Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
where it ain't

Been busy with lots of stuff but want to follow up on a few things that have happened between cracking and slurping.

I returned to my usual area on the upper river with the goal of trying to think out side of the box and not cave in to the fever or the snobbery. (As I have yet to control the first let alone two...it was quite the challenge.

Test site 1. Year round freshwater spring/creek nearby. Saw lots of reeds. I remembered something on you tube about that being a good gold sign...in the south maybe??? Sampled from the outlet. Amount recovered: 1 gal. Results: LOTS of black sand and one fine.

Test site 2. Right out of the bank where I parked. Amount recovered: large pan full. Results: no gold.

Test site 3. The base of a large bedrock incline next to the road. Amount recovered: 2 gal. Results: no gold...and likely because overburden was bottomless.

Test site# 4. I gave into my urges and found a "good" spot. Moved a couple of large boulders that were in the way using the lift and block procedure till gravity took over and they rolled off. While digging to bedrock (in the bedrock) I found a pull tab style Coors can that weighed about a pound! Opened and panned contents at home. Results: black sand. (At first this was kinda exciting cuz of the age of the can...ain't no body been in this spot for a long time! Amount recovered: 5 gal. Results: One flake and a few fines.

I'm starting to see a pattern here. The one flake in each promising test hole tells me just maybe these have been already been worked this year. 9 gal total and nothing picture worthy. I'll be going back next week for sure tho.

Tested my metal detector on gold pieces and small nuggets and it failed miserably. It would find my wedding ring np. Oh well, it does what it's designed to do

I classified and tested some of the sands from the shrimp gun trip on the lower river and so far nothing to speak of for now BUT I quit sampling just as I got to clay. It was getting dark, the hole was full of water and the gun was plugging up...that's the only way I could tell I hit clay. So I need to get back there with a small bucket and table spoon and finish hole #1 up.

Too boring for a gold show but fun learning where it is and ain't. Still working on getting that special guest star from TN in WA next week. Weather here has been perfect and looks good thru the end of the month. I'll be prospecting both sites very soon.

And if you didn't catch my tip in the other thread...ALWAYS MAP EVERY TEST SPOT EVERY TIME!!! My best spot was my first one and I don't remember exactly where I got it. :BangHead:

Nuff said!

001.jpg 004.jpg

017.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I told you to take notes in class Grasshopper! I keep mine on the computer on my markup maps for the big stuff and I print out land matter maps for close up stuff and they go in a notebook.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post! :occasion14::hello2:

OP
OP
Jeff95531

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I told you to take notes in class Grasshopper! I keep mine on the computer on my markup maps for the big stuff and I print out land matter maps for close up stuff and they go in a notebook.

Yeah I know. Next time I'm gonna step up my game by printing out a topo map and taking it with me to the upper river.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fear not young Jedi...help will be on the way soon. :occasion14:

Packin' up my Nokta Fors Gold, pans, picks, classifiers, all my crevice gear and
the mud boots. That gold won't stand a chance...:laughing7:

Still planning to be there by Tues night.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok... Now get Reed down there, haul DelNorter out from work and that river will be void of gold by nightfall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions