Found a new beach!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to a beach improvement idea, they trucked a bunch of sand in. Now, the black sand is starting to appear at the waterline and is about 1/2" thick. The dry area on the beach seems to be a mixture of small stones, clay and sand, and somewhat hard to dig with a hand scoop. Panning the mix gave me about 1/8 of a pan of black sand, so it's rich in magnetite. Hit a #100 on the third pan during the sampling. The trucked sand looks and acts like the stuff from upstream of the beach I was working that got washed out.

Also got to talk to a woman who was interested, and set her straight about recreational/amature mining. She thought the miners in her home state (Cali) were destroying the streams. The trucked sand was a perfect example of a hard packed river bottom, and through that, she understood what we do to help the rivers fish population.

A good day!

Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Any day you can find gold AND teach someone that has misunderstandings about miners the truth is a good day for all of us.

One area I was looking at claiming south of Tucson had part of the Arizona Trail running through it and I often had hikers passing by as I was working. It wasn't uncommon for them to stop and I always did my best to show them that miners are true stewards of the land. More than one went away being much better educated about modern small scale mining than they were when they arrived. Met some great people as they passed through as well as some real characters.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any day you can find gold AND teach someone that has misunderstandings about miners the truth is a good day for all of us.

One area I was looking at claiming south of Tucson had part of the Arizona Trail running through it and I often had hikers passing by as I was working. It wasn't uncommon for them to stop and I always did my best to show them that miners are true stewards of the land. More than one went away being much better educated about modern small scale mining than they were when they arrived. Met some great people as they passed through as well as some real characters.

...and those passing thru met a great guy who is also a real character I think! ;)

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol Thanks Kev. I've always enjoyed sharing knowledge with others and if I can make it humorous in the process... so much the better!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread