what to do with the mercury i found?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i was at a very popular creek here in redding prospecting, i came across a small pool of merury. i sucked it up with my sniper tool and continued on my way. all the gold i collected is now in and on the ball of mercury. its about the size of a .38 ball. is there any way to get the gold out without burning it? how should i store it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im not going to spend 300 dollars on a gopro so other people can verify my experiences. if you want to see a picture of mercury in a vial go find your own, i dont think its picture worthy. when i find another fat nugget ill post it

It's not about verifying your experiences. It is about proving that a lot of the mercury in the rivers is from naturally occurring sources, not from current mining or dredging practices. With photographic proof, we start to unravel the garbage that passes for science these days.

And for the mercury in a vial thing, I don't need pics of that. I have a few GALLONS of the stuff here. I wanted pics of the decomposing bedrock with the cinnabar in it.

Unfortunately, we ALL have to be cognizant of the fight we are in and how our actions and/or lack there of will help and/or hurt what we are doing. The decomposing bedrock/cinnabar deposit would begin to cast doubt on the amount of mercury left behind by the earlier miners.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im not going to spend 300 dollars on a gopro so other people can verify my experiences. if you want to see a picture of mercury in a vial go find your own, i dont think its picture worthy. when i find another fat nugget ill post it

Well then it didnt happen.:thumbsup:
The point here is not to prove you did something. It's because we all like to SEE whats out there, nut just read about it.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry guys i dont have a waterproof camera. i read u the wrong way. theres no doubt how much mercury was left behind by the old timers, but i did find it surprizing that this mercury was no from them. the rocks around here are very interesting. there are pockets of green slime in the bedrock. green like oxidized copper. and black formations of what i think is corroded metal ore? when u find a piece of metal and it has the black stuff that has cemented the rock around it. i have found this in sizes of my fist, but no iron object that you would expect to be there. has anyone else come across this?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was found just a couple hundred feet downstream of him, this is just a small part of the mercury that I found.
There is a huge amount of mercury in this one short stretch of creek.
There is a large cinnabar deposit by Need Camp on Clear Creek, Chip Hess at the Miners cache told me about it but I have yet to go check it out because I am not 100% sure where it is. I didn't get exact directions because I don't like being the park anymore.

IMG_8990.JPG

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks loaded with gold!

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This was found just a couple hundred feet downstream of him, this is just a small part of the mercury that I found.
There is a huge amount of mercury in this one short stretch of creek.
There is a large cinnabar deposit by Need Camp on Clear Creek, Chip Hess at the Miners cache told me about it but I have yet to go check it out because I am not 100% sure where it is. I didn't get exact directions because I don't like being the park anymore.

View attachment 1200220

Pics do prove the existence of such deposits. And by "their research" mercury moves downstream through natural action of water. So if there are natural deposits eroding into the rivers, then can it be considered "pollution" since it is naturally occurring?

Sometimes it is the little things that break a case wide open. As always, the devil is in the details and in the evidence presented.

I'm not trying to "beat anybody into submission" here, just trying to give some friendly advice that just might see you guys back in the river dredging soon.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guns and retorts share the same problem in that they are both safe until they blow up. Let the pro's or crazies retort the mercury because if it blows, then the mercury vapor from such an event is deadly, and you certainly don't need that experience.
I found a golf ball sized lump of mercury while panning in the Chestatee River in north GA back in the 90's, gave it to a friend who retorted it and recovered a nice button of gold from it.
I have been an ammunition reloader for 20+ years, still have all my digits and eyes and used to fire 10,000 plus rounds of ammo a year, but would never attempt to retort.
Just .02 cents worth of advice from an old geezer. Cheers!!

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh yeah it was, I got a lot of nice gold out of it.
The button picture is from this batch alone and the sponge picture is of the batch before it.

IMG_8966.JPG

IMG_9001.JPG

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sorry guys i dont have a waterproof camera. i read u the wrong way. theres no doubt how much mercury was left behind by the old timers, but i did find it surprizing that this mercury was no from them. the rocks around here are very interesting. there are pockets of green slime in the bedrock. green like oxidized copper. and black formations of what i think is corroded metal ore? when u find a piece of metal and it has the black stuff that has cemented the rock around it. i have found this in sizes of my fist, but no iron object that you would expect to be there. has anyone else come across this?

I bought a $20-$30 dry sack for my phone at a local outdoor store. Can probably pick one up for cheaper at Big 5 or REI, etc. and you can take pics through the bag. I've gone swimming down the river that way with my phone.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have older video's on my YouTube account where I was using my HTC Evo 3D in a dry case.
The suction and or the pressure from being about 2-3' deep ruined the speaker on the phone and touch screen sensitivity went down after using it, even after taking out of the case.
The pressure is a lot for phones and I would not recommend doing it with an expensive phone.

This may just be an HTC Evo 3D related problem as there are a lot of good results out there too.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guns and retorts share the same problem in that they are both safe until they blow up. Let the pro's or crazies retort the mercury because if it blows, then the mercury vapor from such an event is deadly, and you certainly don't need that experience.
I found a golf ball sized lump of mercury while panning in the Chestatee River in north GA back in the 90's, gave it to a friend who retorted it and recovered a nice button of gold from it.
I have been an ammunition reloader for 20+ years, still have all my digits and eyes and used to fire 10,000 plus rounds of ammo a year, but would never attempt to retort.

Guns and retorts don't just "blow up". It takes someone doing something STUPID to cause them to do so. Blaming an inanimate object for one's shortcomings in knowledge or abilities is what has gotten us to exactly where we are right now.

They say, "On the noes, that gun or retort might hurt someone. We need to ban them." I say, "Darwin don't fail me now."

One of my favorite quotes from John Wayne never rang truer than it does now. "Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid".

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
with reloading all it takes is one tiny static spark to ruin your life. my dad says its the pros and begginners that make the mistakes. my uncle has been reloading for over 50 years mistakne reloader 19 for reloader 9. split the barrel in half from the breech. wrapped it all the way to the muzzle. anyways... i have absolutely no idea about how to process this stuff and i would be a fool to attempt it. ill stick to reloading and try to keep my gold separate from the mecury i find

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
with reloading all it takes is one tiny static spark to ruin your life. my dad says its the pros and begginners that make the mistakes. my uncle has been reloading for over 50 years mistakne reloader 19 for reloader 9. split the barrel in half from the breech. wrapped it all the way to the muzzle. anyways... i have absolutely no idea about how to process this stuff and i would be a fool to attempt it. ill stick to reloading and try to keep my gold separate from the mecury i find

That's why my bench is build out of wood. When your dropping 280+ grains of .50 BMG, you don't mess around.

Mercury retorts are not hard. You just have to pay very close attention to what you are doing, much like reloading. One test I have used in the past is to fill a new retort with water and look for any steam being released where it shouldn't be. If there is, find out why. That and pipe thread tend to be self sealing most of the time.

Good call on backing off though. A lot of people would just jump right in and end up dead.

Common sense is so rare these days it should be considered a super power.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Neither a gun nor a retort will "blow up" without the operator doing something terribly wrong to them.
You do not fear firearms because you understand them and know how to operate them safely.
You fear a retort because you do not understand it and have no idea how to operate it.
This is not advice you are giving, it is uninformed opinion.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions