Leveling the sluice without a spirit level

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a neat little app at the Google App Store (Android OS). It uses your a smart phone to provide a digital readout of any angle, much like a spirit level and protractor, but without the guesswork. We all have our cell phone with us, so why not eliminate another piece of stuff to lug along in order to set the sluice at the proper angle of the dangle. Check out the following link and determine whether or not it's workable for you. I always have my phone safely contained in double zip-lock baggies when on the water, to keep it dry.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

Best of luck

Upvote 0

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At 71, I can't see having a phone smarter than I am. I have a dumb phone. No apps for me.
Found a neat little app at the Google App Store (Android OS). It uses your a smart phone to provide a digital readout of any angle, much like a spirit level and protractor, but without the guesswork. We all have our cell phone with us, so why not eliminate another piece of stuff to lug along in order to set the sluice at the proper angle of the dangle. Check out the following link and determine whether or not it's workable for you. I always have my phone safely contained in double zip-lock baggies when on the water, to keep it dry.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

Best of luck

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just glue a spirit level onto the side of the sluice?

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If ya got an s5 this would be kinda nice because their water resistant. I probably wouldn't do it with another phone though, that could lead to a bad day lol.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
God gave me 2 eyes so need for techno tomfoolery to run a box-John

While some apps are nice, we sometimes get too dependent on them. Like the blond in the parking lot with a bag of groceries in her arms, obviously distressed. A gentleman passing by asked if he could help. "Well, I can't get into my car." was the answer as she pushed the button on the automatic door opener, "battery must be dead." He said, "Let me have your keys," which she passed to him, but repeated, "The battery is dead." He took the keys, inserted the correct one in the door and opened it.

Sort of like kids today who cannot do addition and subtraction without a calculator (let alone multiply or divide).

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, agree John
many-a-times helping others set up sluice, HB, dredge, DW, they would whip out a torpedo level, what's that for i asked? got hurt a few times falling down with laughter,
water flow and angle throw some dirt in adjust accordingly, fast water, flatter slope to box, so on and so on

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found early on that precise leveling can get you started but eyeballing during operation will get it closer to correct.
Now if they just come up with a dig here app:laughing7:

Hey, if that "Dig Here" app is accurate, sign me up. I am assuming you still have to get there for the app to say, "Dig Here." I hope you can calibrate it; you know, "Dig Here" for 1.0 gram for 50 five gal buckets (or whatever) or "Dig Here" for 2.0 grams, etc. And then there has to be the depth gauge app to go with it. "Dig Here" for 1.0 oz/ton with bedrock 40 feet below.

There are probably some more additions that would be useful; I am sure TN readers would have suggestions. :)

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing about water is that if you can get it to stop moving it assumes a level position. That app is a useful tool for other things, but if I hear a phone ring while I am panning I go phycotic, sometimes. : )

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
God gave me 2 eyes so need for techno tomfoolery to run a box-John

Beat me to it, hojo
Adjust until it "looks" right and shovel on.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everyone beat me to it too, but thanks again for sharing the ap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread