Small miner can make more than a bigger one...

alexias2

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done some maths and found out how big the overhead cost for large scale placer mining is. The initial investment for buying the equipment is huge, then you have fuel cost, and greedy employees to pay, as well as food! At the end of it a yearly personal wage is only $90,000 or something modest.

Then I thought, a small scale miner using hand tools, and small power equipment could make a lot more. Even if it was a joint venture and it was drawn up as 50% profit to each member, the potential to become a millionaire is just off the map. They upkeep is almost not even $10 per day, you can have a coffee whenever you feel like it without your annoying employer yelling. You are annoyed less by environment government agencies. And you are digging in higher pay dirt since you a also sniping it, instead of spay and pray as do the larger boys do with their huge machinery that costs over $200 per hour on just a machine of fuel!

Upvote 0

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is getting ridiculous..

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is getting ridiculous..

First time I've ever taken advantage of an awesome tool in Settings.

It's the "Ignore List"...just add a name to it and you no longer have to
endure their posts....:occasion14:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tip dizzy, will be using this feature now.

It's still a shame that this person is let to miss direct and inform others that might not know any better. Also the amount of drama created in the process, you would think this would not be tolerated to preserve the integrity of the site.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done some maths and found out how big the overhead cost for large scale placer mining is. The initial investment for buying the equipment is huge, then you have fuel cost, and greedy employees to pay, as well as food! At the end of it a yearly personal wage is only $90,000 or something modest.

Then I thought, a small scale miner using hand tools, and small power equipment could make a lot more. Even if it was a joint venture and it was drawn up as 50% profit to each member, the potential to become a millionaire is just off the map. They upkeep is almost not even $10 per day, you can have a coffee whenever you feel like it without your annoying employer yelling. You are annoyed less by environment government agencies. And you are digging in higher pay dirt since you a also sniping it, instead of spay and pray as do the larger boys do with their huge machinery that costs over $200 per hour on just a machine of fuel!

If you can do that, go do it! I look forward to seeing your results :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I suspect some individuals might find mining mucus solids from their own proboscis a significant and imposing challenge:angel3::angel2::angel1:

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I am thinking your are not only underestimating the difficulty of what you speak and are GREATLY over estimating your abilities. If it was this easy, then EVERYBODY would be doing it. The "math" of mining rarely works out the same in reality as it does on paper.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You need to think big! Just buy the gold from the miners, then sell it! You can make $0.10 a dwt.( or up to -$40 a dwt.) And never leave your computer or your house! Think of the possibilities.......Shhhhh don't tell anyone! It's a hidden secret!:laughing7:

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually, all you have to do is click on their name, going into their profile. There's a selection under their name to ignore user. Far more simple than adding their name to a list.

S

stefen

Actually, all you have to do is click on their name, going into their profile. There's a selection under their name to ignore user. Far more simple than adding their name to a list.

I been wantin to do this to you fur years...so now all I have to do is push yur button...just kidding...:laughing7:

A day is not wasted if you learn at least one thing new (and useful)

JimmyJamJar

Greenie
Jul 2, 2015
On the Murray River, in the State of Victoria, Aus
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro. + Nokta RS PP.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear alexias2 Re: Small miner can make more than bigger one ( Ask around, BIG is always better)

Maths.
Millionaires.
Make a lot more.
Joint Ventures -----------I don't do drugs I get a big enough rush when I stand up quickly.
Employers yelling.
Higher pay dirt.
Spay and pray ----------This sounds like an under arm deodorant.
Machine of fuel.

Off the map ------------ Which map are you on?

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Mining numbers on paper and those of real life NEVER match up. It's common knowledge that if two miners are working grounds that have equal value to them, the the one that can move and process more dirt wins. If one can afford a nice loader to feed his wash plant and the other is using pick and shovel, of course the pick and shovel guy will have a higher profit margin. However the guy with the loader can have his claim cleaned out and be on to the next area months if not years before Mr. Pick and Shovel. This is why a PROFESSIONAL MINER will have several claims in his pocket at all times. When one pays out, it's on to the next without having to take time to locate new ground. Time is money and if a bit higher overhead can save me time then I for one am willing to take a bit less on the margin.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't really have any experience in mining.....I do know that 50% profit to each member can run into more problems than you can think of. You would really have to know and trust the person, When your not making much money they might steal from you, and when your making a lot they might find ways to steal or not work as hard. I'd rather be employed, the employer, but never a joint venture.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Geez guys cut em some slack! A Practical application of facts is not a prerequisite to be a part of the opposition, they look more for those that lean towards the social dependency arts like Bovine Scientology, grifting, and the practical application of the Lemming syndrome. His figures may seem a bit off to some of us but hey if they were ever needed for a scientific study or as evidence in a court case I'm sure they'd be just fine!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez guys cut em some slack! A Practical application of facts is not a prerequisite to be a part of the opposition, they look more for those that lean towards the social dependency arts like Bovine Scientology, grifting, and the practical application of the Lemming syndrome. His figures may seem a bit off to some of us but hey if they were ever needed for a scientific study or as evidence in a court case I'm sure they'd be just fine!

Ahhhh!!!! Just like all those reports the Sierra Fund and the C.B.D. used to get dredging banned in California. Since you put it THAT way Fowled it makes perfect sense!!! ROFLMAO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread