Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Put a coating of Crisco on it! Lol!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Reed he's a smart man knows what he's talking about helped me greatly on my dredge!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, just got back. That hike seemed like 5 miles each way though sand dunes and I didnt remember it being so far, so I didnt bring a drink...lesson learned! By the time I got back to my truck, my vitamin water was way too hot to drink lol. Anyways... I got on the barge, and swept the rusty dust and few pieces of sand into a dust pan, then dumped the rusty dust into a plastic bag. With every load I dumped into the bag, I noticed 2 dust rings on the inside of the dust pan. One rust colored, and around that yellow. Hate to jump the gun, but cant wait to pan it:) what scares me though, is the fact that its SO fine, I dont think any gravity method of separation is going to work...

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And chlsbrns I did tie off the plastic bag with vaseline and smeared a bunch on side and top of barge. That thing is 200' long. And I will definately look into the specifics of the sand and gravel plant on the other side of the river

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The barge I swept

Attachments

• 1441135886638.jpg
    1441135886638.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 83

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
What did you use to submerge the plastic bag so that it is underwater?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a 3' 2x4 on my saw and cut a point at one end. Then I cut a notch halfway up and tied rope around the notch. Used a big rock to pound the 2x4 into the sand until the bag was 7/8 submerged

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you run a Rag Plant on your gravel plant? Skip down to pg 25 where it talks about the Hanson Plants. I've been to both many times and have also seen other Rag Plants in operation over the years. Personally I would forget about the water and see what you have at your plant. http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/geologic_resources/gold/documents/sp87.pdf

It's not his plant but no reason why he can't do both if he chooses too.

He can buy equipment and shovel like a mad man going after tiny tiny gold that is measured in parts per billion and can also get gold with little effort using OLEOPHILIC ADHESION while carrying on with his usual life.

The most gold that I found in USGS reports was about 400 ppb most were 2 to 10 ppb. What tiny fraction of one gram of gold would that be per ton of shoveled sand? Assume that the equipment captures 100% of the gold and not just the small percent that will actually be captured?

Wouldnt 1,000,000 ppb be one gram of gold per ton of shoveled sand? (Assuming that 100% of the gold was captured instead of a fraction of 100%)

Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You described what Im trying to acomplish lol I doubt there is any amount of shoveling that will prove my efforts to be worthwhile. However, if I can just toss something into the river and let it set for a week or two while I work ( the only thing that really makes me money lol) , it is a bonus for me. I know that I will never catch all of that gold but as they say, the fun is in the search. Btw, my contact that got an ounce in 2 weeks, also has a friend that extracted a decent amount of gold from a hollowed out piece of driftwood here in the same river:)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that you mention it driftwood would contain gold. Got a fireplace? Lol!

Learn to do the purple test! Its easy and the materials needed to do the test can be bought at almost any hardware store.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what the guy said he did. Cut it up, burned it, and panned the ashes and got close to 3/4 oz

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that. Many trees can take in nano size particles of gold thru their roots. Being along a river that has lots of nano size gold = trees that contain gold.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! But he said it was driftwood. Even if I went and collected driftwood all next weekend and burned it, how would I go about processing it? Borax flux in propane kiln?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread