SUMMER PROSPECTING IN NH. HERES THE PICTURES!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUMMER PROSPECTING IN NH. HERE'S THE PICTURES!

So far summer in NH. has been good river was to low to drag a dredge across the rocks so I decided to sluice this past weekend at my favorite spot. Got to see a moose[dead on the side of the road so sad] had lunch on Saturday with a blue heron he enjoyed his minnows I enjoyed my sandwich. He was good luck got a picker! Sunday morn had breakfast with a bald eagle. We have had a very good season to date. No pictures of the wild life ,but I got the gold! DSCF0193.JPG DSCF0203 (3).JPG DSCF0202.JPG DSCF0200.JPG DSCF0196.JPG DSCF0197.JPG DSCF0191.JPG DSCF0195.JPG DSCF0194.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0194.JPG
    DSCF0194.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. the nuggets came from Georgia!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like a great time! Nice gold!

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was being a wise guy on the nuggets a buddy of mine went to Georgia on vacation brought back a bucket of dirt Had to show it off. But yeah it's been good! For being disabled I can only last 4-5 hours and done.

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might have a chunk of aresnopyrite there... back during the brief hardrock mining that was done in NH in the 1800s, when they encountered a rich vein of this material it payed out to the tune of $17,500 per ton.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been trying to figure that one out? it's not pyrite. it looks like a nugget up close. It is heavy stayed in the sluice stayed in the pan. we are supposed to have some platinum up here as well. One of my friends is a geologist he's not sure without testing. But it's to small I just like it never seen any thing like it.

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might have a chunk of aresnopyrite there... back during the brief hardrock mining that was done in NH in the 1800s, when they encountered a rich vein of this material it payed out to the tune of $17,500 per ton.
I just checked online about that I'm not far from known deposits could be?

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just checked online about that I'm not far from known deposits could be?

The hollis mine operated not far from rochester, the veins are typically found in the western portion of the state with some minor localities in the white mountains near southern portions and up near pittsburg as well. Arsenopyrite is HEAVY (4-4.4 spec grav) hence why you caught it, the specimen you have appears to have the tell tale angular cleavages of pyrite in the depression with the rest of it being smoothed over by weathering. It has not traveled far from the source or it would be easily destroyed during flood stages. Typically these veins are associated with milky quartz but can sometimes be found in the same general vicinity that bog iron deposits have been located in NH. Rotten sulfide rich bedrock material is a good indicator as well.

(taking a closer look at the gold too, as far as NH goes none of that has traveled far down that river or it would be little more than flat flakes and dust. Explore any nearby feeder streams or exposed bedrock on the river banks or even large potatoes)

Last edited:

timberjack

Sep 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to see some really interesting bedrock formations with many quartz and other veins shot thru it go up river to the coverd bridge and go down the the great swimming hole below,,,super fun, interesting place....put on your mask and snorkel and swim up to the waterfall face and ckeck it out underwater......also most times you will see big trout in there too. Im planning on heading up later this week.....thanks for posting the photos..........keep up the good work!

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that there are several bog iron mines in the area. In Franconia they had an iron furnace there a long time ago you can hike to. In that area from Haverhill to Bath over to Franconia there are a lot of mines all abandoned! with about every mineral you can think of. Even where I live in the general area has a lot of old mines as well. Mostly mica. You can google [ lost mines of NH. ] It will give you all the minerals and gps coodinates to them even what type of mine it was and how long it operated. It goes by county. And yes John it was heaven I found a good spot and it has been producing quite well. The picture with the picker in it has more fines in it than shown cropped it to much that was last weekend and all tolled that was about 15 buckets ended up with just over a gram DSCF0203 (3).JPG

OP
OP
nh.nugget

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to see some really interesting bedrock formations with many quartz and other veins shot thru it go up river to the coverd bridge and go down the the great swimming hole below,,,super fun, interesting place....put on your mask and snorkel and swim up to the waterfall face and ckeck it out underwater......also most times you will see big trout in there too. Im planning on heading up later this week.....thanks for posting the photos..........keep up the good work!
Been there it's cool Look at the rock formations going over Kinsman notch. I'll be up there as well I know the water is really low if you want to sluice or pan PM me we'll get together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread