Hand Suction Dredge Build

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get a lot of questions on how I made my hand dredge. I know there are some very good ideas on YouTube and some really good products to buy (I've purchased a couple myself). But, I always like to challenge myself to build a better mousetrap by taking different ideas and fusing them into a project. So, I recently built a 12volt suction dredge and a hand suction dredge...here's the hand dredge build. Please let me know of any alterations to make it better...they would be much appreciated. I'd really like to build a 3" hand dredge of this style, but I can't find affordable one-way valves.

Upvote 0

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the expert instructional video on how to build this. I like the check valve idea and I am going to order a couple and build myself one. Are there any operation issues. tips, tricks or techniques when using this besides collecting lots of gold?

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the expert instructional video on how to build this. I like the check valve idea and I am going to order a couple and build myself one. Are there any operation issues. tips, tricks or techniques when using this besides collecting lots of gold?

I can't think of anything else...except what I put in the video. I love to see your build when its done. Thanks.

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it, especially where it dumps. But you've really got my interest up on the 12 volt system. Sounds like something that can be packed in. :happy1:

Thanks Jeff. I'll post a video on my YouTube channel with the 12 volt dredge build.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome video! :)

If you would like to make a crack sucker its pretty easy with PVC.

Just use a heat gun to heat the PCV up and pinch the end to the desired width.

You can also make a mold of sorts out of two wood wedges, heat the PVC, place in the mold and then put another board and weight on top.

This guy on youtube makes PVC bows and shows how he heats and molds his PVC.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome video! :)

If you would like to make a crack sucker its pretty easy with PVC.

Just use a heat gun to heat the PCV up and pinch the end to the desired width.

You can also make a mold of sorts out of two wood wedges, heat the PVC, place in the mold and then put another board and weight on top.

This guy on youtube makes PVC bows and shows how he heats and molds his PVC.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BackyardBowyer

That video is really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!:icon_thumright:
Does your design perform better then the Gold N Sand? Rubber seal versus leather etc.
Being tall also I added length to my Gold N Sand, one extension is over 6 feet...for culverts and such.
I'am going to build the "suck up a small creek" Reed Lukens hand dredge too.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice build, Jake. I wonder, for a 3", if you could make a stiff rubber flapper valve for a valve. Shouldn't require a real sophisticated part. I'd like to try bulding one of these...maybe this winter, if I run out of other projects. What would be nifty would be a 12volt-powered suction diaphragm incorporated into the design.
Jim

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!:icon_thumright:
Does your design perform better then the Gold N Sand? Rubber seal versus leather etc.
Being tall also I added length to my Gold N Sand, one extension is over 6 feet...for culverts and such.
I'am going to build the "suck up a small creek" Reed Lukens hand dredge too.

I think the GoldnSand is a nice set up and I have two of them. But, if asked which one I prefer, my build or the goldnsand...mine, hands down. It fits my frame better. I can adjust the fit inside the suction tube. My hose configuration is better. Due to the longer tube, I can move more material with each stroke. This is not meant to dis the G&S dredge...its just my preference.

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice build, Jake. I wonder, for a 3", if you could make a stiff rubber flapper valve for a valve. Shouldn't require a real sophisticated part. I'd like to try bulding one of these...maybe this winter, if I run out of other projects. What would be nifty would be a 12volt-powered suction diaphragm incorporated into the design.
Jim

Thanks Jim. I posted my 12volt suction dredge build on my YouTube channel. I'll post it here in the future. Take care.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jim. I posted my 12volt suction dredge build on my YouTube channel. I'll post it here in the future. Take care.

THANKS for posting that new video. With a 12A draw what is your battery life like? You mentioned that you couldn't go deep , like 2-3' only, is that lift of material 2-3' or at depth you a finding the water pressure is too much and the lack of pressure from the Rule isn't enough to overcome it?

Thanks
ratled

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Could someone please post a link to the 12volt suction dredge video? Sounds very interesting!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jake, want you to know how much I appreciate your vids. You show/explain everything fully which is just what this RAM impaired brain of mine needs. When I researched all of the hand suction dredges, I told myself I wanted the GoldnSand. As I'm 6'2 and want to go deep, your hand dredge is first on my list for this winters projects. I will make it for either sluice or bucket use. TYVM!

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake, want you to know how much I appreciate your vids. You show/explain everything fully which is just what this RAM impaired brain of mine needs. When I researched all of the hand suction dredges, I told myself I wanted the GoldnSand. As I'm 6'2 and want to go deep, your hand dredge is first on my list for this winters projects. I will make it for either sluice or bucket use. TYVM!

Thanks Jeff. Very much appreciated.

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS for posting that new video. With a 12A draw what is your battery life like? You mentioned that you couldn't go deep , like 2-3' only, is that lift of material 2-3' or at depth you a finding the water pressure is too much and the lack of pressure from the Rule isn't enough to overcome it?

Thanks
ratled

I believe the pump pressure is the factor. The battery lasts about 4 hours. Thanks for watching and commenting.

Last edited:

Rockwerx

May 31, 2015
Alberta
Detector(s) used
2 ATG, ATP, JOBE 36 Yellow Jacket Stream Sluice, Jobe EZ Sluice, Garrett pans, lots of buckets!
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome videos! Thank you for some great ideas! Can't wait to build a 12volt slurper!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread