Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GENTLEMEN ALL,

Heading South through Oregon after a great time prospecting with Mike and Boyce on the Skykomish river in Washington. My wife Anne and I will set up camp at the Hampton Inn in Medford tomorrow Oct.2nd.

The plan is to: Hit 1. Valley of the Rogue State Park, 2. Gold Hill Regional Park, and 3. Gold Nugget Recreation Area. These, and any good looking spots on smaller tributaries of the Rogue between Grants Pass and Medford. We will sample everything that looks good within the physical limits of two Senior Members of AARP!

Any suggestions from you Oregon TNetters would be greatly appreciated and held close to the vest. We would love some company if anyone needs a good excuse to get away from the TV. We will swing by the prospecting shop in Medford on the way down to stock up on EXTRA LARGE gold vials and weighing equipment...... The Bazooka Sniper and Launch Pad will get a real workout.

All the best, Thurman

Yep, just read the Oregon prospecting/panning restrictions on the Rogue and will follow them to the letter. Pretty Rogue rules though

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman virtually all of the land along the Rogue between Medford and Grants Pass is private. What little isn't private is claimed. You will be better off sticking to the parks you mentioned. Prospecting willy nilly could get you in a situation that even AARP couldn't help you with.

Good Luck and
Heavy Pans

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Clay,

Oh yeah... that was my plan. I know about Willy Nilly. He is a relative of mine back in Arkansas and was the only person ever turned down by the AARP. Kidding aside, I am a peach (peace) loving man; one of the last Boy Scouts. Your advice is well taken and appreciated.

Best regards, Thurman

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to grants pass, go down river past below hellgate lots of pull offs and parks because its a wild & scenic river
and also on a W&S river all the tributary's 1/4 mile up should be open to sampling, don't cross any private property or fences
stop by Armadillo mining shop in grants pass they will know some good places to go

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Reply to Ratled private message) Steve,

Also thanks to Winners58

You are not ratled. The New 49ers is the real deal of outfits. If I lived anywhere near here I would be a charter member.

Stopped by the Armadillo shop in Grants Pass on the way down. Nice place, decent stock of supplies, except no bacon or beans. They were very helpful with a marked-up map of the Rogue. Wife Anne and I will do some reconnoitering tomorrow morning and go from there.

Your comment about the Rogue not being bank friendly was repeated by the folks at Armadillo. But I did find out about the areas where sluices and shovels are allowed. Also, the Rogue runs right through Medford where we are staying and I have never seen anyone prospecting in "town". Will do some research and see what pops up.

Sincere thanks for the support. Will keep you posted.

Best regards, Thurman

Corrected: The Rogue does not run through Medford. Bear creek (I think is the name) does. Waitress at Outback was not a good source. Thurman

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread