637 was supposedly just signed

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it was signed. California Gov. Brown signs new law to protect rivers, fisheries - KUSI News - San Diego, CA

"SACRAMENTO (KUSI) — California Gov. Jerry Brown Friday signed into law Senate Bill 637 to protect California’s water supplies, wildlife and cultural resources from the damaging effects of destructive hobby gold mining.
The new law requires that all small-scale miners using motorized suction pumps obtain a Clean Water Act Permit from the State Water Resources Control Board before mining in California waterways"

Apparently I was correct when I was continually bashed when I tried to get everyone focused on the CWA and the fact that California would use the act against miners. You all could have gotten together back then and did something instead of bashing me! Oh well! Good luck!

It really doesn't matter what the courts decide in the Rinehart and/or the new 49's case. Neither of them address the Federal Clean Water Act!

The BLM requires compliance with the Act.

As we speak Congress is about to vote to amend the Act. They want to expand from navigable waters to all waters including small streams, ponds and even dry washes.

Do you think that Cali and other states are going to ignore the power of the CWA?

(Deleted by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chlsbrns,stop trying to stir up trouble...

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BLESS YOUR EVERLOVIN HEART! That's code use your secret decoder ring.

Chlsbrns-
"Apparently I was correct when I was continually bashed when I tried to get everyone focused on the CWA and the fact that California would use the act against miners. You all could have gotten together back then and did something instead of bashing me! Oh well! Good luck!"

People have been working on this from the get go way before your Nov 2014 clairvoyant vision of what none of us worthless miners could comprehend or possibly fathom. Since they wouldn't include the water folks from the beginning it has been well understood this and future litigation was coming. Geez O'Pete- toot toot goes your horn again!

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

This will end in court also!

Water Right Law

Water right law in California and the rest of the West is markedly different from the laws governing water use in the eastern United States.
Seasonal, geographic, and quantitative differences in precipitation caused California’s system to develop into a unique blend of two very different kinds of rights: riparian and appropriative. Other types of rights exist in California as well, among them reserved rights (water set aside by the federal government when it reserves land for the public domain) and pueblo rights (a municipal right based on Spanish and Mexican law).
Riparian rights usually come with owning a parcel of land that is adjacent to a source of water. With statehood, California adopted the English common law familiar to the eastern seaboard; such law also included the riparian doctrine.
A riparian right entitles the landowner to use a correlative share of the water flowing past his or her property. Riparian rights do not require permits, licenses, or government approval, but they apply only to the water which would naturally flow in the stream. Riparian rights do not entitle a water use to divert water to storage in a reservoir for use in the dry season or to use water on land outside of the watershed. Riparian rights remain with the property when it changes hands, although parcels severed from the adjacent water source generally lose their right to the water.
Water right law was set on a different course in 1849, when thousands of fortune seekers flocked to California following the discovery of gold. Water development proceeded on a scale never before witnessed in the United States as these “49ers” built extensive networks of flumes and waterways to work their claims. The water carried in these systems often had to be transported far from the original river or stream. The self-governing, maverick miners applied the same “finders-keepers” rule to water that they did to their mining claims. It belonged to the first miner to assert ownership.
To stake their water claims, the miners developed a system of “posting notice” which signaled the birth of today’s appropriative right system. It allowed others to divert available water from the same river or stream, but their rights existed within a hierarchy of priorities. This “first in time, first in right” principal became an important feature of modern water right law.
In 1850, California entered the Union as the thirty-first state. One of the first actions taken by its lawmakers was to adopt the common law of riparian rights. One year later, the Legislature recognized the appropriative right system as having the force of law. The appropriative right system continued to increase in use as agriculture and population centers blossomed and ownership of land was transferred into private hands.
The conflicting nature of California’s dual water right system prompted numerous legal disputes. Unlike appropriative users, riparian right holders were not required to put water to reasonable and beneficial use. This clash of rights eventually resulted in a constitutional amendment (Article X, Section 2 of the California Constitution) that requires all use of water to be “reasonable and beneficial.” These “beneficial uses” have commonly included municipal and industrial uses, irrigation, hydroelectric generation, and livestock watering. More recently, the concept has been broadened to include recreational use, fish and wildlife protection, and enhancement and aesthetic enjoyment.
Up to the early 1900’s appropriators — most of them miners and nonriparian farmers — had simply taken control of and used what water they wanted. Sometimes notice was filed with the county recorder, but no formal permission was required from any administrative or judicial body.
The Water Commission Act of 1914 established today’s permit process. The Act created the agency that later evolved into the State Board and granted it the authority to administer permits and licenses for California’s surface water. The act was the predecessor to today’s water Code provisions governing appropriation.
These post-1914 appropriative rights are governed by the aforementioned hierarchy of priorities developed by the 49ers. In times of shortage the most recent (“junior”) right holder must be the first to discontinue such use; each right’s priority dates to the time the permit application was filed with the State Board. Although pre- and post-1914 appropriative rights are similar, post-1914 rights are subject to a much greater degree of scrutiny and regulation by the Board.
Riparian rights still have a higher priority than appropriative rights. The priorities of riparian right holders generally carry equal weight; during a drought all share the shortage among themselves.

Last edited:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say...

I really don't see the point of "protecting" California's water supplies when it ain't hardly got any to being with.
Assuming this drought continues, the Clean WATER Act might as well be renamed the Clean DIRT Act.

In my opinion, the Government would be better off to find long term, sustainable solutions to its continuing water shortages (some would say "crisis"), and leave the recreational miners alone.

But hey, I live in Florida.
We don't have problems with water here, (Global Warming notwithstanding...)

But we still got problems with politicians!! I guess that is a universal constant.

I will also admit (although I didn't actually do it)...
I was tempted to just let the water run all night in my San Ramon hotel room after having received a $168 ticket for talking on my cell phone in a rental car not equipped with hands-free.
I do understand the issue, but I am a very safe driver. I think the policeman could have easily let me off with a warning, especially since I was from out of state.
But.. NO! I think they target folks like that(?). And I can see where California needs the money to fix their water woes...

Still, doesn't exactly roll-out the welcome mat, if you know what I mean.

OK, I'll jump off the soapbox now. Don't mean to hijaak the thread.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
BLESS YOUR EVERLOVIN HEART! That's code use your secret decoder ring.

Chlsbrns-
"Apparently I was correct when I was continually bashed when I tried to get everyone focused on the CWA and the fact that California would use the act against miners. You all could have gotten together back then and did something instead of bashing me! Oh well! Good luck!"

People have been working on this from the get go way before your Nov 2014 clairvoyant vision of what none of us worthless miners could comprehend or possibly fathom. Since they wouldn't include the water folks from the beginning it has been well understood this and future litigation was coming. Geez O'Pete- toot toot goes your horn again!

I thought that you were ignoring me?

You must not have read the threads and posts that disagreed with me.

Yes I figured that many have been working on the issue from the get go... Any progress?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

This will end in court also!

Water Right Law

Water right law in California and the rest of the West is markedly different from the laws governing water use in the eastern United States.
Seasonal, geographic, and quantitative differences in precipitation caused California’s system to develop into a unique blend of two very different kinds of rights: riparian and appropriative. Other types of rights exist in California as well, among them reserved rights (water set aside by the federal government when it reserves land for the public domain) and pueblo rights (a municipal right based on Spanish and Mexican law).
Riparian rights usually come with owning a parcel of land that is adjacent to a source of water. With statehood, California adopted the English common law familiar to the eastern seaboard; such law also included the riparian doctrine.
A riparian right entitles the landowner to use a correlative share of the water flowing past his or her property. Riparian rights do not require permits, licenses, or government approval, but they apply only to the water which would naturally flow in the stream. Riparian rights do not entitle a water use to divert water to storage in a reservoir for use in the dry season or to use water on land outside of the watershed. Riparian rights remain with the property when it changes hands, although parcels severed from the adjacent water source generally lose their right to the water.
Water right law was set on a different course in 1849, when thousands of fortune seekers flocked to California following the discovery of gold. Water development proceeded on a scale never before witnessed in the United States as these “49ers” built extensive networks of flumes and waterways to work their claims. The water carried in these systems often had to be transported far from the original river or stream. The self-governing, maverick miners applied the same “finders-keepers” rule to water that they did to their mining claims. It belonged to the first miner to assert ownership.
To stake their water claims, the miners developed a system of “posting notice” which signaled the birth of today’s appropriative right system. It allowed others to divert available water from the same river or stream, but their rights existed within a hierarchy of priorities. This “first in time, first in right” principal became an important feature of modern water right law.
In 1850, California entered the Union as the thirty-first state. One of the first actions taken by its lawmakers was to adopt the common law of riparian rights. One year later, the Legislature recognized the appropriative right system as having the force of law. The appropriative right system continued to increase in use as agriculture and population centers blossomed and ownership of land was transferred into private hands.
The conflicting nature of California’s dual water right system prompted numerous legal disputes. Unlike appropriative users, riparian right holders were not required to put water to reasonable and beneficial use. This clash of rights eventually resulted in a constitutional amendment (Article X, Section 2 of the California Constitution) that requires all use of water to be “reasonable and beneficial.” These “beneficial uses” have commonly included municipal and industrial uses, irrigation, hydroelectric generation, and livestock watering. More recently, the concept has been broadened to include recreational use, fish and wildlife protection, and enhancement and aesthetic enjoyment.
Up to the early 1900’s appropriators — most of them miners and nonriparian farmers — had simply taken control of and used what water they wanted. Sometimes notice was filed with the county recorder, but no formal permission was required from any administrative or judicial body.
The Water Commission Act of 1914 established today’s permit process. The Act created the agency that later evolved into the State Board and granted it the authority to administer permits and licenses for California’s surface water. The act was the predecessor to today’s water Code provisions governing appropriation.
These post-1914 appropriative rights are governed by the aforementioned hierarchy of priorities developed by the 49ers. In times of shortage the most recent (“junior”) right holder must be the first to discontinue such use; each right’s priority dates to the time the permit application was filed with the State Board. Although pre- and post-1914 appropriative rights are similar, post-1914 rights are subject to a much greater degree of scrutiny and regulation by the Board.
Riparian rights still have a higher priority than appropriative rights. The priorities of riparian right holders generally carry equal weight; during a drought all share the shortage among themselves.

The issue is about disturbing sediments and such not about water rights.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Nope not me. Actually I'm hoping you'll drop the east coast buisness and come out here and save us all!:thumbsup: We sure could use the help. Be in your best interest since we all know what happens here sooner than later spreads to there.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You must not have read the threads and posts that disagreed with me.

Yes I figured that many have been working on the issue from the get go... Any progress?

Progress? Put your money where you're mouth is... Many of us have spent many thousands of dollars fighting this for the last 10+ years. Even this year many of us are in for another thousand+ and where are you? Put your money in to PLP, WMA, AMRA, NEW49ers, Brandon Reinhardt and help us the most by leaving your mouth out of it.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh please get a head on your shoulders and learn the laws.

Thats what you said last time. Last time when I said that Rinehart was wasting time and money that he would win but he would win nothing because the State would use the CWA.

You won! Now you can put in an application, pay a large deposit to find out if you can dredge in that one location. Or you can dredge without any permit. If you get caught you can fight the Federal CWA in Court. With your knowledge of the law they don't stand a chance.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Progress? Put your money where you're mouth is... Many of us have spent many thousands of dollars fighting this for the last 10+ years. Even this year many of us are in for another thousand+ and where are you? Put your money in to PLP, WMA, AMRA, NEW49ers, Brandon Reinhardt and help us the most by leaving your mouth out of it.

I wouldn't put my money on a lost cause as stated above. If by some miracle you do beat a CWA case California will use their Porter Cologn Act. It's more restrictive than the CWA.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed (or anyone)...if the Nation State of California makes it too difficult,
or completely unreasonable to qualify for this permit, would that not again
give us reason for legal action?

Then again, it could be the goal of the state to do just that...keep it
in the courts eternally. With all that state tax payer money to spend,
what do they care? More like job security for some useless eco-wacko
state attorneys.

On another note: Gents (and ladies if it applies): I've recently added
a member to my "Ignore" list, as I'm a bit short-fused lately. Reason
is the members posts irritate me to no end, but now I don't have to
see them. In order to reduce my stress level, I would appreciate it if you
didn't quote the member in your responses.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't put my money on a lost cause as stated above. If by some miracle you do beat a CWA case California will use their Porter Cologn Act. It's more restrictive than the CWA.
And we will still keep fighting, just like we have been. You see it as a lost cause, I see it as a battle between right and wrong. When the State breaks the law, we need to fight, not bend over and just consider it a lost cause. We that have been fighting for our rights - will continue fighting just like we have been... for decades now.

Last edited:

Imfishboy

Jan 30, 2015
Sonoma County,Ca
Detector(s) used
MXT ALL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's your Jack Ass Democrats in Sacramento at it again. Restrict, restrict , restrict.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread