Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It'll be easier than sluices which eat classified paydirt. But you already knew that ;)

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say it's still hard work, I got a bad back but it hasn't hurt as bad running a bazooka all day as it did being bent over classifying material for half the day.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I know the answer but will ask it anyways. I have health issues that limit my physical activity so would it be stupid to purchase a 36' Prospector model or would it make my life easier?

If you can still get out and shovel (as Jimmydolittle asked), why not use a Bazooka? It is easy to set up, easy to use, and as KevinInColorado and CA Gold Hunter noted, no classifying. That latter makes it much easier.

And you can shovel as fast or as slow as you physically are able or want to do, but fast or slow--you still move more dirt than if you had to classify. That means more gold, which means in my book, life is easier.

(Just don't think more is better and move up to the 48" Miner; that sucker is HEAVY after a day of shoveling.) :)

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya I actually just picked up a sniper because of lower water flows so it's easier to setup than my prospector. I'll probably only use my prospector now if I have a few friends that want to go to. That sniper has no problem keeping up with me, I have a hard time keeping up with it lol.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm an orthopedic nightmare and the bazooka is way easier on me. If mobility is the issue and you have the flow, I'd get the prospector as you can simply pour a bucket, scoop, hand dredge, or shovel on to it without stooping down or kneeling. Have to be a little more hands on with the sniper more kneeling and slower feeding. The other beauty of it is you can dump the cons into a coffee can or ziplock to be processed later at home where you can set up a little friendlier processing station.

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running a BGT without classifying is part of my reduction in back pain therapy. Along with proper stretches and an inversion table. All is good now!

Seriously, I'm not sure why so many folks still run stream sluices that almost certainly require classification of material. Heck, buy one of these and kiss the classifying good bye!

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sale "Classifiers" LOL, Those were just the answers I needed. Thanks guys.
I can use the shovel just can't pack a lot of heavy equipment very far.
Sounds like a bazooka, 13 lbs, 2 buckets, 4 lbs and a shovel AKA walking stick would be the ticket to have a good day on a cool creek.
Thanks for convincing me. I needed that little push to get one ordered.

OP
OP
fishnfacts

fishnfacts

Mar 26, 2014
Chicago, Il. Northside
Detector(s) used
BH Disc 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I see one of those mini excavators I think "Now that's what I need for prospecting." LOL I wonder if there is anyplace locally that would let you get away with one. LOL

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every time I see one of those mini excavators I think "Now that's what I need for prospecting." LOL I wonder if there is anyplace locally that would let you get away with one. LOL

Me too! I used to operate a 20hp mini-ex for my family's plumbing biz when I was 18-20...they are great fun to run and really move the dirt once you get the hang of em. My dad built custom ramps so we could (just barely) transport it in the bed of a full sized pickup truck.

goldgit'r

Apr 18, 2011
Florence S.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I bought a Kamotsu pc 05 mini excavator to feed my trommel and I love it.
I wrote it off as a business expense!:laughing7:

Wes

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can dump out a prospector in a pan instead of a bucket but after a full day of shoveling a 36" might start getting a little heavy because of the amount of water weight in it. You might want to look a sniper as it it a little smaller yet very versatile. It all depends on what will work for your situation. Just a thought. Whichever you pick you will not be sorry about the ability to capture gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread