Blewett Pass WA club claims, or nah?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to get up to the pass area and do some prospecting, I did try some panning up there a few months ago but didn't really know what I was doing and came out empty handed. Anyway, are there good spots to go that aren't on claims, or should I join a club and which one is better? I was considering joining bedrock prospectors, they have a few claims on scotty and shaser creek which just seem cooler to me, and also N Central Wa Prospectors who have a few more claims but they're mostly all on the highway (boring). Also I heard that From Liberty Rd to the pass and within 200 ft of the highway is open to anyone, is that true and is there good gold to be found or do I need to head to a club claim?

Upvote 0

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi OwenT, first check out this video on youtube "Liberty Gold Mine Geology" by professor Zentner. This will explain why 16 lb. nuggets are found there plus wire gold. Both clubs you mentioned are great and they have a lot of experience mining that area. You will have to make the choice, go it alone or join a club and learn all you can from the members and also you may make some new friends too plus find some gold, you will be richer in all ways. Ed

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey OwenT,

Not true as to the open areas near Liberty to the pass. That was true a few years back but the withdrawn area was closed and claimed up to a fair thee well. There is a prospecting club in Gold Bar that has several claims near Liberty and other streams (Prospectors Plus, is the name I remember - they have a web site). Might be worth contacting if you live nearby. Pretty tough driving to get to the better claims - and then the gold is iffy. Not like Oregon, Calif., and Arizona.

Good Luck!

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi OwenT. check with the ranger station about that area, I know the area is open. Pm me and I will explain. Ed

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
I heard rumors that the area along the highway is back open but not sure. Other than that it's really hard to find ground along any of the creeks that's not under claim in that area. A club would be the best bet.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
The area being talked about is an area that I believe has been withdrawn and open to the public so wouldn't be shown as a claim.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A check of the Master Title Plat should show any withdrawn ground. (I think)

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This area has always been open to the public, not allowed to be claimed, it has been listed with the Gpaa and Wpma as open to the public, I have mined those areas with success. Land Matters does not show sadly such areas or the boundaries of the claims. So again check with the ranger station, good luck, Ed

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stan has it right. You need to check the MTP.

I did that for you.

The only withdrawal is the 200 foot withdrawal for Hwy 93 (Public Land Order 4518 August 28, 1968).

The land is not open to claim because it's not public land, it's reconveyed Railroad land since 1944. Until the Secretary of Agriculture makes a determination otherwise it's not open to prospecting or claiming. You can however apply for an oil and gas lease.

You don't have to take my word for it just look at the Master Title Plat yourself. You might just find something very interesting. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The withdrawn area on the liberty side of blewett pass is actually the right-of-way for highway 97. The property is owned by DOT not BLM and therefore not available for staking a claim. "open" is a different issue because the state DOT will probably not grant permission to mine, especially at the road crossings where mining activities may undermine the road

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just FYI - I was over at Blewett Pass area last Saturday and dredgers were shoulder to shoulder in the creeks. The creeks were very, and I mean very low in the higher locations. And it was hot I left AZ to get away from the heat and there's a record breaking heat wave up here. Fun time getting out an looking around anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions