Carbon Monoxide & Dredge Air

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I've said for years-trash them dorkels, put on a directional flow adaptor on your exhaust up and reverse the air pickup to your briggs engines away from exhaust as your engine does NOT like it either. Even though CM is lighter than air, the heat it contains continues to follow physics as heat always rises, along with the CM so why put your air intake where it's most likely to be. NO problems in 40+ years-be vigilant for taste in your regulator and any form of headache or tightness in your brow. Be safe as trained 1,000s to dredge and all safe so far.Clear brush and overhanging limbs to allow fresh air to flow with any breeze at all as created by cold water movement downstream. Great topic for sure-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice work, very interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind for my dry washer blower engine....another good reason to keep it away and downwind of the work area.

ratled

Feb 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reverse the air pickup to your engines away from exhaust as your engine does NOT like it either.. Clear brush and overhanging limbs to allow fresh air to flow with any breeze at all as created by cold water movement downstream. Great topic for sure

^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Truer words have never been said. I can tell you for a FACT that in tighter areas that have brush and over hangs will cause an issue. Dam near killed me.

I actually have taken on using about 6' of 1.25" flex hose and relocate my air intake to the other side of the dredge.

ratled

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone tried having the exhaust on a tall pipe? Seems to me that releasing it high would be smart since the exhaust is less dense and wants to rise. Then keep the engine and breathing air intakes down low.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Has anyone tried having the exhaust on a tall pipe? Seems to me that releasing it high would be smart since the exhaust is less dense and wants to rise. Then keep the engine and breathing air intakes down low.
Seems that would also help quiet the beast down a bit more as well, One of my pet peeves, i get tired of listening to briggs exhaust noise for hours on end.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
VERY GOOD POST Indy!!!!Atleast 10 years ago I was talking to the now late Rodger Brown (Pop-rivet) from Texas. he designed a CM detector that fit into your mask /mouth piece that would buzz/vibrate to alert you when CM is detected. he sent me a diagram of it to try out but I never did. I have the diagram somewhere , I think its in my old computors hard dive. Rodger was a inventor / Engineer and worked at onetime for the Aerospace industry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

indyme2

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you, John. That's why I took a reading down low at the compressor intake X snorkel. Nothing there. I remember dredging down in a really low valley one summer day. Lots of overhanging trees and not a breeze to be found. I could smell the exhaust gas 15 feet away. Got a little dizzy and feeling some nausea. Convinced it was from the dredge engine. Give me a little breeze and clear those low overhanging branches every time. Not a big fan of snorkels.

OP
OP
I

indyme2

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good work. What became of Astro?

Thanks Oakview2. Astro has a girlfriend with kids now. Doesn't get to hang out with his friends too much anymore. We talk on the phone often but I miss his company.

OP
OP
I

indyme2

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool idea! Changing conditions could easily change the results I got. Lower levels of CO may not bother most people but could make others feel sick. Too bad your friend is gone. It would have interesting to see what he designed. Thanks for watching and leaving a comment, russau.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

indyme2

Greenie
May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Truer words have never been said. I can tell you for a FACT that in tighter areas that have brush and over hangs will cause an issue. Dam near killed me.

I actually have taken on using about 6' of 1.25" flex hose and relocate my air intake to the other side of the dredge.

ratled

Cool picture, ratled. Thanks for the info!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HUMMMMMM?? I thought everyone knew Rodger Brown (pop-rivet) he made the dredge "Rolling Thunder". it was on 49er mikes site back in its day!

Roger was a good friend. He was about as crazy as a shithouse rat but very intelligent so he could make most of his wild ideas come to life.
I miss ol pop...

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dont really worry about what direction my exhaust is pointing in relation to the ever changing wind direction.

My exhaust is non-toxic.

2015-07-30 10.03.59 (Medium).jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread