Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice slug you got there!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We got a little over nine ounces. They didn't smelt the super fines they melted them and will assay to see what other metals are in there. Not bad at all being it only took a few hours of time to make and process the 4'x6' burlap sheets. Next week they will pull the other three. They should contain more than 9oz being they will be in the water a week longer.

Now they are going to hit the other taiing ponds and try a few streams.[/QUOTE
3oz per sheet? how long in the water? What kind of tailing ponds?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this pond available to the public? Lol

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible results! Thanks for sharing all the valuable information.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
We got a little over nine ounces. They didn't smelt the super fines they melted them and will assay to see what other metals are in there. Not bad at all being it only took a few hours of time to make and process the 4'x6' burlap sheets. Next week they will pull the other three. They should contain more than 9oz being they will be in the water a week longer.

Now they are going to hit the other taiing ponds and try a few streams.[/QUOTE
3oz per sheet? how long in the water? What kind of tailing ponds?

The sheets were in for 7 days. It was one of my grandfathers old gold tailing ponds.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Was wondering how you knew how much gold you were getting before the retort???

I am wondering why you would ask such aa dumb question??? You somehow know when it was retorted?

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he is wondering why you think there will be 9 oz...before you have recovered....meaning you got this much out of the time your poppa did what he did....so why are you figuring this time you will get more? Just the extra time? ....ponds that had previously held richer material?......several factors will affect your results but you already have a figure..... not really a dumb question. Not everyone thinks your full of it.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I think he is wondering why you think there will be 9 oz...before you have recovered....meaning you got this much out of the time your poppa did what he did....so why are you figuring this time you will get more? Just the extra time? ....ponds that had previously held richer material?......several factors will affect your results but you already have a figure..... not really a dumb question. Not everyone thinks your full of it.

Yesterday they estimated 10 oz. I didnt ask how or why they thought there was 10 oz. They melted and there was just over 9 oz.

They think they will get more from the other three burlap sheets because they will be in the water 7 days longer than the first three burlap sheets and because the sediments will be agitated again. Im assuming more agitation than the first time.

This was done in a pond where God knows how many tons of pay dirt was washed and sluiced long ago. The same water used over and over again.

I really dont care is anyone or everyone thinks im full of it. They could easily try it for themself but somehow think it is to hard to do and not worth it. To each his own!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes GW. If you have micron gold to start with, how do you know (about) how much it will weigh before you did what ever you did to make it into a lump of 9 oz? Or was this a pic of what has been found in the past using this method?

Indy gold

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think u can gredge super small micro gold without washing a high % right back out. I thought awhile back someone started a thread similar to this and posted a link to a guy selling a material to stretch across a stream that he claimed would catch this gold. Wanted like $1500 dollars for it. Thought it was a hoax but now not so sure. Might have been another forum.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes GW. If you have micron gold to start with, how do you know (about) how much it will weigh before you did what ever you did to make it into a lump of 9 oz? Or was this a pic of what has been found in the past using this method?

Let me think for a second... If you put a pound of mercury in a tank of water with micron gold and when you take it out it weighs more than a pound and you estimate tbat it weighs 10 oz more
(1lb, 10oz) then... Can anyone finish this sentence?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a good read! Thanks a bunch but I wonder how hard it is to precipitate the gold back out of it

You could get a very large storage tub, like the ones used for storing Christmas Trees and then wash the Gold out from the opposite direction. Or, if you purchase sheets in bulk, just burn them in a cut-off 55 gallon steel drum, then pour the ashes and Gold into a Gold pan and pan it out.

To answer another question you had, much of the Gold in the river likely flows through the bottom half with very little making it towards the surface. The sheets only need to be anchored and stretched along the bottom, overlapping each sheet over the next sheet by about 2 feet and extending their' full width towards the surface. Hopefully, this will give barges, boats and any possible ships enough clearance without them ripping through the sheets.

I would also recommend finding out where they take the material that is dredged from the river when they are making the river deeper for barge and other waterborne traffic. If you could get access to this material, it likely contains loads of Gold and a person could get wealthy pretty quick.

Frank

Last edited:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't a sufficient amount of Jet Dry knock it out of the water so it could easily be dredged?

Hummmm.., NO! Even if you put a gazzillion gallons in a river or pond jet dry would have zero effect on the micron gold.

Was that question really a joke or did you really think that adding jet dry to a river or pond would allow a dredge to collect the gold?

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Flocculants are no joke

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hummmm.., NO! Even if you put a gazzillion gallons in a river or pond jet dry would have zero effect on the micron gold.

Was that question really a joke or did you really think that adding jet dry to a river or pond would allow a dredge to collect the gold?

That's funny. I just recovered micron gold using Jet Dry today. The only reason I know it's there was by using a loupe. And BTW...

I was looking for explanations, not insults. I try to keep an open mind but most of this doesn't add up at all. Congrats, you're the first person I've permanently ignored here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread