Is this a legal prospecting strategy in California?

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of new to all of this and i don't want to land myself in trouble with the law or worse. So basically i would like to know if my plan is legal. I have done my own research and believe it is, but a second opinion would be nice. Here's the plan:

In a couple months i will be taking a roadtrip for a reunion. I have planned a route which has many stops at locations that are available to be claimed according to lr2000(i will verify at the blm office shortly before my trip).

The real question is, can i stop at each location, grab a couple buckets of dirt, label it, and then take it with me to process later once i get home?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I remember reading about the rules for collecting rocks on public land and 250 lb or less per day is OK.

That's 250 lb per year. 25 lbs plus one piece per day. Doesn't include rock collecting on mining claims or recreation/camping areas. Does not include U.S. acquired lands, does not include BOR, Army Corp, Study areas, Military lands and a lot more. You can not sell the rocks you collect.

Without knowing where the public land, recreation areas, mining claims etc are you can't collect squat. To collect rocks you need to do just as much research as if you were going to prospect - for gold.

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread