Claim assesment work?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Barry:hello:
Someone mentioned that maintaining monuments/corners didn't count. I thought it did and it was mineral surveys that could only be used once. So besides maintaining our access and stripping what other work qualifies?

I searched before I ever asked here :laughing7: and cant find some info I know I saw before?

Something to save in the file would be awesome...Thanks

Upvote 0

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use monument/marker maintenance every year, additional signage, picking up lead, brass casings, and trash. Wonder if paying property taxes can go on it as labor as well?

OP
OP
Goldwasher

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use monument/marker maintenance every year, additional signage, picking up lead, brass casings, and trash. Wonder if paying property taxes can go on it as labor as well?

I remember reading it qualified..shoot collecting brass and lead I'm set. We don't pay tax here.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry, I've been real busy so I'll have to be brief.

Location work doesn't qualify. Any work to improve the claim or access to it does.

Proof work itself qualifies so any sampling or digging to discover the bounds or quality of the deposit does count. Essentially any mining counts toward assessment since every bucket you dig counts. The cost of equipment used exclusively for working the claim(s) applies towards the total.

You are swearing under penalty of perjury in your waiver certification. That's the same as swearing in a federal court. If you lie you can be prosecuted and fined big time ($250,000).

You Affidavit of Assessment is made by your personal word and bond. That can be applied to the Waiver Certification.

The point is to keep it simple. The less you say and the less detail you give the less chance you will be tripped up by your own statements. I generally feel that a simple statement of the facts is better. Depending on the actual circumstances something like "access maintenance and brush clearance" is easier to defend than a long list of dates or actions.

Many small miner's list things like maintaining signage or brushing out location lines - those don't apply towards proving or working the claim so they don't count towards assessment. Maintaining existing roads or trails to the claim does count even if the road or trail isn't on the claim. Anything that discloses or develops valuable minerals will qualify as assessment work.

If you count a non-claimants actions as part of your labor requirement you will need to have signed statements and billing evidence before you make your declaration and that work must be accomplished within the work assessment year (Sept 1 - Sept1).

There are a lot of other things that can be considered labor but things like professional geochemical surveys or drilling plans can only be counted once. Boundary surveys don't count - except sometimes. This stuff can get complicated, small miners can keep it simple just by telling the truth simply. You are making a statement not proving what you did, there is no need for detail beyond the basic type of work and the fact that you did $100 dollars or more labor.

Remember that if you don't do your assessment labor your claim is subject to location by an adverse claimant so it's best to be able to prove your labor actually was done. The best way is to keep a current diary of all your visits and work done on your claim(s). A detailed map and description of your discovery work will protect you from other locators as well as being a requirement to keep your claim should the area be subject to mineral withdrawal or challenge by the Federal government. As a bonus detailed records and maps raise the potential sale value of your claim.

Keep records. Treat your assessment and proof work as if it were a business. Business quality records will go a long way to building value in your claim and ultimately in keeping your claim when others are lost to government actions. Heck if you were a really smart small miner you would do all your proof work and be ready to submit your patent application the first day they can be processed! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This Year being the first full year I have had my claim I went ahead and just paid the fee's instead. Next year I plan on filing for the waiver for the work I do and will do.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent over $100 on hoses, cams, electric pump and PVC to provide water to the "power sluice. Does that count? It works great when the creek can keep up. We've been doing lead and mercury removal for three years now. We work IN the creek bed, moving every bit of gravel about 20' downstream to remove these toxins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread