What to do, What to do??? Highgraders

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I've been in prospecting hiatus for a couple of months as I just purchased a new home. Last weekend, I got out to my claim for some first time metal detecting (no mentionable finds). The claim was pretty dry with the exception of a few deep stagnant puddles. After I worked the far hillside, I decided to drop into the riverbed and work my way back to my vehicle. To my surprise, I found several holes, 3 ft x 3 ft x 1-2 ft deep. Someone's been playing in my creek.

During my research, prior to getting my claim, I was advised that some of the LDMA members from the nearby camp, would prospect that area regularly. I suspect they are still the culprits. I will be taking a vacation soon and plan on checking in on the claim from time to time, hoping to catch someone there. I don't have money for game camera's right now so I plan on dropping in on the claim from time to time hoping I catch someone there. I plan on attempting to ID the individual(s), get pictures, and advise them they are on my claim and need to leave? I also want to ascertain whether or not they are LDMA members.

I forgot to mention that my claim marker is in plain sight on the access road so there is no way to miss it.

Any suggestions on other ways to handle these thieving scum?

-Mike-

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an LDMA member and have been for decades. When I find people on my claims, usually they are beginners and trying to find their first gold so I help them out. If you're not going to be there then hire someone to care take it for you or trade with them if the claim can be worth producing.

OP
OP
QNCrazy

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Reed, I hope I didn't offend you as an LDMA Member as that was not my intention. I hold myself to a standard that if I know a claim exists I would ask permission from the claim owner before doing any prospecting. It's an honor thing. I would think that if it was an LDMA member driving by an obvious claim marker, they would know to stop and check the location notice. I understand that a beginner may not know what a claim marker is, but I wouldn't think a beginner would dig a hole in the middle of a dry creekbed either.

I have had beginners come on to my claim when I was there and I too extended the hospitality and my experience.

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm of the mind that I hope I DO catch somebody on my claim... Is it because I like chewing people out? No.. (though sometimes it does feel good when
somebody REALLY deserves it)...

I'd guess 90+ percent of people highgrading don't know they are doing it. 9% will know they are doing it and tuck their tail, and less than 1% are just a-holes.

I used to be incredibly protective of my claim.. Now... I realize I would have to live to be 7000 years old to process it all. Some extra hands, some extra brains, and
some extra equipment, and a new acquaintance would be kind of helpful.

6 or 8 weeks ago or so, I pulled up to the cattle gate on the road to my claim, and there was a lady there looking at rocks... I said hello, pulled up through the gate,
went to close it and asked her if she had found anything, "no, just poking around for something interesting".. About 15 minutes later, her head phones must have pulled
out, metal detector screaming from up at the top of the hill... I *almost* and I regret I didn't, drove back up and ask her to come down to my claim and swing that puppy around
and tell me where the good stuff is.

Better to make a friend than an enemy, its not like they are breaking through your front door and stealing your TV, almost everybody knows they shouldn't do that.... Knowing
where to dig, or where you can dig, that can be a giant confusing mess, and don't forget, your name and address is on the LR2000 and on the county paperwork. I'm not saying
don't be a giant prick, but don't go into the interaction as a prick, let the high graders decide if you should be a prick or not.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is something that any claim owner doesn't appreciate, yet I see it frequently on my claim and so do many. Were not in the 1800's living on our claims making a living, and if I stumbled upon something rich best believe it be camped out there working it until its payed out or if its really rich taking it to the next level and bring in some equipment and tell the boss to stick it where the sun dont shine, but that is highly unlikely. Mostly I just chuckle when I see holes dug on the claim as I kind of get a kick that someone was brave enough to hike that far into the middle of no where to dig in places where theres nothing anyways (at least where ive seen it dug) Might be upset if they were digging where I know there is gold but have yet to see it, of course if my claim where richer I might have a different opinion, but for the most part you are free to live and work and protect your claim just as the old timers did, its up to you to do just that based on what its worth to you. If you frequent your claim only a few times a year well better get use to the fact that people will be poking around there while your not, its just how it is. Doesn't make it right, but it the reality of it. Best to get out there as much as possible and work the best ground before someone else does :icon_thumright:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still to date the best hole I ever saw was at the confluence below the Cool Bridge on the American. Someone with a metal detector had got a great signal and had to keep digging. The hole was about 5 feet wide and close to 4 feet deep... And in the bottom of the hole was a partially uncovered complete old steel a frame and wood lighted traffic barricade with the light still blinking. He left his hole and the lights were on but nobody was home :evil6:

I had a pic years ago but this is the same style

timthumb.jpeg

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience well above 50 to 60% of hi-graders are not beginners...and either know or just plain don't care where they are digging.....

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If the rumor s true about LDMA people going onto your claim, , id go down to see the caretaker of their property and have a CALM discussion about it and ask that he advises people of the claim! and work with them on it! who knows , it may not be LDMA people!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread