Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny what today we call "surviving"....vs. what used to be called "living"

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living then WAS surviving, as best they could. Same is said for my Grandparents in the 20-40's. Survival was living within your means, and supporting your family by growing/raising your own food.

This idea is not intended to put anyone in harms way, but loosely reenact history.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good read for any miner, the book " Bacon and beans from a gold pan" is the true story of a husband and wife in the 30s during the depression that decided to mine for a living, they actually did well enough to make it and said it was some of the best years of there life. Not the same as going back in time but close.. Ive spent enough time outdoors that if I was homeless today I'd be living at the claim and most likely doing fine, but in the 1800 that's a different story..Would like to think that I'd figure something out fast or at least die trying lol

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awww Come on Bob! I spent four straight months out in the field when I moved up to Kingman. Once a month trip into town for "Beans and Bullets" and right back out. Granted I had a lot of comforts with me like a field shower, stove for hot meals etc but now days it's a blessing to be away from town and the normal peoples insanity.

Spending all that time out in the field prospecting was a great learning experience. It helped me to get a real handle on the local geology and clear the cobwebs out of my head. I only wish I had made the decision to turn pro a long time ago!

I'd love to do that, with modern creature comforts, such as a truck I can get in to go get beer, because I'll be dipped in dog doo if I'm camping without cold beer. A camper with AC, a grill. A truck to go
get water with, not a mule that can only haul 20 or 30 gallons, and then you have to walk back, with a mule.

Working on getting a little closer to that. Got a camper, and working on the road that goes to my claim to get it in there. Camper still needs a few stupid things fixed... But I can't wait, it should be a blast.
Unless something works out well, I'll pass on doing it professionally. I'd much rather pull a Wyatt Earp. Mine the miners and then go and try to get some gold on the side. Owning a business is scary enough,
I couldn't imagine having to rely on what mother nature thought I should make this week.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not intended for just anybody. We all have our vices. Mine is beer. But given the circumstances, I could go without for short periods of time. I tent camp at my claim nearly every weekend, and I believe I could build a suitable shelter for longer stays.

Point is, could you support yourself in a foreign environment, with minimal tools, and find gold? Most can't, or won't even try. And that's all good, you're no less a miner for playing it safe.

But, if you could, would you?

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like a great experience. I like to read gold rush miners journals (that goldenmojo shared with me). They give me a glimpse of what it was like for the early miners. Ive always wondered if i would make it as most miners didnt back then.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are millions of people today that live in worse conditions with less opportunity to thrive than our nineteenth century ancestors. I'm not saying it wasn't a hard life, I am saying that people were more prepared and used to the environment of the time. Comfort is a relative term. there was no electricity, plumbing or real refrigeration. many of the people who settled the west had money and were from connected families. they had something to go back to...did lack of initial easy success in the goldfields send a bunch of greenhorns packing to the next schooner back home? Yep and guess what all those horrors stories back home do? Impress thousands to come out west and give it a go.
Groups survived and thrived via community whether it was on wagon wheels or clinging to some hillside in frame tents and lean too's, the most successful assigned jobs based on strengths, trade, and skill. The individuals who set out had to be jacks of all trades and had a very strong knowledge of how to use the land and respect it.Commerce and initiative being what it is led to many fine communities popping up in what we would now call hostile environments because of the surrounding terrain and nothing else. a great many of those towns still exist. And like today you could head out of town just a ways and essentially be in wilderness.
The main hurdles I see in this situation are the influence of modern times. technically you cant shoot what you want when you want to live. and you can't move as needed because of all the modern development. Go full blown authentic let me head out with gear and the trappings of living, put me in an area with paying gold and you bet your boots I would be able to do it...for now I'll just have to keep doing it the way I am and be home at night...I'm lucky though as I live right on top of the Motherlode. very few people were setting out with just the basics I.E a gun, a knife ,some buckskins a bedroll, flint and steel. those guys were called mountain men and like all the smartest men they were chasing beaver:laughing7:.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I guess you ugly guys like living in the dirt and rocks, sweaty and dirty all the time with flies and mosquitos landing on all of your exposed skin all the time, but us handsome fellas like girls. So we sell you claims, shovels, and pans. :occasion14:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well after four straight months prospecting in a tent earlier this year this wouldn't be much worse. Could I do it... Yes. Not a problem with my military training. Would I want to do it for a camera? Nope. The American public isNOT prepared for this old snake eater :icon_salut: and his foul mouth. I can make Tony Beats sound like an amateur when I get ticked. About every tenth or twelfth word might not have to be bleeped. :nono: I filter it quite well here on the interweb though! Have y'all fooled into thinking I'm a well spoken person with a high level of education. If you only knew! LOL :blackbeard:

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I myself will stay here in the 21st century with my Minelabs thank you very much. I would have likely been shot at a young age if I had to live in the 1800's. Unless I was able to stay sober when young and keep my mouth shut, lol. More than likely I would have had to work in a stable tending livestock or some other low paying job. Dennis

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after four straight months prospecting in a tent earlier this year this wouldn't be much worse. Could I do it... Yes. Not a problem with my military training. Would I want to do it for a camera? Nope. The American public isNOT prepared for this old snake eater :icon_salut: and his foul mouth. I can make Tony Beats sound like an amateur when I get ticked. About every tenth or twelfth word might not have to be bleeped. :nono: I filter it quite well here on the interweb though! Have y'all fooled into thinking I'm a well spoken person with a high level of education. If you only knew! LOL :blackbeard:

All my years working and running kitchens has given me quite the vocabulary as well:laughing7:..... I would develop a lot of beeps...and depending on the day messing with the editing crew might just be on the agenda to relieve some stress....I might have to study up on 19th century cuss words to make it more accurate...funny when I watch tony...or say or say Gordon ramsey from hells kitchen I'm annoyed with the beeps cause I know what their saying and the missing words are literally no longer on my offensometer...con sarned greasy polecat pig licker sounds way more fun to me!!!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
absolutely....i dont know a thing about gold prospecting but id hire somebody that did!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
All my years working and running kitchens has given me quite the vocabulary as well:laughing7:..... I would develop a lot of beeps...and depending on the day messing with the editing crew might just be on the agenda to relieve some stress....I might have to study up on 19th century cuss words to make it more accurate...funny when I watch tony...or say or say Gordon ramsey from hells kitchen I'm annoyed with the beeps cause I know what their saying and the missing words are literally no longer on my offensometer...con sarned greasy polecat pig licker sounds way more fun to me!!!

Well between the Army where swearing is an art form as well as 20 years of preforming at Ren-Faires where I learned a multitude of Olde English / Irish curses I can cuss ya out and make you think I'm actually paying you a compliment! :laughing7: I've also got sarcasm down to a fine point thanks to years of watching Alan Alda on M.A.S.H.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike,
Having now read the further pages of your explanation about your question, a show, I know it can be done, existing out there! Though I love doing it so it would not really be existing for me. If a person had simple tools it would be easy, though time consuming, to construct a reasonable shelter but then comes winter and after that wet weather and the need for a fireplace and LOTS of cord wood for staying warm and alive. I've winter camped on ridge lines in gold country, make one mistake and you are not happy and nearly the same is true of wet weather camping. Being prepared and having some 'know how' is what "existing" is all about..................63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suspect any show would have a "season" just as you can't mine in Alaska basically nine months of the year. So it's not the intention to put someone in a life long or life threatening position. We all do the camping thing when we mine/prospect. Lets just extent that to all summer. Yes, some seasons are longer than others depending on the location, but unless the idea sells, gets sponsors, and get broadcast, there ain't no budget, or compensation at this time. I could see that happening though. Otherwise, not even myself could go without the real (gov't monopoly) money.

I though about doing this with three different miners, in different locations, but some people saw it more like a competition. That made them see it as unfair. I tried to explain it wasn't direct competition with the other miners, but a competition with each one's self.

It's still just a thought, and likely will never happen. Though I may do it myself when I hit that retirement age. It's not that far off....But I'm keeping my modern day luxury as well. GOTTA have my BEER.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes and I would change my name to Old Krusty........

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...the Klown :-P

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've lived in a wall tent for several months at a time without any modern conviences and I can tell you once you realize that your basic needs don't change and the majority of the "real world" is just noise you start to enjoy the actual living. For me those times were some of the best, simpliest and most fullfilling I've experienced. The hardest part is getting used to the chaos and constant movement when you get back. Most miners had somewhat of a grubstake to start out with for the season. Give me the same and the opportunity of a location that is representitive of what the 49ers could expect along with what I know now- HECK YEA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread