Water

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As prospectors, water is always on our minds for many reasons. I would like to hear everyone take on drinking water and how you go about getting it.

So typically I hike or mountain bike to my digging locations. When I bike I have the option of attaching a trailer to one location but usually it hiking in like most. I assume the vast majority of us are walking to the locations. Obviously the less you can carry the better. I find that water takes up alot of space and adds weight.
I have been considering other options lately other then packing it in. First thing that came to mind was just building a fire and boiling,which probably just isn't practical in my area especially with the drought. People would freak out and probbaly not legal in most areas.
Then I started looking at filters. But it looks like while you might save some weight your still losing valuable space for whatever prospecting gear you would rather have.
I had read about and seen the Life straw before on tv. According to what I can find it has really good filtering and capacity capabilities,low cost and most importantly small size. Asmbandits and I were discussing this last weekend. For 20 bucks you get like 1500 liters or something crazy. I'm really thinking of ditching the water bottles and just going with this. There is plenty of water where I go so it's not like I'd be drinking out of mud puddles but getting sick would be a drag...
How well do these things work? Has anyone on here ever gotten sick why using a filter and more specifically the Life straw?

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at the Sawyer mini. It's a great little filter. Comes with a straw for drinking directly from water source, a fold up bag for use when filling your canteen or water bottle, plus an adapter for attaching it to a water bottle. Everything fits in a ziplock sandwhich bag with room to spare.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
Using a filter in already clean water is doable, but if it's not clear water it would be a last resort measure. Luckily I can go a whole day on not much water if I am in the water:laughing7: I would always pack water if you are that concerned about needing it, it's to easy to forget a filter

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After you left that day I ran out of water so gave the life straw a try, filled the gold pan with water and drank away. Didnt get sick or notice anything bad except the water although being crystal clear to start had a almost fishy taste to it, wasnt bad just noticed it.. I paid $18.50 for mine at big 5 and it says it will do a minimum of 2k gallons, id assume a lot more if the water your drinking is clean to start. Im sold and will being using it again with less worry, still going to pack in water for the most part but wont be rationing as much depending on conditions.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From the Sawyer specs-

0.1-micron filter physically removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium

If folks get sick using one of these it's usually due to inadvertant cross contamination not a defective filter

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Life Straw? I guess it depends on the stream. I've drank plenty of water straight from the rivers and never had a problem. But... We do have the Life Saver Jerry Can System and I do like the Life Saver bottle for hiking because when I am walking back up the mountain, I need water to drink. What I have done in the past when going to a place with known water issues in a deep canyon is take my filer and a medium size bottled water down with me. This gives me clean water to drink all day and with the filter, I just fill it and re use it as much as needed. Plus I fill the empty container that doesn't weigh anything after I drink it at the end of the day for the hike out. If you are using the same trail you can have a carry in to stash water and ropes, etc. at the bottom of the hill and then just pick it all up including the fresh filtered water to use on the way up. Some of the canyons that I use to climb were 1000' up on rope, so lots of water was needed. So carry a container and a container style filter when needed. If the going is easy where you are and you just plan on drinking all day from the river with an easy climb to the car then the Straw would work great but for most of what I do, I need water a long way from the source. We did our research on the Life Saver products and chose them over the others - LIFESAVER Products | View the Range

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Us Desert Rats only have one option most of the time.... Pack it in! Most of you know that when I'm out in the field I'm there for a month. This means 4 cases of drinking water plus 165 gallons of water for processing has to be brought in each month. Once I file for a claim I'll have to haul even more water for processing since I'll be running a lot more materials. I'm thinking of picking up one of those caged totes and having it out at the claim. A couple of trips and I can have it filled.

Now if the area I checked out today turns out to be good as it looks, I won't be having this problem since it's only 2-1/2 miles from the house. Can you say home for dinner and a nice hot shower every night? I knew you could!!!!

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Sawyer mini. It's a great little filter. Comes with a straw for drinking directly from water source, a fold up bag for use when filling your canteen or water bottle, plus an adapter for attaching it to a water bottle. Everything fits in a ziplock sandwhich bag with room to spare.

That's looks like the ticket right there. 100k gallons :eek:

2oz has a straw, can fit in line with a camel back and screws on to most water bottle for about 25 bucks. SOLD

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Reed those are cool, gonna get a couple of those, very handy indeed. However the Live Saver Jerry cans ($350) will have to wait a while as I'm just simple ol' po folk!

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the simple siphon now 15 years did not know that they made a bigger one thanks Reed!

Last edited:
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just ordered the Sawyer mini on EBay. 19 bucks shipped. Thanks Fowledup

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dos-equis-guy_300_232_c1.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread