Parker Dam Question?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't heard anything on this Reed but will check into it for you. It's not too far from my place and I want to know if those idjits are going to be ripping off the people yet again.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can't find anything on it but ya know it's coming! Keep an eye on the NID monthly minutes, the Bear River Watershed monthly agenda, and the grants being let out by the Sierra Nevada Conservancy. Anything they do will be done thru NID. The Sierra Fund website is getting more and more tight lipped, and worthless. Guess thats what ya do when your a 501 c3 non profit org. that knows their lobbying and political actions are illegal and are starting to get worried that their gonna get caught! Come on Momma Karma!

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a meeting on the Parker Dam tonight at Placer Hills School in Meadowvista at 6pm.
copied -
TO ANYONE WHO IS OPPOSED TO THE BUILDING OF THE PARKER DAM ON THE BEAR RIVER IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU ATTEND THIS MEETING:
WEDNESDAY AUGUST 5TH
6PM
PLACER HILLS SCHOOL
MEADOW VISTA

11826024_911997038847899_6899233981826332067_n.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... now I feel like a total dummy! When you said Parker Dam I thought you were talking about the Parker Dam on the Colorado River. I know there are some campgrounds there but I don't know any of the names. Silly Irishman that I am assumed and screwed up.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is NID dredging on Rollins Res right now?

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I checked the dam is a go and will help with allowing a steady release from Rollins for electrical generating and still to catch it in the new lake. It should burry the campground completely and almost down to Dog Bar road I think. Was planned for a long time ago and finally going to happen. Sad to think of what will be buried bellow...:dontknow:

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I checked the dam is a go and will help with allowing a steady release from Rollins for electrical generating and still to catch it in the new lake. It should burry the campground completely and almost down to Dog Bar road I think. Was planned for a long time ago and finally going to happen. Sad to think of what will be buried bellow...:dontknow:

It's not a sure thing yet, yes they are trying and money talks but it hasn't been finalized yet. It's still in the beginning of planning stage. Personally, I was down there today and had a great day at the river. There were people getting gold all over and having great fun. If NID gets their way it will end public gold mining on the Bear. The Dam will bury everything from way below Dog Bar up almost to 174. The camp ground will be under water also. So I got a reply from - District 5 - Supervisor Jennifer Montgomery and she said that the reason the Bear River Group Camping Area is closing September 15th this year is too put in new bath rooms and the cost is $105,000.00 . Anyway, it seems to me that closing the campground a month early to do repairs that they have all winter for is not on the up and up but those old wooden bathroom will now be steel and really nice, so... They put a new gate in this year down there and there are rumors about NID and or the Sierra Fund sampling the area for mercury. NID already said that they will be sampling the river and also using heavy equipment to remove the gravels above Rollins. They are in the process of getting approval for using the equipment at the Parker dam. To keep everything straight, The Parker Dam Project has been renamed The Centennial Dam Project. See the maps section and it shows the area to be flooded and the current info that is open to the public. There's a lot going on that we don't know about -

Nevada Irrigation District » Centennial Reservoir and Power Supply Project

OP
OP
Reed Lukens

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I have heard and written so far to our County Supervisor

Reed,
Below is the information about what is going on at the Bear River Campground--I hope this addresses your concerns!
Jocelyn Maddux

Subject: RE: Bear River Campground
Date: 07 August 2015 14:30
To: "Jocelyn Maddux" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Mark Rideout" <[email protected]>
Hi. We heard a rumor in the community that it might be closing in Sept
Hi Jocelyn,
We are not taking reservations at the two Group Campsites after the Labor Day weekend. We will be removing the two old restrooms from the Group Campsites and putting in new concrete restrooms. In order to do the work, we need to have campers out of the group campsites. Labor Day is September 7th, so campers will be out of the Group Campsites by September 8, 2015. The 23 family campsites will still remain open until the end of October, as in prior years.
I have attached a Project Briefing Sheet that explains the project. Please let me know if you have any questions.
John

Thanks Jennifer,
ie: Bear River Campground
I went down their today and looked around. Lot's of memories from being a child with my parents down here to today with my grand kids at my side... It's hard to believe that the entire public use section of the Bear River will be gone after the Centennial Dam is built. Personally, I am against it along with many people in this county. What I also find really troubling, is that this will eliminate Public Gold Panning and Sluicing on the Bear River almost entirely. Heather Willis just had a group of people down there learning how to find gold a couple of weeks ago.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...78181155160.2139733.1271443117&type=1&theater

The thought of losing this area coupled also with the Sierra Fund's gungho dredging cover up at Combie really has so many of us locals watching our history be taken away from us. Unfortunately the Sierra Fund has become a large mining company and honestly, when I asked Rem Scherzinger at the meeting about the removal of the gravel, he immediately threw in mercury removal, and that started his deflecting and evasive answers about the tiny bit of mercury that they actually removed from the 15,000 cubic yards of gravel. The NID has teamed with the Sierra Fund and together they have outlawed dredging while becoming the largest licensed gold dredging company in our 2 counties. And this is what I call - the gravel removal cover up. you can find my opinion of the Combie cover up here-

The other thing that really touched my heart was that Mr. Scherzinger said that there were no plans for parks or even any access to the new Lake from our side at all (Placer County). I mean Really? I guess this is why they call themselves NID = NEVADA Irrigation District because it's obvious that they don't give a hoot about us here in Placer County. This is another follow the money scheme and if they used the dams that we already have on the Bear properly, we would have more than enough water even for our future generations. None of the Hydraulic Power Plant's on the Bear can even run at full operating capacity. PG&E scaled back from them years ago and sending our water to the Sacramento Delta to save some fish basically kills the fish and everything else above these dams. Drum and Alta powerhouses are running almost nothing. I think they are using 1 turbine at each and a lot of the other turbines have been removed from all of the plants.

Unfortunately to me it looks like these agencies really need to plan together just too know what the other one is doing because right now they are now spending $105,000.00 on new bathrooms that will probably be underwater in 7 years...
Thanks again Jennifer :)
Reed E. Lukens

Jennifer Montgomery
Aug 14 (1 day ago)

Reed,

thanks for your comments--I couldn't agree more! I've actually already spoken with our CEO about the current improvement project and all other improvements on the campground lands--we have agreed that although we are not the underlying land owner, we will be asking for comprehensive compensation for all the improvements and upgrades we have ever made to the site. Obviously, and sadly, that does not compensate for the loss of use and we'll be arguing for compensation on that front as well.

Keep in touch and help me keep NID open, honest and transparent!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And that was her answer ---SO in other words, as we all know, the dam will go through--- whether we like it or not. And we don't have any planned access in Placer County. Once again the Political Machine goes where they want to make loads more money for themselves.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
years back up at Douglas Creek Wyoming they closed the Bobby Thompson camp ground and the restrooms and burnt the rest of it. That's when Hoser was up with us! he wanted todo a group Moon sh*# in and photo it and send it to them BUT we finnaly decided against it to keep from stireing the sh*#! BUT it was a good idea!!!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I have heard and written so far to our County Supervisor

Reed,
Below is the information about what is going on at the Bear River Campground--I hope this addresses your concerns!
Jocelyn Maddux

Subject: RE: Bear River Campground
Date: 07 August 2015 14:30
To: "Jocelyn Maddux" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Mark Rideout" <[email protected]>
Hi. We heard a rumor in the community that it might be closing in Sept
Hi Jocelyn,
We are not taking reservations at the two Group Campsites after the Labor Day weekend. We will be removing the two old restrooms from the Group Campsites and putting in new concrete restrooms. In order to do the work, we need to have campers out of the group campsites. Labor Day is September 7th, so campers will be out of the Group Campsites by September 8, 2015. The 23 family campsites will still remain open until the end of October, as in prior years.
I have attached a Project Briefing Sheet that explains the project. Please let me know if you have any questions.
John

Thanks Jennifer,
ie: Bear River Campground
I went down their today and looked around. Lot's of memories from being a child with my parents down here to today with my grand kids at my side... It's hard to believe that the entire public use section of the Bear River will be gone after the Centennial Dam is built. Personally, I am against it along with many people in this county. What I also find really troubling, is that this will eliminate Public Gold Panning and Sluicing on the Bear River almost entirely. Heather Willis just had a group of people down there learning how to find gold a couple of weeks ago.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...78181155160.2139733.1271443117&type=1&theater

The thought of losing this area coupled also with the Sierra Fund's gungho dredging cover up at Combie really has so many of us locals watching our history be taken away from us. Unfortunately the Sierra Fund has become a large mining company and honestly, when I asked Rem Scherzinger at the meeting about the removal of the gravel, he immediately threw in mercury removal, and that started his deflecting and evasive answers about the tiny bit of mercury that they actually removed from the 15,000 cubic yards of gravel. The NID has teamed with the Sierra Fund and together they have outlawed dredging while becoming the largest licensed gold dredging company in our 2 counties. And this is what I call - the gravel removal cover up. you can find my opinion of the Combie cover up here-

The other thing that really touched my heart was that Mr. Scherzinger said that there were no plans for parks or even any access to the new Lake from our side at all (Placer County). I mean Really? I guess this is why they call themselves NID = NEVADA Irrigation District because it's obvious that they don't give a hoot about us here in Placer County. This is another follow the money scheme and if they used the dams that we already have on the Bear properly, we would have more than enough water even for our future generations. None of the Hydraulic Power Plant's on the Bear can even run at full operating capacity. PG&E scaled back from them years ago and sending our water to the Sacramento Delta to save some fish basically kills the fish and everything else above these dams. Drum and Alta powerhouses are running almost nothing. I think they are using 1 turbine at each and a lot of the other turbines have been removed from all of the plants.

Unfortunately to me it looks like these agencies really need to plan together just too know what the other one is doing because right now they are now spending $105,000.00 on new bathrooms that will probably be underwater in 7 years...
Thanks again Jennifer :)
Reed E. Lukens

Jennifer Montgomery
Aug 14 (1 day ago)

Reed,

thanks for your comments--I couldn't agree more! I've actually already spoken with our CEO about the current improvement project and all other improvements on the campground lands--we have agreed that although we are not the underlying land owner, we will be asking for comprehensive compensation for all the improvements and upgrades we have ever made to the site. Obviously, and sadly, that does not compensate for the loss of use and we'll be arguing for compensation on that front as well.

Keep in touch and help me keep NID open, honest and transparent!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And that was her answer ---SO in other words, as we all know, the dam will go through--- whether we like it or not. And we don't have any planned access in Placer County. Once again the Political Machine goes where they want to make loads more money for themselves.

Thanks for the great post. Good information. Yes sadly there will be no more prospecting on this river at all... but I bet someone is getting ritch on this but at what expence?

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
The Brrrrrrr River campground died years ago!

First, was the takeover of the campground around 1989 by meth heads and druggies

The takeover of Iwo Jima beach at the tailings years ago, at the lower end.

The last few years saw the takeover by the Chingowas in the CG itself, and is occuring at all camp grounds in NSF lands along the N.Yuba river. I don't feel like getting sliced up by a Stlletto to risk going there anymore!

Then, the mountain bikers took over Downieville, and the old gold camps, and they forbid gold dredgers.

Gone are the sunny days plucking gold from the Brrrr River. My two best nuggets came from there at the CG, and i dropped them back into the river! Arrgh!

Didn't mark Twain say that the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer on the Brrrrr River?

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the odds of NID getting through an EIR is low. Once people start to realize that they'll be evicted and their properties flooded, it'll turn into an entirely different matter than some NID engineers making plans on paper.

That said, there is only one way to fight quasi-government entities backed by development money - a united front. The duck hunters learned this years ago and formed alliances with environmental groups. Thanks to that combination we get both recreation and natural habitat in a lot of places that would otherwise look like North Sacramento.

These fights can be won. The Clavey River is still wild. But on the Bear it'll take the campers, the miners, the homeowners, the kayakers, the environmentalists, the beer-drinking tubers, the "chingowas" - everyone - working together - to do it. So if you boys aren't planning on just rolling over you'd best think about getting organized, through the Goldhounds would be a good start, and get ready to make friends with a lot of people you probably don't like. There's only one enemy out there and it claims to have "senior water rights".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions