Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling all dreamers,

LEAVING FLORIDA. I have the good fortune to head West for several months each year and have the opportunity to go almost anywhere to prospect! (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona) Plan to start in Edmonds WA and have made some contacts near there to share gold adventures. Then, we will head South either through Oregon or Utah to California and Arizona. Plan to do some drywashing in NM on the way back to FL.

So here is the question: If you were in my shoes, where would you like to spend your time? What would be YOUR dream location? No holds barred.

Like everything though, there are some realities. For example, my wife and I are both in the late seventies. So hiking to remote spots for several days won't come true for us. We like to pan and sluice. Don't own a highbanker or drywasher - but hey, money is no particular object, and buying equipment or hiring a guide are all within reason. Heck, I have no problem with paying to mine, joining local clubs to share their claims, or anything else.

But remember, this is your dream. What would you do? I will learn more from hearing about your dream adventure, than asking advice about mine. Fun and adventure, other than that all bets are off.

Best regards to all, thanks for sharing, Thurman

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill (saf),

Everyone on this list supports your dream. Just think, prospect responsibly when and where you want. Like in the old days. If we could only have the old days today. Personally, I do not have the time or passion for fighting big Govt., but I support those that do. Call me a wimp. I have taken local govt. to court, learned how to play in civil court, and after 6 years threw in the towel. But I did get the Mayor and two commissioners out of office. My legal career is over.

All the best, Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Kevin,

Don't wait four years. Take a leave of absence and do it now.

Besides, 4 feet off any road in gold country, and big bad things are waiting for you. But the worst part are the small things. The MOSQUITOS. Watch all the hunting, prospecting and fishing shows from Alaska. After the camera is off, they quickly put the mosquito netting back on! Everything flake is seen through netting. But hey, go for it! At least they speak english up there.

Thurman
!

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed,

You are one of my heros. I have watched countless videos of yours and enjoyed every one. Sometimes twice. You really have the fever and seem to have some creative approach to everything - you really do some wild things. Best of all, you take the trouble to document it for all of us. It cannot be easy. Hope everything turns out right for you and the dreams continue. Any suggestions for California or Oregon would be appreciated. Keep up the good work.

Regards, Thurman

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman,

I have some 12, 15, and 20 year old Glenwhatever waiting for you. Name the time and place. We will be in Prescott Valley in October. I have looked at your Arizona Gold Adventures several times, most recently today. What are you doing in White Plains, NY? Give me some names/whatever in Arizona that you may suggest. A helicopter may be beyond my means, but just barely.

All the best, Thurman

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole summer touring Alaska with a 4x4, trailer and my wife. Oh, right, I'm doing that in a few years!

What my 8th grade science instructor used to do was ferry cars and RV's up to Alaska during the summers. He'd also pan enough gold as he went to roughly pay for rest of the trip that the ferry job didn't cover. Just a thought!

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoldDog,

So where is your kennel? I will get out the map and see where Tujunga, CA is. Yes, it would be great to join forces with some TNeters. Anyone with ideas, let's hear them.

Bestg regards, Thurman

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A whole summer touring Alaska with a 4x4, trailer and my wife. Oh, right, I'm doing that in a few years!

You are not allowing yourselves enough time.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are not allowing yourselves enough time.

So are you saying I should plan a second trip the following summer? Oh, twist my arm...um ok!

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To name a couple clubs that I know of for sure: East Bay Prospectors(GPAA), free to join, has club claims that are not GPAA. Delta Golddiggers (also GPAA). I don't have the names but there is a club in Auburn, and one in Oroville. I think you can get contact info from the GPAA website under chapters

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Mike,

Now THAT is some really nice looking gold. GNARLY! I envy you, living where you do and having a claim. Oh, I know the blood, sweat and tears that it must have taken for the research and jumping through the endless hoops to make it happen. In case no one has said it, I am really proud for you. To see real, actual, hard work pay off for some one really makes me happy. The fact that you did it. No silver platter or govt. give-away.

If you have suggestions for access or clubs in the area I would appreciate feedback. All the best,

Thurman

You can also look into the new 49ers. They charge for membership but I think they offer a free trial period. They have good claims in the North state near oregon border. UPI is another choice. They have club claims on most of the Feather forks.google them for website/contact info.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can also look into the new 49ers. They charge for membership but I think they offer a free trial period. They have good claims in the North state near oregon border. UPI is another choice. They have club claims on most of the Feather forks.google them for website/contact info.

They also have a Associate Memberships for $100 which gets you a week on their properties plus free invites to group prospecting, meetings, etc. Might now be too bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread