63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First wolf pack in decades spotted in Northern California. With any luck that should be a hot link but if not the Family, two adults and several pups, were caught on a tree cam in a remote area sorta close to Mount Shasta, Siskiyu (sp?) County.

A wolf can be a very large animal and of course it hunts for its food usually in a pack. If you've never been in a "Pack Situation" then what you can expect is that one will catch your attention and the attacker will come at you from your back cause of course you are watching the thing that is snarling at you. From experience the attack happens very quickly after the first one catches your attention. Once you are down all of them join in. That is just the nature of the animal. I guess it is protected as further evidence that some folks are really Dense.

It will take them a while to get over to the Highway 80 area above Sacramento but they will get there. They will then wipe out the Coyotes in that area along with everything they can get hold of. The only protection will be to move out/stay out of the mountains and move into centralized housing and once that happens you'd better not go out after dark and maybe in the daytime it still won't be safe. Think Agenda 21!

Other than that it will be prospecting as usual and I will still go out there........................63bkpkr

Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to Cabellas, Deer population in AZ is greater than its ever been in recorded history. Send some wolves over here, and make sure they habla espanol. Mexican wolves?

The deer population may be higher in AZ, as it is in many states, but that is largely a result of modern day licensing requirements and the fact that most of the population do not hunt and eat wild game anymore. That said, deer are pests for many farmers (farms are deer cafeterias and another reason for deer population expansion) and they can be or are prolific in other areas resulting in the fact that some states are now issuing multiple kill licenses, etc. to help control their population. The use of licensing fees is an important part of preservation and/or restoration of many species including protected ones.

For those of you who may be puzzled by the "Mexican wolves" reference, see below.

The Blue Range, which includes portions of East Central AZ and West Central NM, is an area where they first reintroduced the Mexican Gray Wolf. They are a smaller subspecies and they had not existed in the wild in the US for many decades (and they are thought to now be extinct in Mexico too). Now, ranchers in the Blue Range area are negatively effected because, since reintroduction of wolves some are losing livestock. It is now as it was in the past a matter of economics or survival for them. That is the main reason why the wolves were originally exterminated.. Packs and some lone wolves are sometimes captured/recaptured and impounded or relocated when they become a major problem to livestock owners. Theoretically the ranchers are compensated by the government for their losses as they occur but who knows if there are some losses that are unknown. Some ranchers contend there are. With 100+ wolves in that area, much of which is prime elk and deer country, there has to be some effect on the wildlife population too but I am not sure if that is broken out in the various government studies that Cabelas probably relied on. Wolves may not be as threatening to humans as bears and, some may say, mountain lions but there is still, a newly reintroduced, potential danger especially for lone hunters, hikers and campers. There was a recorded incident shortly after the reintroduction involving a wolf, a man and his young son and maybe their dog. The wolf was shot by the man who was subsequently charged and maybe fined for killing an endangered species. If it were me and I perceived the wolf was a threat, I probably would have shot it too.

PS: I am most afraid of coyotes! Not the animals but the drug and human traffickers along our southern border. That fear has kept me away from some decent prospecting areas for years now.:censored:ers

Last edited:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
According to Cabellas, Deer population in AZ is greater than its ever been in recorded history. Send some wolves over here, and make sure they habla espanol. Mexican wolves?

I got a better idea. Send me multiple deer tags and I'll help reduce the deer population by putting them in my freezer. And they can keep their inbred wolves.

And by the way, I don't know who told you that there are more deer than ever in AZ. I happen to live in and hunt PRIME deer habitat in 27 and 28 on the eastern side of AZ and see very, very few of them and even less sign of them anymore.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It' great to see nature replenish itself! to bad she chose the wrong species. Isn't Humbolt county greenie land. Maybe they will eat them and be happy. just hope they don't get the munchies!

CApicker

Nov 3, 2013
West Sacramento, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking they may just be displaced a little from all the fires and vehicles used to fight them. I doubt they will move South or lower into the valley but with fires and drout conditions anyting is posible. I know I have been looking over my shoulder more and more these dry hot days.
I notice that getting off the river before it starts getting dark can help avoid all kinds of critters as well...
Cheers to all!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really surprised that there aren't more animals around that you normally don't see because of all the fires in the western states. You guy's have it bad. Hope it ends soon even our state has been sending fire crews to help.

oldhdrider

Dec 6, 2010
S.E. Wa. state
Detector(s) used
Whites przm V
Garrett Gold Scorpion
Wolves in N. Calif.. That is bad news folks. Wife and I moved to a very remote cabin in N. Central Idaho in 2000. We seen first hand what the wolves have done to the elk population. Not good folks. Not good at all.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe they will get hungry enough and start eating eco freak hikers. Be a good conversion if you ask me, from a useless windbag to free fertilizer. At least the plants and animals they "care" so much about will benefit from the fertilizer.

Hmmm, Californiagold is having issues with Hobos' in his area.
Maybe this will work in his favor :)

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IDJITS! They want these Wolfs to reestablish and they talk of reintroducing the Grizzly. Great, how about boosting the numbers of the food sources needed to feed them. Last time the Wolf and Grizzly thrived in California, Elk and Antelope roamed the floor of the Sacramento Valley. That hasn't happened in over 100 years. We do still have small project satelite Elk herds and a smidgen of Antelope scattered in one or two N.E. counties but no where near the historical numbers that were once prevalent. The Deer population is already in trouble between disease, coyotes, drought, starvation and an increasing Mountain Lion population growing unchecked, seeing's how we can no longer harvest them. How long do they suppose the current deer herds will last as the only remaining available food source. Look at the Black Bears now, we can no longer use dogs which is arguably the most efficient as well as humane way to pursue them. So their numbers are skyrocketing and they are becoming nuisance animals feeding on anything they can get their paws on, including deer when opportunity knocks. Since we here in California are all about bringing back endangered and extinct things, how about bringing back common sense!

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmmm, Californiagold is having issues with Hobos' in his area.
Maybe this will work in his favor :)

*giggle snort*

________

I loathe deer. I have an infestation. Thought the landlord would be cool with hunting them, but seems to sympathize with them and think we will run out of them. I haven't seen so many in years. The HOA a few miles away is full of little old ladies that feed them treats and plants, you can't shoot the puma without a depredation permit ( even more over-regulation on top of the already ridiculous hunting laws) and the coyotes run amok as well. It's like a safari every time I drive home with the turkey and jack rabbits too. If they didn't do so much damage to one's vehicle I'd just plow them as it seems to be the only way to get rid of them!

Wolves are not a good idea. Funny how one generation gets rid of something and the next just bring it right back. "knowledge" is always changing. This is good for you, no, now it's back, no don't do anything at all.... oh please.

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://youtu.be/fAoszVLRP6U

Great Wolves Vs Coyote clip.

One reason some wolf attacks on humans are not reported, could be the fact that they will eat ALL of you.

The old "only the weak and old" is BS, a pack of wolves will have nothing to do with sick animal, they kill what they want to.

Big mistake reintroducing them. It took 200 years to wipe them out of the lower 48, and probably couldn't have been done without poison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread