2015 Minerals and Mining Regulatory Reform Act--A Clear Path Respecting Mining Rights

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MMAC? - not even with a 10 foot pole.

Just another layer of regulation:
SECTION 105: THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF MINERALS & MINING
(USDMM) AND THE MINERALS AND MINING ADVISORY COUNCIL (MMAC)

The United States Department of Minerals & Mining (USDMM) A new section 1748d is created:*

“(a) Each federal mining claimant shall be entitled to nominate one person
from the mining districts to serve a four-year term on a Minerals & Mining Advisory
Council (MMAC). Persons shall be eligible for application if they own an interest in a
federal mining claim and should have not less than five (5) years experience in a private
sector mining business. MMAC administrators shall be voted in by the mining claimants.
The mining claimants through MMAC shall appoint from the list of all persons
nominated into the MMAC Administrative Districts no more than 15 members to
constitute the United States Department of Minerals & Mining (USDMM), who shall be
hired as full-time federal employees, and shall also provide no fewer than fifteen (15)
full-time staff to serve at the pleasure of the USDMM
.” *

PLP hasn't won a single mining case in their entire history. Now they are writing federal law?

This alone will kill every small miner:
“(q) ‘mine operator’ means any person or entity exercising rights of or
through the holder of a federal mining claim.

So every club member and prospector becomes a "mine operator" subject to the MSHA regulations? You would need two safety permits to pan. No children allowed on site, subject to inspection and fine at any time. Really - do you want that?

We can do better than this folks. Don't let these people ram more layers of bureaucracy and regulation down your throats. They don't have a clue what they are doing.

Heavy Pans

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
NO, NO, NO! Sorry 2c ya know I love ya brother but no way in L. The only folks that want more regulation are those that won't respect or follow what exists now! As far as MMAC goes I don't want to be right and I don't want the opportunity to say I told ya so. But I fear that won't be the case.

Bill_saf

Jul 3, 2014
w/c Illinois
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
MMac IMOP are posers greenies trying to look like miners! No way No how, shape or form. I will not fall for it. that would be like handing the killer the stright razoer to cut your own throat

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yeah yeah, I know, how do we get them to listen, i see after reading this they are giving up a lot of rights
thing is, i can't say much more without getting political

OP
OP
2cmorau

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LMAO, see it's good to share, nobody ever died from embarrassment
so how do we put the brakes on MMAC, and why is ICMJ, PLP, WMA all support this nonsense?

i do know why wma and MMac are in bed together, but confussed about the others

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
The last thing we need is even more layers of governmental authority over us. Miners by their nature are an independent lot and everything I've seen on these proposals looks like yet another attempt to pull the wool over our eyes.

Like the old saying goes... If something seems to good to be true, it usually is. As Clay stated earlier "Not with a 10 foot pole" or in my case 9 foot 6 Czechoslovakian.

Another though here... If we are not allowed to bring children on any sight, how in the L do we get the future generation interested in mining?

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2015 Minerals and Mining Regulatory Reform Act--A Clear Path Respecting Minin...

No embarrassment at all, Many bit initially, we all have hopes of a miracle fix. Not to speak for them, but last I knew WMA was not endorsing them. The ICMJ is running reprints of MMAC's self written info pieces.

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
2015 Minerals and Mining Regulatory Reform Act--A Clear Path Respecting Minin...

The problem is we have the answer but not the commitment to bring it to fruition. Mining districts as already directed by the existing laws are the answer. Finding enough people to commit to forming and maintaining them is a whole nuther animal. Forming a new agency/bureaucracy will compound the problem and take away more of your rights. We can't get the existing agencies to act the way they are supposed and directed by law. what would enforce a new one to be any different?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LMAO, see it's good to share, nobody ever died from embarrassment
so how do we put the brakes on MMAC, and why is ICMJ, PLP, WMA all support this nonsense?

i do know why wma and MMac are in bed together, but confussed about the others

No shame in sharing this stuff 2cmorau. It's good to get this stuff out in the open and get discussions going.

I'm a little surprised that Scott at the ICMJ is part of this project. He's a smart, honest guy who grew up in mining. I'm sure he will share his thoughts over time. He is the owner and editor of the Mining Journal so it's not like he can't get his message out if he wants to.

I don't think we have to worry too much about this bill getting any traction in Congress. They haven't found anyone to sponsor the bill in all these months and the mining lobby will be lining up against this as being a power grab that will just produce more regulation and layers of bureaucracy. Other than the writers of this nonsense I don't see any support in the industry.

I'm with fowledup. Mining districts are a potential part of the solution to the small miners problems. I've been studying that possibility for many years.

I don't think the MMAC or Jefferson or any of their spinoffs really understand what a mining district is. The whole country, 5,000 square miles or even 400 square miles is a stupid large mining district. Historically mining districts were much smaller. For good reason.

A mining district can't just declare the miners in their borders to be their members. It works the other way around. It's up to the miners to create the district by common agreement of all the miners. If you have ever tried to organize miners you know getting more than a couple of dozen miners in an area to agree on anything is just not gonna happen.

Heavy Pans

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well I stand corrected, 2c just sent me the link showing that WMA had reprinted the MMAC info piece on their site and newsletter as well. So Not sure if that is a show of support or not but it doesn't change my mind about it. As I said There is already a constitutionally granted method in place and has been for over a hundred years that was well thought out, made sense, with a tried and proven track record. Hopefully Scott or one if the guys from WMA will come on and clarify their position. Cuz it didn't make sense in January and it still doesn't in August. Thanks 2c

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions