fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Honestly that price is highway robbery. Hit up the local Army surplus store and you should be able to get one for a quarter of the price. I personallly prefer the small garden shovels that don't fold. Moving parts have a bad habit of letting me down when I'm umpteen miles from nowhere.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get those at like Wal-mart. I got one, don't use it too wimpy. I got two shovels I use one is a spade it's small looks like a kids shovel only about 30'' long great for getting in tight places. the other is a bigger spade long handle it has sides and a back welded onto it that's so you don't loose your dirt coming out of the water' I built mine but you can get them on-line.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can get those at like Wal-mart. I got one, don't use it too wimpy. I got two shovels I use one is a spade it's small looks like a kids shovel only about 30'' long great for getting in tight places. the other is a bigger spade long handle it has sides and a back welded onto it that's so you don't loose your dirt coming out of the water' I built mine but you can get them on-line.

Have the best of both worlds and box in one of those small garden shovels......Hmmmm, need to go play in the shop for a bit.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Folding shovels also have a habit of failing at the wrong time and trying to take a bite out of you while they do it. :censored: They're too short for comfortable working in most situations too. Save your back and knees and use a fixed long handle. added sides and back optional :wink:

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have the best of both worlds and box in one of those small garden shovels......Hmmmm, need to go play in the shop for a bit.

When you box it in go around the top edge with some 3/4 or 1'' flat stock for a lip.

Attachments

• DSCF0243.JPG
    DSCF0243.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0244.JPG
    DSCF0244.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0245.JPG
    DSCF0245.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0246.JPG
    DSCF0246.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
25 Pounds

Attachments

• 1444155728134.jpg
    1444155728134.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 102

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And free hands to carry my old #2 and a bucket if needed.

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think that shovel would be too useful digging river gravels, you would likely lose 75% of each shovel full by the time you put the material in your bucket/ sluice.

I classic #2 has a larger surface area and a longer handle. Also doubles as a walking stick...Just my new guy opinion lol.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It' all in how you use your tool LOL! seriously no it does work good especially in a current the box keeps you material in the shovel.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no fan of folding shovels.
Sure they're easy to carry, but very frustrating to use.
I predict you would get annoyed with one very quickly and be back right back in the shovel market.

There are several good YouTube videos on the subject, including (perhaps) this one:

There's another good video out there, but it must have fallen off my search list or I wasn't logged in when I watched it.
Just do a little searching and see some of those folding shovels in action.
Might change your opinion of them?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol... this thread just made me think about a short handle red fiberglass shovel I havn't seen around the yard lately..sears craftsman...Christmas gift card shovel. I do remember where it is btw8-)...its not in the yard right now.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a shovel. Like nh. nuggets picture of his modified shovel.When digging in the water. It catch"s the gold as good as a BGT sluice. Can"t beat either of them.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bostonmike,
I have that shovel in its original form of a straight handle. I've used it for several years, it is one of the tools I would not leave home without. The version I have is strong, the new handle makes me think it is not worth it as that plastic will break. The price for the new unit is abusive!

Recently I saw another company put out something strong (can't think of their name), also collapses.

Either brand has a small, shallow shovel part so yes it will drop dirt Especially if you are digging underwater with it. As a surface scraping tool, 90 degree version, it works great. Shop around, I saw the new unit at a Bass Pro Shop in Houston TX, you might check on line to see what comes up when you enter shovels, I think it comes with a hatchet............................63bkpkr

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YUP, works great! It's good for tight places a long handle spade is good also. And a crow bar for moving rocks. Are you going this weekend? The day's are getting numbered Let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread