pyrit rock.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crush and pan my friend. Crush and pan.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Identification from pictures over the internet is difficult at best. Here is the simple test...
Pry off a small piece of the gold colored mineral. Now crush it with pliers or the tip of your knife
If it dents or bends, it is gold
If is shatters or crumbles, it is pyrite

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope I am accurate on this, I had "heard" that if it is gold, it will shine both in the sun and the shade, if pyrite, it will shine in the sun, but not the shade. The guys above are right though, if it bends or dents, it is gold, if it crumbles.......................

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope I am accurate on this, I had "heard" that if it is gold, it will shine both in the sun and the shade, if pyrite, it will shine in the sun, but not the shade. The guys above are right though, if it bends or dents, it is gold, if it crumbles.......................

The shine test is accurate but requires a trained eye. The crush test works for anyone.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would NOT crush a potential specimen of that size- no no no! You would severely devalue it if it is gold. Follow Bonaro's advice and pry, cut, or chip of a small (SMALL!!!) piece and test from there. Good luck hope it's gold

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobadilla

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hello,
Thanks a lot to everybody for your answers. I will follow Bonaro's recommendation and surely let you know!

All the best....
Lobo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread