Wild Country Finds

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To preface I didn't find gold, was going to look at some old gold mines but ran out of time between scouting for hunting season and just plain enjoying my trip. I did find some interesting rocks and was reminded that quartz can be found in the most unexpected places. The first few pictures are some river rocks found on the top of the Owhyee canyon about 1000 feet above the river. The broken agates were found in the same spot but weren't rounded and the one piece almost looks like someone tried to flake it in to an arrowhead but I don't know....

The last picture of quartz was found in the weirdest place. I was walking in the middle of sagebrush and desert surrounded by nothing but volcanic rocks and as I top over this little hump there was a big chunk of volcanic rock about the size of kitchen table and on it was this piece of quartz. I didn't look for anymore because as I bent over to pick up the quartz rock two bucks jumped up 50 feet away and only one made it any further.

Was a good day all the way around, dad and I both tagged out by 1:00 pm on opening day. NCM_0207.JPG NCM_0208.JPG NCM_0209.JPG NCM_0210.JPG NCM_0211.JPG NCM_0212.JPG NCM_0213.JPG NCM_0204.JPG

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds, and congrats on the opening day buck! My grandaughter and I have been doing quite a bit of looking for one to jump up for us as well. So far we are finding some really cool rocks too! lol.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon, some interesting stuff there. The one piece sure does look like it's been knapped. The Owyhees are some beautiful high desert country. Glad you nailed a couple of nice bucks

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the best place for a pair of bucks to me! And the rocks are cool too!

OP
OP
O

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's what I was thinking too, copper and I think it might have some pyrite in it on that same edge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread