fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I strongly disagree. We should show pictures of mining and mining life in a good light and ignore anything otherwise. All that is shown and addressed in the publics eye is what is perceived as bad, so that's what those without any knowledge or exposure associate mining with. The Disney effect! We all love what we do and shouldn't be apologetic or ashamed of it, when we give in or buy into their bs they win. We provide more hands on good for this planet than 99% of the bumper sticker ridden, hybrid driving, city dwelling conscience clearing idjits that think by supporting and funding those opposing us they are doing their part to fix the planet. BS! We love your stories and pics don't deprive us to quelch them it won't work and gives them the win.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I strongly disagree. We should show pictures of mining and mining life in a good light and ignore anything otherwise. All that is shown and addressed in the publics eye is what is perceived as bad, so that's what those without any knowledge or exposure associate mining with. The Disney effect! We all love what we do and shouldn't be apologetic or ashamed of it, when we give in or buy into their bs they win. We provide more hands on good for this planet than 99% of the bumper sticker ridden, hybrid driving, city dwelling conscience clearing idjits that think by supporting and funding those opposing us they are doing their part to fix the planet. BS! We love your stories and pics don't deprive us to quelch them it won't work and gives them the win.

I like to show mining pics , its just looking at some of my stuff i can see where other folks (non mining ) might think it looks bad.
like you guys were talking about the effects of showing trash n mining together.

showing mining work may also have the same negative effect on the massses.

Dont know just somethings i think about whilst diggin.
GT.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In some ways I think the thought that digging up the earth means permanent destruction is the biggest sterotype that needs to be addressed. Why do we smile when we see kids playing in the mud digging holes and tearing up the lawn? Or laugh at a dog going for a gopher. Why is it legal for people to dig holes to China at a beach or lake and illegal for a detectorist to dig and backfill a spot a fraction of the size? We'll ruin a natural geological feature by turning it into a spa and mud bath, but condemn a hole in a river bed that will get filled back in no time. It's ridiculous, it's dirt folks ,pretty resilent stuff. We get chastised for digging or dredging a 4'x4' hole by the guy who has a huge water wasting in ground swimming pool somewhere in earth consuming suburbia! Show a clean dig op with nothing but folks smiling and enjoying themselves- ignore and refuse to acknowledge the oppositions ignorance and hypocrisy.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing wrong with mining pictures. It's what we do.
Here's a hole for you. One of 11 samples taken on the NM property. Each about 9 - 12 foot to an intrusive bedrock dome.

nm2.jpg

nm1.jpg

Heavy Pans

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing wrong with mining pictures. It's what we do.
Here's a hole for you. One of 11 samples taken on the NM property. Each about 9 - 12 foot to an intrusive bedrock dome.

View attachment 1191227

View attachment 1191228

Heavy Pans

I would proudly show friends, strangers, passerbys and those totally uninterested both of those pics. The more people we can get interested in mining the better. I am taking a group out in a couple of weeks that have never been mining ever. So Grab your uninitiated neighbor and take them with you on your next outing. On a secondary and non related note SB637 in California was passed in the Senate, bad for miners. My Rep Ted Gaines voted against the bill and I wrote him to thank him for the try. If your Senator voted against this insidious legislation send them a note.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would proudly show friends, strangers, passerbys and those totally uninterested both of those pics. The more people we can get interested in mining the better. I am taking a group out in a couple of weeks that have never been mining ever. So Grab your uninitiated neighbor and take them with you on your next outing. On a secondary and non related note SB637 in California was passed in the Senate, bad for miners. My Rep Ted Gaines voted against the bill and I wrote him to thank him for the try. If your Senator voted against this insidious legislation send them a note.

Knew it was gonna happen but I'm happy our's voted nay as well Sen Jim Nielsen, has been very supportive of mining in the past as well. Might be cause he's tired of hearing from 2cmorau and I, LOL

Yep our pictures should be happy and truthful and looked at in a way that any lay person who see's them say's to themselves "Hey what's the harm in that? I'd like to try it myself!"

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not to jump topics but here is an analogy....
When visiting Texas in the fall you will see restaurants offering hunters breakfast specials, hunting banners across main street and rifles in every truck window.
I live in the politically correct Northwest and if a rifle was spotted in a gun rack of a Ford, someone would call SWAT.
The point here is ...in Texas, Montana and some other places, seeing armed people is an accepted thing because its common.
Here at home I intentionally open carry in public, not because I am afraid of anything but because people need to stay comfortable with seeing me enjoy my rights.

To hide this would only promote surprise, fear and scorn when they do happen to see it.

We should not hide our mining. It is lawful, serves a necessary purpose and contributes to a whole society. If we hide what we do we will only be met with surprise and negativity when they do happen to see it.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to jump topics but here is an analogy....
When visiting Texas in the fall you will see restaurants offering hunters breakfast specials, hunting banners across main street and rifles in every truck window.
I live in the politically correct Northwest and if a rifle was spotted in a gun rack of a Ford, someone would call SWAT.
The point here is ...in Texas, Montana and some other places, seeing armed people is an accepted thing because its common.
Here at home I intentionally open carry in public, not because I am afraid of anything but because people need to stay comfortable with seeing me enjoy my rights.

To hide this would only promote surprise, fear and scorn when they do happen to see it.

We should not hide our mining. It is lawful, serves a necessary purpose and contributes to a whole society. If we hide what we do we will only be met with surprise and negativity when they do happen to see it.

Lets see some mining holes, so i dont feel like the only DIGGER out here..................

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
128 yards worth,
i just like mining and like to see work.
give us folks that live out in these bushes somethin to talk about round the campfire, as the desert its a lonely place at times.

GT...................

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's funny dig a hole pour concrete build a house, dig for a pool and that's ok. but don't dig, suck a hole looking for gold,silver or any thing else sic-sic-sic Bll

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Leaving 1st thing in the AM, Mining holes to follow... 8-)

20150727_085631 (1) (Medium).jpg

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GT, as soon as I can stay off the dang operating table and can get healed up I promise to show mining pictures every chance I get! In fact as soon as I'm able I'll drive up and at least take pictures of the other guys getting after it.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
like i said its a lonley place out here we dont talk politics so all we have is mining and ROCK TALK,
so seeing others work gives us something to talk about.
the gold its just a pay chk the new wore off the yellow a long time ago, so talking about gold well its no fun unless its a lot or big.

GT.......................

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438042678.069832.jpg Ducky standing in my hole in Villa Rica last month. Deeper than the creek is wide!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Making good progress. We have Cleaned about 30 of creek bottom and bedrock is extremely jagged. The hole in front of the dredge is about 6' down to bottom and lots of deep cracks. Moved about 20 yards so far and hove about a half oz. of Gold and 2 oz. of HG.
New clients come in tomorrow, the hole is finished so we can start throwing cobbles behind us which will speed the production. There is a nice layer of square nails and junk iron about a foot down leftover from the mill site and it's paying well below that.
More pics later
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1438494984.637510.jpg

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In case anyone is curious, GT and his boys are half jack hammer/ half ditch witch. Been there and seen that for myself and its impressive, Herb I had to say it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread