DIY 12 Volt Suction Dredge

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very nice, Jake. I went and found it last night...couldn't wait...LOL. One thing I'd recommend...do some experimenting on how far into the suction pipe the pressure nozzle extends.....there may be a sweet spot, at some point, that really increases the suction. Other than that, it's great!...and maybe you're on the sweet spot already.
Jim

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool build.
Wonder how it would work using a Marine Wash down pump, 12v.
I bought one to water our gardens using our creek / power a regular garden hose.
AMAZING PSI.............
We have to lift more than 12 feet and run the hose about 75 feet and it's like turning the water on at home.
I THINK... the PSI is between 40 - 50 on a 3/4" hose.
Doc

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool build.
I bought one to water our gardens using our creek / power a regular garden hose.
AMAZING PSI.............
We have to lift more than 12 feet and run the hose about 75 feet and it's like turning the water on at home.
Doc

I looked into these, they give you the psi needed, some to 70 psi! The issue then becomes the lack of volume- typically in the 5 gpm range. In Jake's Rule 3000 gph pump he is putting out about 18 gpms. You will get the same or a little better performance than Jake got but at 3 times the cost

As in most mining projects you have it works and it's cheap but you only get to pick one!

ratled

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool....hey Jake what if you ditch the curved input...to loose a little bit of resistance....??? I see haw it could be limiting your crack access. Flow is coming from another direction any way...what if you went direct in the end with your pressure flow...you might be able to get a little more length on your suction end so more depth into a crack.

So a .... T....... with hose coming in and out... PUMP ''''''''''''''''''''''T'''''''''''''''''''''SLUICE.... I think that might work...You could also use a smaller pipe for the suction to help size material and avoid plug ups.

Or not just a thought. You have honestly made the only battery powered suction nozzle I've seen and I would consider trying... And if Docs pump suggestion would make more pressure HMMMMMMM.

Either way I like it..:headbang:

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool build.
AMAZING PSI.............
Doc

Thanks for the recommendation Doc. I'll look into it. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool....hey Jake what if you ditch the curved input...to loose a little bit of resistance....??? I see haw it could be limiting your crack access. Flow is coming from another direction any way...what if you went direct in the end with your pressure flow...you might be able to get a little more length on your suction end so more depth into a crack.

So a .... T....... with hose coming in and out... PUMP ''''''''''''''''''''''T'''''''''''''''''''''SLUICE.... I think that might work...You could also use a smaller pipe for the suction to help size material and avoid plug ups.

Or not just a thought. You have honestly made the only battery powered suction nozzle I've seen and I would consider trying... And if Docs pump suggestion would make more pressure HMMMMMMM.

Either way I like it..:headbang:

Thanks for watching and the suggestion. I'm planning on doing another project on this build. I also, like Doc's recommendation. Again, thanks.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great build, cool video always enjoy them. On your inlet where you go from pool hose to pvc instead of bushing what about a bell reducer. It might give you more uninterrupted flow by funneling water instead of going from one size to immediately another. I don't know if you'll find pvc one, but for sure could find iron pipe fitting. Newbie so don't know much on dredge equipment, but have you tried different fitting beside
San tee? Maybe a wye or combo tee (wye with 45 degree st elbow )

Scubaman2

Sep 16, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice! I live in the desert area and could see this becoming a recirculating dredge with some slight modifications. What I don't know as I am not a dredger but love the small build. Hey keep it coming very innovative to say the least. :hello2:

OP
OP
IdahoJake

IdahoJake

Oct 9, 2013
Clarkston, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I thought I could improve on my 12 volt dredge build. I purchased an extended wye sanitary tee to build the dredge body. I took more time bending the 3/4" pvc: heating it more thoroughly in the area that was to be bent; packing it with more sand to keep the integrity of the pipe while it was being bent; and bending it more slowly around the cylinder I was using to form it. I think it came out pretty good and it works awesome. It'll be great to use to clean out some crevices in bedrock quickly and thoroughtly...plus, its as quiet as a mouse! Here's a pic.

002.JPG

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would put a switch in between one of your battery leads.
That large of a pump and when you hooked it up did you see and hhear those sparks.
If that was a feshly charged battery one of those posts would or could go between your eyes.
Had a owner of a gas station where I worked weekends growing up.
Bent over a battery while charging with a cigarrete in his mouth.
Ash fell off and the pos post went between his eyes killing him.
Into his brain.
The nasal section is nothing but soft bone and tissue.
Not like your fore head.
Would like to see more of your inventions.
Know what I mean.
Nice, may build one myself to work with my mini highbanker.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake have you tried the 3000 gph pump with a jet? A jet is more efficient than a SN. I have been having some very good results with a 2000 gph bilge and a 2" jet. Pressure becomes the issue and varies between brands of pumps. Still trying to find a battery solution for depth

ratled

Salmon King

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I thought I could improve on my 12 volt dredge build. I purchased an extended wye sanitary tee to build the dredge body. I took more time bending the 3/4" pvc: heating it more thoroughly in the area that was to be bent; packing it with more sand to keep the integrity of the pipe while it was being bent; and bending it more slowly around the cylinder I was using to form it. I think it came out pretty good and it works awesome. It'll be great to use to clean out some crevices in bedrock quickly and thoroughtly...plus, its as quiet as a mouse! Here's a pic.

View attachment 1218357

Idaho Jake...

I have watched your video at least 50 times comparing your build to mine. My problem is...NO SUCTION.
I'm using a 2000GPH pump and a 1.5" "Y". But my pump has an outlet dia. of 1 1/8" and since I could not find the proper sized hose for that I used 1 1/4" pool hose (as you did).
I'm reducing it to 1/2" just before the bend start of the bend in the tubing and feeding it to the 3/8" jet. I used the 4:1 ratio to figure jet size but have also tried 5/16, and 1/2" with no success.
The only thing I'm not sure of is if 8' of inlet hose is too long. My outlet hose is also 8' of 1.5" and like you I used pool hose.
Do you have any ideas I can try to get this nozzle to work?

Thanks, Terry

Brivic1

Feb 20, 2013
Magalia, Nor Calif. formaly Vic. Australia
Detector(s) used
A2b groundhog/ whites GM3/ Vsat, and TDI.
13hp 5" jawcrusher, Dryblower, recirc. HB.
F md-20............ Goldbug Pro / 5"and 10" coils
Whites TDI several coils............... My own dowsing tools

Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Jake. I have found that 80 psi is what is needed . I have used 1.5 Santee with 3/8 jet . It works well on house pressure. I have watched all the videos and believe me a Rule 3700 and any other bilge pump will not work. You need around 300 gph and 80 psi.++ I have tried the 50 psi HF pumps , two in line, and together , but 50 + 50 does not make 100 . So where is a 100 psi pump with 400 gph , and 12vdc / 24vdc ????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions