Russian suction nozzle design that rocks...

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are two guys that must have gotten tired of wet shoes, boots, and cold water up to where the sun don't shine. On the other hand, most videos posted from the USA has most (not all) operators sitting or kneeling in the shallow streams.

Credits first -
The author that put this video up onto youtube.com is Andrey Kolov. So all credit goes to him and his associate. Use the link at the bottom or go to youtube and search using his name.

It took me about one hour to "recreate" his design, though not as clean or elegant. I used a 4 inch PVC 90 degree angle joint from a big box, four metal tent pegs, and a wire welder. I'll be trying this out tomorrow... looks like it should beat getting a wet butt.

Driving home to the gold, no brakes or gas pedal necessary.
View attachment 1221435

Unjamming rocks from the suction tip. Note that the tip is pointed, aids in anchoring the suction tip and helps the operator "steer".
View attachment 1221436

Welding of the "steering rod" to the suction tip
View attachment 1221437

Not a wet tusche(buttock) in the crowd.
View attachment 1221439

Here's the link to these guy and their rig -

Hope that their imagination can help us keep dry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're worried about jams then put a 3" ring on the tip. The smaller the opening, the less material moved but with their pump and home built sluice it's a nice set up. If you have a 4" Proline or standard US dredge, then you will be able to move a lot more material with a dredge pump. The more pressure that you have, the less plug ups, because the pressure will pull the cobbles quickly through the hose. With a 3" ring and a handle like theirs, you will run clean.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We,and others, made them for years and NEVER that insipid set of size restrictors as now your running a 1" dredge which can/will be out produced by a shovel and sluicebox. John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep , years back I made one of those out of some stainless steel I had in my shop and I was thinking everyone would laugh at me for using it! I still have parts of it after I cut it apart.

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I used the "steering wheel" component of their design with no restrictor ring. I did however use a pointed grizzly on the nozzle. Who needs to suck up three and four inch rocks... unless the nuggets are that big. Gravel, smaller than four inch rocks, sand and gold what I want to retrieve. I did however create a pit in the stream that you could park a small subcompact car in and barely see the roof. Usually, this whole thing is a lot of work, but I probably moved over 2 yards/hour and didn't raise a sweat.

Check out the image below for my prototype of Kolov's device -

View attachment 1221929

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I used the "steering wheel" component of their design with no restrictor ring. I did however use a pointed grizzly on the nozzle. Who needs to suck up three and four inch rocks... unless the nuggets are that big. Gravel, smaller than four inch rocks, sand and gold what I want to retrieve. I did however create a pit in the stream that you could park a small subcompact car in and barely see the roof. Usually, this whole thing is a lot of work, but I probably moved over 2 yards/hour and didn't raise a sweat.

Check out the image below for my prototype of Kolov's device -

View attachment 1221929

I need to suck up 4" rocks!
Everything that won't go up the hose has to be moved by hand and that means getting on your hands and knees and getting wet
If you aren't wet, your not doing it right ;)

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yep , years back I made one of those out of some stainless steel I had in my shop and I was thinking everyone would laugh at me for using it! I still have parts of it after I cut it apart.

Perhaps you ought to dust off the old parts and give it a try. The steering wheel part was the easiest, smartest way to work shallow water. Some folks seem to be going off the rails over the "grizzly". I guess it's a matter of preference. I tried it, been there like others, but not going back to wet butt and rock jams. Hell, you can put a folding chair in the middle of the stream or embankment and still do a yard or so an hour without breaking into a sweat. Let the a**holes laugh, smile at them, and let them do it the hard way. Best part of all, I didn't have to get down into the hole to suck sand, rock and gravel.

Have a great day!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Thanks for the advice , BUT my days of digging are over ! Now its for the younger guys ! and its NO FUN not being able to get out dredgeing anymore! I still want to but my ole bones are talking to me and laughing!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At my age I'm into easy or easier if it yields much the same results and this method certainly fits that standard. I don't own or will ever own a dredge but if I did this would certainly be in my arsenal. What I need most now is for someone to come up with an idea for a lightweight mechanical advantage shovel.:laughing7:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I wish I could use any dredge. I was midnight mining last night on a hole that I thought I was near bottom last time I was there. Instead I broke into another layer of big/small rocks which left me with still no bottom and a wet sleeve and armpit. That would work 100% for me and my purposes. If I could dredge. Shrimp gun is long enough but only moves rocks smaller than 1 inch. If they're in the way, you're gotta get wet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread