what to do with the mercury i found?

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
i was at a very popular creek here in redding prospecting, i came across a small pool of merury. i sucked it up with my sniper tool and continued on my way. all the gold i collected is now in and on the ball of mercury. its about the size of a .38 ball. is there any way to get the gold out without burning it? how should i store it?

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
After you have transferred the mercury and the contaminated gold to an airtight container, contact your local prospecting shop or prospecting club. They should be able to refer you to someone who can separate the two, probably with a small retort.

Since you are near Redding, I would have assumed that you have run into this before, considering the number of cinnabar deposits in the general area.

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
this is my first encounter with liquid mercury, ive acumulated some gold that has been amalgamated with mercury, but never a ball of liquid mercury

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
squeeze it through a wet chamois to get most of the mercury out make sure and store it in a sealed container like a gold vial
you can then take your amalgam ball and burn off the remaining mercury in a retort.

Amalgamation: Using Mercury to capture fine gold, retort, charged mercury

No, don't do this, you will just contaminate more stuff. Instead use an eye dropper or suction pipette to suck off the excess liquid Merc from your ball.

Always store it in water.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My mother-in-laws brother died of mercury poisoning back in the day. Not a way I want to go. Handle with caution.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I squeeze off the excess HG through a piece of ripstop nylon then I dissolve the hg off the gold with nitric acid. Later, after the nitric is saturated with HG after repeated use, I precipitate the HG out of the nitric with aluminium foil, neutralize the acid and dispose.
The "contamination" of more stuff is minimal because I only use this piece of ripstop of this one purpose and liquid HG is relatively harmless.

Learn what you are doing before you do it.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just throw the whole ball of wax in a retort, best environmentally and simplest solution to this matter

thanks for cleaning the environment:thumbsup:

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+1 to using a small pipette to remove as much liquid from the ball and store the two separately in a plastic vial with water.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, that's the way! I have a good friend who makes and sells these but I just go hang out with him when I want to retort my gold...you could say I trade beer for propane ;)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The advantage of squeezing the mercury ball through cheesecloth is that the cheesecloth absorbs most of the natural and man made oils and non amalgamating minerals. Oil in your working mercury is bad juju.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks for the input everyone. i will hold on to it for now safely stored out of the reach of little hands and out of the house. im sure this wont be the last time i come across it. eventually ill find someone who can deal with it. id rather lose 15 bucks in gold and give the merc to someone who has a use for it. dont want it in my house... same reason id rather pay extra electricity on incandescent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
beekbuster

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
Primary Interest:
Other
found some more today, about the same amount as last time, but they mostly were tiny droplets except for one that had a lot of other metals in it. think this may be a cinnabar deposit. it looks as if there is a mercury ore in the bedrock, very fractured and decomposing pockets.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
found some more today, about the same amount as last time, but they mostly were tiny droplets except for one that had a lot of other metals in it. think this may be a cinnabar deposit. it looks as if there is a mercury ore in the bedrock, very fractured and decomposing pockets.

Pics or it didn't happen

Though pics of a naturally occurring deposit of decomposing cinnabar in decomposing bedrock could be useful in more than one way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions