East Fork San Gabriel River Flash flooding 7-19 2015

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was prospecting on the East Fork yesterday with a friend and we got hit by a flash flood, it wasn't even raining at our location. The water went from two feet to six feet plus in less than twenty seconds. It was pretty scary! So always remember to pay attention to whats going on around you. It may sound silly but we learn that it is always important to have a plan if something does go wrong! Trying to escape a raging river in the dark without a plan is not cool. Thankfully we did have a plan and no one was hurt. Here are a few videos of a normally calm stream . Be safe out there!

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you made it out alive. Should move some gold around.

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you made it out alive. Should move some gold around.

Thanks we are glad to be here to share the story. It got pretty scary for a bit. You can't out run mother nature!

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I herd forest Rangers are chasing miners out of there .

A couple of people were digging in the tree roots and killing the trees. They got tickets and are not welcome anymore. Shame a few can mess things up for everyone!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad ya got out OK.

That's something people should be aware of when working in any river, stream
or creek (wet or dry).

I live on the 2nd largest river in the state, and when they increase flow from the
dam(s) as far as 20 miles upriver, it can rise over 2' in just a matter of minutes.
More than once I've been up to my knees out in the river fishing for steelhead,
and suddenly that icy water was lapping over the top of my hipboots...
GAAAHsmiley.gif~original

OP
OP
E

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hahahah that's nuttn' as the flood that washed out the Follows Camp complex was a REAL SG flood-John

I am glad I was not in the canyon to experience it. Flash Floods are dangerous and no fun! Although they can bring nice gold.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
great vids
Dizzy,
way back in the day, just getting started, was on the NF American, confluence, sweeping up bedrock, hauled out the bucket and sluice to the river. took a little time setting up the sluice, just about knee deep, empty the 2/3 full five gal bucket, please to see a bit of color in the matt, got up to fill the bucket again took about half an hour, once filled headed back to the sluice box, water was at crouch level, greatful the box remained in place

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread