Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calling all dreamers,

LEAVING FLORIDA. I have the good fortune to head West for several months each year and have the opportunity to go almost anywhere to prospect! (Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona) Plan to start in Edmonds WA and have made some contacts near there to share gold adventures. Then, we will head South either through Oregon or Utah to California and Arizona. Plan to do some drywashing in NM on the way back to FL.

So here is the question: If you were in my shoes, where would you like to spend your time? What would be YOUR dream location? No holds barred.

Like everything though, there are some realities. For example, my wife and I are both in the late seventies. So hiking to remote spots for several days won't come true for us. We like to pan and sluice. Don't own a highbanker or drywasher - but hey, money is no particular object, and buying equipment or hiring a guide are all within reason. Heck, I have no problem with paying to mine, joining local clubs to share their claims, or anything else.

But remember, this is your dream. What would you do? I will learn more from hearing about your dream adventure, than asking advice about mine. Fun and adventure, other than that all bets are off.

Best regards to all, thanks for sharing, Thurman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Building a 10 inch dredge on a pontoon boat and head up the Missouri River unnoticed during the Fall when the Rivers are lower! and have a underwater camara mounted on the nozzle because im 68 and beat up!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if your up for a 3/4 mile day hke and Highbankin on my claim more then welcome

Fowledup and I have been discussing a floattrip in Alaska with some pals, make a loop rafting and floating dredges down a river, would be nice if we were not so toreup from all them years of constuction, or recently in my case, ground came up and tripped my arse and broke my ankle

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Russau and 2cmorau are right on!

I know about being toreup. But oh-yeah a 10 incher on the Missouri! I could stay top-side, cook the vittles and keep the beverages cold. We could use Tom Sawyer's experience as a guide. I would really support the rafting float loop in an Alaska river. Plan it and make it happen Russau. Otherwise, you will end up in my shoes....wondering what-if, if only... Do it now. No matter what or who, we all end up with more money than time.

Along with my new 36 inch Sniper, we do have a couple Minelab X-Terra 70's. However, that Arizona mineralization and hot rocks eat it alive.

Thank you kindly for the invitation Tooseemoreofyou. The generous spirit here is humbling. That may even be possible. Shopping at Walmart is almost 3/4 mile (but it is flat). Is it possible to sluice, or is it still water?

Keep those dreams coming. Thurman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually love the X-terra 705 Thurman. I've had great luck with them here in Arid-Zona. You might want to add a stop in the Kingman area as well. LOTS of open ground with gold in it around here.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Golden,

Thanks for your help in the past and today's come-back. We normally pass through Kingman on the way to Prescott via Chino Valley on 68.

Nice fellow at the prospecting shop in Prescott Valley looked at my Xterra 700 - then tested it in a container of local soil and rocks with a tube to place specimens. It failed the test. Yet here in FL I have no problem detecting small nuggets (test targets in a vial). I will try again when I get to AZ with my targets in "my" bucket.

Do you mostly detect or drywash? Are there drywashers for sale in Kingman? I have a puffer under construction but it will not be finished in time for the trip.

There is strange looking "town" between Kingman and my turn off to Chino Valley/Prescott. Roads and houses going off North and South of 40 into the distance. Mostly run down houses and real estate offices. Looks like you may not even want to stop! Not listed on several maps I have, but many interesting dry washes. I think I can see mine tailings in the hill from the freeway headed east as you come out of the valley.

Best regards, Thurman

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Thurman,
If I had it my way, and I do not, I would be somewhere along the North Fork of the American River (NFAR) in NorCal with a gold pan, simple tools for crack cleaning, a sifter for classifying dirt samples, a BGT Mini for in water work and my GMT detector. I've found gold with all of these in there. Now I happen to be 71.25 years of age though I still go "in there" for two weeks at a time, last trip was summer 2013, with an 85+ pound backpack hiking down hill for ~ 3,000 vertical feet and at reaching the bottom of the canyon turning up or down river to hike for another hour or so before making camp. I guarantee you it is a beautiful place even if you drive in way lower on the river like out of Colfax. What I do/where I go IS NOT for everyone but those who can survive such an ordeal come away with some awesome experiences. Best of luck with your time on the road and be sure to take good care of yourself and especially your wife as any wife who is willing or happy to go along with you is worth taking good care of......................63bkpkr

062.JPG 169_6908.JPG PICT0712.JPG

First picture is from up on the top where the 4 x 4 unit would be parked with Reno/Tahoe in the background.
Second picture is down in there in an especially rough area to hike into, long hike very rough hiking in.
The third is in another extremely rough place to get into (cross country without a trail carrying in ~ 200 lbs worth of gear) I formed the 'high ground' for my tent when I trenched both sides of the creek trying to lower the level of the pool (in back of the tent) so I could dredge it. The pool was still too deep when I finished but I still tried my best.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Golden,

Thanks for your help in the past and today's come-back. We normally pass through Kingman on the way to Prescott via Chino Valley on 68.

Nice fellow at the prospecting shop in Prescott Valley looked at my Xterra 700 - then tested it in a container of local soil and rocks with a tube to place specimens. It failed the test. Yet here in FL I have no problem detecting small nuggets (test targets in a vial). I will try again when I get to AZ with my targets in "my" bucket.

Do you mostly detect or drywash? Are there drywashers for sale in Kingman? I have a puffer under construction but it will not be finished in time for the trip.

There is strange looking "town" between Kingman and my turn off to Chino Valley/Prescott. Roads and houses going off North and South of 40 into the distance. Mostly run down houses and real estate offices. Looks like you may not even want to stop! Not listed on several maps I have, but many interesting dry washes. I think I can see mine tailings in the hill from the freeway headed east as you come out of the valley.

Best regards, Thurman

No Problem Thurman. Always glad to help. We're two blocks off of 68 on the east side of the valley before you hit 93 over Coyote Pass so you've got no excuse for not stopping by! We just joined up with the Mohave Prospectors and I have access to loaner equipment (Dry washers and detectors) through them for a week at a time. Joined up with them so I could learn drywashing as well as have access to about 300 acres of claims through out the area. I myself run a recirc system and am in need of a new detector. I've found lots of open areas with gold in them, but nothing (so far) that I want to file a claim on. Still... Plenty of areas for detecting within a few miles of the house here. Send me a PM with your contact info and we can start making plans if you want to spend a day or two in this neck of the woods.

EDIT: I think that area you're talking about is Seligman, AZ. That's where Rt66 joins back up with the 40. We had to go over to the V.A. Hospital in Prescott a couple of weeks ago and came back thru Seligman and down Rt66 to Kingman. Some nice looking areas up that way and a very relaxing drive compared to the 40.

Last edited:

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My Dream would be that every one on the West coast could get back in the water with NO BS from any of the greenes or FS, BLM, or from there State.

Best wishes every one. Dream Big, Think big or stay at home!

Bill

Kuntzy

Jul 24, 2015
North Vernon IN
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My dream trip would be to go to into the backcountry near Prescott or Kingman Arizona for 2 weeks with a metal detector, a dry washer and my 3 kids to share the fun and hardships with.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey backpacker,

I read your Dream a couple weeks ago. Haven't responded as I was busy finishing my Bazooka Launch Pad (see the Sluicing section) and packing for the trip West. Now we are in Memphis TN headed for Seattle.

At 71.25, you must be the fittest person in CA! At 77.5 I would be dragging way back. When we head South from Seattle, I may look into possible access near Colfax as you suggested. Perhaps join a club near there and get some help using club claims etc. The North Fork of the American River looks like a dream. How exciting a two week trip "in there" must be! Why didn't I take up this obsession about 50 years ago!?

Thanks for your remarkable post and pictures.

Best regards, Thurman

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I skipped ahead. I imagine you picked up a few offers here in this thread. In your position I'd love to follow a route to meetup with as many TNet'ers as I could.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Thurman,
I've backpacked that country for 50 years, rafted the river and have gone up many of its side canyons but not all of them by any means. Some absolutely awesome trips, even the bad ones had their good moments. Finding fishing experiences up side canyons with 24" long rainbow trout, having wonderful times with all of my children, bringing friends in to share the experience or going it alone it has always been amazing. Currently I am in Texas, likely the furthest place away from what I have been used to. I've a trip planned for a NorCal experience in 2016 just after the 4th of July, we will see how this works out. I stay in shape as best I can though I'd have to say I'm doing pretty good at it, just keep it up for a few more months and I should be in perfect shape for a "good trip". Hope your drive works out well for you...........................63bkpkr

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Follow your dreams. I hit Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and California this one year. Karen & I were supposed to hit Idaho and Oregon this year but we've had a sister in the hospital for over a month and we are going down to our claim next week for a few days camping for the first time this year. I haven't even been swimming once and the last outting we went on was the miners bash. Strange year for us but we have had some great times this year. We hit Yosemite twice and you should too but the Spring is best here for that.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcAJzGCJ3Q7z0HLr6W8FIrEGFKE-_1lBV

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While passing through California, you may want to check any of the three forks of the Feather River. This is the northern extension of the Mother Lode belt. Breathtaking canyon views, limited accessibility, and good gold can still be found. But you'll need to do some research or hook up with some local clubs. My claim is on a feeder creek to the Middle Fork. Here's last weekend's take:

DSCF1203.JPG

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to do Ga,Va,NC SC, Idaho and Oregon with the 2 best prospectors I know. My 8 and 6 year old children.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would outfit myself and my Honey for 15-days of drywashing and dredging in late October - early November, and hire a helicopter pilot to fly us deep into Arizona's Bradshaw Mountains. We would camp near the ancient waterfall, drywash the dry feeder creeks, dredge the three-foot deep stream, and detect for nuggets on the hillsides. At night we would enjoy our favorite beverages - Single Malt Scotch for me, followed by some locally grown herb. There is NOTHING like the Arizona night sky when you are deep in the mountains. You can read a book by starlight!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Wow Terry that sounds good! when I was up in Alaska about 15 years ago and was flying 280 miles north of Fairbanks , I was constantly looking out the window and thinking the same thought as you. Except it would have been with 4 guys and a dredge and camp supplies for 4 weeks. Darn what a good dream that was!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A whole summer touring Alaska with a 4x4, trailer and my wife. Oh, right, I'm doing that in a few years!

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Mike,

Now THAT is some really nice looking gold. GNARLY! I envy you, living where you do and having a claim. Oh, I know the blood, sweat and tears that it must have taken for the research and jumping through the endless hoops to make it happen. In case no one has said it, I am really proud for you. To see real, actual, hard work pay off for some one really makes me happy. The fact that you did it. No silver platter or govt. give-away.

If you have suggestions for access or clubs in the area I would appreciate feedback. All the best,

Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread