Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Gilded,
There is amazing country in there and a person had better be in shape if they want to see a lot of it! Way up in the hills I know of a spot that holds 18"-24" Rainbow Trout but it takes all day to hike in and back and I needed to do part of 'the back' stuff by flashlight. It was worth every drop of sweat and a little blood!

I am not surprised to hear the place is now overrun with all manner of weeds and 'stuff' as that fire was mighty hot and burned out the tree tops. It was beautiful clear for a few years allowing a person to see things that had not been seen since the old miners left their food containers and china plates on the ground. Ugly to get through now!! The fire burned all the way up to portions of the up river Sailor Flat area, I lost a stash of plastic panning pans and other trivia.

And to answer your question ahead of your asking it, yes there are worse trails in that area than Beacroft along with more amazing and wonderful sights. Worth the trouble, if one is in shape then yes otherwise it would be really miserable.

That big sandbar is a beaut, did the trees on that side of the river burn? Thank you for the input..................63bkpkr

INDEAD

May 13, 2015
ALASKA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure it is a great tool. Like i said before it doesn't work for me. It will not get past the creating map screen. Regardless, I prefer to get my information directly from the source if i can.

My plan was to pan between mumford bar trail and sailor flat trail IN (not around) the nfar and I think i have enough information to safely do that. I plan on stopping at the blm office on the way to verify my information, i just didn't want to drive all the way there if I wasn't fairly confident about my information.

I think my map is fine(the blue hash section is wild and scenic river, where i intend to be):

View attachment 1201349

I don't know if it is a security setting I have on my Computer, but I too cant get it past the load up screen.

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI Gilded,
There is amazing country in there and a person had better be in shape if they want to see a lot of it! Way up in the hills I know of a spot that holds 18"-24" Rainbow Trout but it takes all day to hike in and back and I needed to do part of 'the back' stuff by flashlight. It was worth every drop of sweat and a little blood!

I am not surprised to hear the place is now overrun with all manner of weeds and 'stuff' as that fire was mighty hot and burned out the tree tops. It was beautiful clear for a few years allowing a person to see things that had not been seen since the old miners left their food containers and china plates on the ground. Ugly to get through now!! The fire burned all the way up to portions of the up river Sailor Flat area, I lost a stash of plastic panning pans and other trivia.

And to answer your question ahead of your asking it, yes there are worse trails in that area than Beacroft along with more amazing and wonderful sights. Worth the trouble, if one is in shape then yes otherwise it would be really miserable.

That big sandbar is a beaut, did the trees on that side of the river burn? Thank you for the input..................63bkpkr

Oh yes, far worse trails than Beacroft! All of the trees on the sand bar are just fine. Everything on that side of the river is untouched as far as I've seen.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gilded, it is good to know that a few areas were not harmed. That cabin the little fella is standing next to reminds me of the one at the bottom of Mumford. I heard they were able to keep that cabin from burning, a nice piece of history that cabin.

I as well love the entire NFAR canyon, I can never get enough of it!! Still can't and I'm not even in CA., I still dream of it, have pictures of it even as my background image on my computer at work. I truly miss that country. I will be back someday, could even be in 2016 just after 4th July. We will see....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
S

sublimages

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a pretty rough hike on the way back out. Beautiful though. Didn't see any bears(they are definitely there though, and they are big, plenty of marked trees and droppings), lots of dangerous fire damaged trees though. Someone's got a dredge down there sucking all the gold up. View attachment 1202419 View attachment 1202421 View attachment 1202422

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread