Newbie headed out on first prospecting trip

EmeraldCoast

Sep 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Wife and I are new here and first timers to prospecting. Our panning, classifier and miscellaneous equipment is in the mail and should arrive within a week...very excited to take our first trip! Our first trip is planned for the Talladega National Forest of Alabama. We have a few questions we would like to ask about this area:

1. Are all areas of the national forest open to the public for panning in creeks?
2. How will i know what areas are open to the public?
3. Are there any fee's we must pay to the Forestry for a permit?

I have looked at Google Earth and looks like a Talladega creek and branches on the south side of hwy 158 and Clairmont Springs Rd could be promising! Any info on that area would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend joining a local club to get some information and experience before heading out on your own. Take a look at Doc's forums at GoldHog.com for info on the Southeast gold scene. The Talledega National Forest website should have some info on panning and prospecting there. It may not be absolutely correct but it is a starting point.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you checked out the forest service website for the area? They probably have some contact info listed, maybe phone # for ranger station. I bet they can answer your questions. The rangers I talked to in the area I first started in ( this is my first year also) gave me a great history of mines in the area, and also were the best areas to start in were. And also what was allowed. I.e. when you can dredge, sluice and pan. Hope you have a good trip and find some color.

chopgoddess

Aug 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey were you and your wife maybe wanting a couple too go with you me and my husband just moved too Talladega and live close by and where did y'all order stuff..we r really interested

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of that area is not actually public, but private land. Hopefully some of the above suggestions will help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread