Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
424978_425027797547841_574573415_n.jpg
Those in southern Oregon, and northern Cali keep and eye out.
[h=5]

Marvin Garry Lampshire
[/h]8 mins ·

here is a picture of the Dredge that was stolen just days before it happend

Like · Comment · Share

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Shooting someone with rock salt is no different than with bullets.
Using (including pointing) a gun to protect yourself or others from harm is clearly allowed but to protect property, especially outside your home is another situation.
In Washington you have the no retreat clause that allows you to stand your ground providing you have a valid right to be on that ground. You also have the right to shoot a fleeing person if a jury would determine them to be likely to about to commit a felony.

All this info is available online. Know the laws and rights for your state before you reach for the gun

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't want to get into a debate whether it is right or not right to shoot someone over theft! All I will say is, I have lived in States and currently live in a State that affords me the right to protect my' property and to protect mine and my family's lives. I have fired warning shots at thieves but never aimed directly at them and knew that they would not be injured by my' bullets or even fragments of them. Now, if that thief decides to come at me in a threatening manner and/or pulls a gun or knife on me, then they are going to get shot. I would opt for hitting them in a non-life threatening area of their' body if at all possible but if that did not stop them, then they will take the full brunt of one of my' bullets directly in the chest. God forbid that someone is hell bent on harming me or my family as I do not have pea shooters and in fact, a bullet from my' go to Deer Rifle picked up a Deer and laid it down 10 yards uphill from where it stood and that was after the bullet traveled some 275 yards and a neck shot. If someone entered my' home and came down the hallway with a weapon in hand, a bullet from most of my' weapons would propel them down the hallway, through the living room and through the living room wall and into my' garage.

On another note: If it is determined that the dredge was taken by someone other than BLM or NFS folks, I would not only look in Northern California and Southern Oregon for it to turn up but also would look for it in Idaho and Nevada as well. I feel that with such a valuable piece of Gold prospecting equipment, the thieves would be less likely to be caught if the dredge is taken to and sold in one of these states and the amount of money made on the theft, is high enough for them to seriously consider this as the best option.

Frank

Last edited:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here's my thought, One of my friends owned a salvage yard. In his office on a Sunday night doing paper work. A guy cuts his phone line breaks a window starts to enter my buddy takes a bat to him messed him up good. Calls the cops big to do. The thief ends up suing my friend and wins. Where's the justice there? My self I hate thieves any one caught stealing my things that I worked hard for, well I'll tell ya I was always told by my father who was a hunter safety instructor for 30 yrs. If your gonna point it at some one be ready to use it. And all my police friends tell me dead men tell no stories it's all self defense!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here's my thought, One of my friends owned a salvage yard. In his office on a Sunday night doing paper work. A guy cuts his phone line breaks a window starts to enter my buddy takes a bat to him messed him up good. Calls the cops big to do. The thief ends up suing my friend and wins. Where's the justice there? My self I hate thieves any one caught stealing my things that I worked hard for, well I'll tell ya I was always told by my father who was a hunter safety instructor for 30 yrs. If your gonna point it at some one be ready to use it. And all my police friends tell me dead men tell no stories it's all self defense!

My ccw class...The instructor said do not shoot to wound. They can sue. If your going to pull it, shoot to kill. Also, it's a law thing, if you had the time to think about where to hit or to assess the situation, it could be considered premeditated. The same instructor also said...dead men tell no tales. If you shoot to wound you had doubt your life was in a threat and that pulling your gun may have not been the last resort. Now, laws have changed since then. I never got the ccw(didn't want name on public file and address to house for everyone to see) I took the classes though.

To clear that up....This was in Ohio, And at the time I believe they were called "retreat" laws? Not, like it is with the castle law and stand your ground. This is when ccw was just starting to become popular(?). So, it's been some years.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri

Well theres ALWAYS the appeal! and now that this would have been done , he sure as heck wont be climbing through any windows stealing things anymore! this sounds like he had another lousy lawyer!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to say the problem is your location, don't want to get too political, but laws are little different in other states like Florida..

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would probably have a dead dog, these are animals of another sort.

More than likely you are right on.
My personal pit, when a gunshot is fired, or a firecracker is set off will charge at the door and hit it as to attack the noise.
Our sons 2 pits follow suit with ours.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Maybe time to install a small gps tracking device on your rig. It can alert you by smart phone soon as it starts to move.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe time to install a small gps tracking device on your rig. It can alert you by smart phone soon as it starts to move.

This along with a game cam would probably be the best counter measure. Can get your equipment back and put the idiots in jail with photo proof. Or get some guys together and confront them with the equipment, take it back, then demand restitution or the sherrif can come pick them up. My dad did that to this ****** down the street that stole our trail 90 a while back. Went to the house with a 44 strapped to his hip. the mom answered and said she thought her son bought the bike that was laying in the bushes next to the house. We left with the bike and 400 bucks for restitution and he skipped town because he said he would pay my dad another 200 in a few weeks so we wouldn't call the sheriff out there.

Anyway hope you guys can find the dredge, I hate thieves...

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what God's Law says about thieves.

If the sun is down, the owner may strike and kill the thief, and no blood guilt will be on the owner.

If the sun is up, the thief may not be killed, but must repay 7 times what he stole.

7 dredges in restitution! WHAT AN AWESOME WONDERFUL GOD!!!

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As they say, you can rarely stop a thief, but you can catch them. Personally, I think it may not be another dirt slinger, but a tree hugger on a perverted, self righteous mission. What ever... try this https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=car+tracking+gps. The car dealers install them for the lenders into cars that folks with poor credit or a past history of repos buy. Makes it really easy for the repo man to find the car, boat or a dredge.

Sorry about the loss of your machinery, time and money. Please remember that there isn't a death penalty for the grand theft of a dredge. Trust me, no one has found a way to un-ring a bell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread