Gold with flashlight

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dynamicjim

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437592634.124492.jpg
Anybody know what this could be . Be finding it around my area near Quartz and sandy like soil . Is this mica looks real but is in slivers . Gold buyer acid tested it I think the lid was green on bottle. Can bend it also. Gold buyer didn't know what it is . Said it wasn't gold though.any opinions?

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Take a hammer to it, see if it flattens.
View attachment 1190581
Anybody know what this could be . Be finding it around my area near Quartz and sandy like soil . Is this mica looks real but is in slivers . Gold buyer acid tested it I think the lid was green on bottle. Can bend it also. Gold buyer didn't know what it is . Said it wasn't gold though.any opinions?

Dynamicjim

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes with flash light in top soil pile purchased .smaller flakes on a buddies property .ill try pounding it tomorrow.vinegar doesn't Change its appearance.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your description sounds like Mica especially if it has little weight compared to an equal sized stone. See below.

"Description:

Mica is a mineral name given to a group of minerals that are physically and chemically similar. They are all silicate minerals, known as sheet silicates because they form in distinct layers. Micas are fairly light and relatively soft, and the sheets and flakes of mica are flexible. Mica is heat-resistant and does not conduct electricity. There are 37 different mica minerals. The most common include: purple lepidolite, black biotite, brown phlogopite and clear muscovite"

PS Mica was actually used as insulation in houses back in the day. Our old house constructed back in the early 40's had a layer of Mica between the rafters above the ceiling for insulation. The expanded flakes could be squeezed flat from an original dimension of about 1/4" or larger and the layers peeled apart. What miners most often find now are individual layers and not intact larger pieces.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like Biotite Mica to me but...
>Take a needle or stick pin and poke it. If it breaks it's not gold, if it dents it could be gold. You can also hit it with a hammer if you don't care what shape it ends up in. Gold will flatten, most everything else with flake, crush, or crumble

>Next (or maybe first depending on the hammer scenario) get yourself a piece of porcelin or a chunk of tile, rub it across the unglazed side and tell us what color it is. Gold- yellow streak, Pyrite- greenish black, Mica - white or no streak.

>Gold shines but doesn't sparkle like glitter, hold it in the light and notice the shine, turn it in the light the shine shouldn't change, now shade it with your hand it should look the same

>Gold usually looks worn, rounded, or irregular. Mica and pyrite tend to be angular, sharper crystal type structures

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
You can find many many bright yellow flakes with a flashlight at the bottom of a creek or river...much quicker than digging and panning.

you guys are killing me, im too gullible for some of these ideas. natural sun makes gold stick out like a sore thumb. when im sniping its movement is what catches my attention first( when the sun is not shining directly in the hole). water has little affect on how gold falls. it is falling while everything else is suspended, when you see gold the first time there will be no mistaking it.

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
mercury covered gold looks like oxidized lead a little bit, when i find mercury covered gold its usually partially coverd, some have been totally covered, but still has a yellow tint. its not completely grey. that does not look like natural gold. could be jewelry trimmings. it looks like mica or pyrite. neat find none the less

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I put vmat on the bottom of my boots...it works great....that way I don't have to bend over when I see the gold on the bottom....I do this kinda chicken dance I'm sure it's funny to see from the boat....scrape scrape turn...sometimes I even cluck in my head.....I was using gold hog on my waders but when I would hit pays treats my feet would just plain get stuck....the stuff holds onto gold so well....that's why I don't bother using a sluice anymore....that and all of them are only 10% efficient anyway

Do us some video on that dance man ................... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread