USB microscope camera official thread

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting this thread because someone posted some really cool pictures using a USB microscope. I decided to buy one and while searching Mac supported devices I only came up with one option. The AGPtek USB 800x digital. It was available on EBay as well as Amazon. Since the price was the same I went Amazon. Shipped quick which is typical for Amazon :) but it doesn't work.

The Mac software doesn't work. I glanced at the reviews but didn't really read them because it could find no other options.. Well those reviews said the Mac software was bad...lol.

Anyways I'd like to see what others are using and especially if there is a Mac option.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    990.9 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    878.6 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I figured out a new little trick. I found that if I zoom in with the phone camera I can get rid of the circle around the pics. Here are the latest ones. Some of my "California CornFlakes" at 100X.

1101151319c.jpg 1101151321a.jpg

1101151326.jpg 1101151328.jpg

1101151329.jpg 1101151333.jpg

1101151335.jpg

I also found a holder for the phone on E-bay that locks the phone into position over the microscope. They think of everything now days!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Playing again

This is some gold that I recovered out of some "clean" black sands I had. I ran about 3/4 of a cup through my tumbler for 24 hours with some old deep well sockets in the barrel to do the grinding. Acted like a rod mill and made the stuff like talc. When I went to classify it with my 100 mesh is fell through right away. When it came out of the grinding I panned it down and under the microscope it looked pretty nasty so I soaked it for a few hours in white vinegar to clean it up. There was a nice little pile of it in the pan but this is some I sucked up.

-100 mesh 1.jpg -100 mesh2.jpg

I sure hope that when I get the USB setup that I can get more depth on the field of focus. So now I need to build a miller table and once the black sands have been ground to this size and run on it, that will be quite enough processing for me. Anything left in it afterwards will be donated back to Mother Nature. (aka my garden) And I don't care if it is tiny. It all adds up!!!!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Partner beeped this out of some frozen ground in Groveland last year. Nice specie half grammer, came out good with the USB

Attachments

• FirstGoldBath.jpg
    FirstGoldBath.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 128
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1447988563737.jpg
    1447988563737.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These things go up to $1000.00

The one I bought was at the top spectrum of what I'd be willing to pay and good think too cause I couldn't really find a quality brand that supported Mac for much less. For those of you who like the idea but don't wanna spend the $ I found this:

https://youtu.be/KpMTkr_aiYU

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Now for something a little different. This is a shot of some "Flowered" Mercury @ 160X. The individual "balls" look like gray dust to the naked eye but under magnification you can see them for what they really are...

1118151340.jpg

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This thread looks pretty unofficial to me

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread looks pretty unofficial to me

Get a microscope and contribute to the thread then. A person can learn a lot about the geological makeup of the area they're working by doing so. I know I have. By sharing these pics here other can learn a thing or two as well.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it must be a conspiracy.. The Mac installation software isn't working on this one either. WTF . Too bad there arnt any members out there with with a working camera for Mac that could help me out. Just ones that can make lame negative comments apparently..

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I'm not a Mac guy I can't tell ya Time. I've noticed that my little trick with the cell phone doesn't seem to be working nearly as well lately. I've tried to get several pics since my last post and they all came out looking like :censored:! I'm not sure if it's the cell phone, the lighting or the scope. I moved my setup into my office and since then.... It's a shame too because I've been finding some nice looking smalls lately.

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This:

How can they have this in there FAQ section but no warning on the product page. They probably need to get on that... At least there is a contact link.. We will see...

image.jpg

OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
mytimetoshine

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I called the Dino Light tech support on my lunch break at work and they were very friendly and fixed my problem. He said my model shouldn't be affected by the software issue. He suggested it was just a bad software disk and it was! Downloaded the same exact software directly from there site and bam. Microscope is on! Gonna mess around with it a little tonight try to get a couple shots. I've been freaking waiting for like 2 months for this. Lol

:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread