my rain gear on in an attempt to see the water flow first hand. I may get wet but the pay off could be huge. The only problem I see will be getting into and out of the areas safely. Roads out here can disappear in an instant thanks to flash flooding.

You could be out there now, with the summer Monsoon thunderstorms dumping huge amounts of rain in a short time!
Just be darn carefull and stay out of slot canyons! A remnant hurricane could be a Godsend!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
You could be out there now, with the summer Monsoon thunderstorms dumping huge amounts of rain in a short time!
Just be darn carefull and stay out of slot canyons! A remnant hurricane could be a Godsend!

I should add, that LIGHTNING is a big hazard in any thunderstorm! Take cover safely, your car if that's all you have.

This winter could be a wallopalossa. Excess heat has built up in the Pacific, and all ready El Nino is moving the fisheries around. The more heat the ocean has, the more rain you can get!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BB, remember the Railroad car just down river from Union Flat Campground, rumor has it was found 1/4 mile down river from it's original spot

The El Nino of '97 was the big gullywasher! It washed our Hwy. 49, just above Union Flat CG on the N.Yuba, and also my big old dredge pile below there(sad). I lived in an old trailor on top of Banner Mtn. at the time, and it leaked big time, and mama bear trying to bust in! It tore creeks and rivers a new one, and buds did real well!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good pints made.
Many! good pints made!

a-good-pint-not-like.jpg

But seriously, even if you're not in the wash it could have been raining miles away and floods the wash.

And if that wash is between you and the road, you're gonna be there a while; at least until that top 6" dries back out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions