Knowing where you are or need to be... getting smarter than they are.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Face it. There appears to be an array of tree-huggers, river watchers, pseudo "environmentalist", and other feel good do nothing a**holes that may think that they can get into your face. Mostly, the issues that I've faced are simple, a "ranger" thinks that he/she is still in the park or on forest land, while in fact, he's on private property. Here comes your daily dose of digital wisdom. I can assume that most have either a smart phone or a small portable MS Windows laptop. If you don't wish to endanger your phone, get a cheap MS Windows laptop or tablet from craigslist.org . Just make certain that they have WIFI and can be GPS enabled. If not, there is a $35 GPS USB antennae for the computer. All MS Windows phone are GPS enabled.

The app will permit the user to see park perimeters, boundaries, along with PRIVATE property lines. Best of all, it shows exactly where you are, using the smart phone or tablet GPS, especially if you are sitting on privately owned land that is not part of the federal land grab. They all work using live satellite GPS with the offline maps.

If you are not on a national forest, or a state park, but private property, remind the idiot that is attempting to "confiscate" your stuff, what the meaning of strong arm robbery is. Do resist and call the Sherriff to arrest the fool, above all, do not cancel them. They all work using live satellite GPS with the offline maps.

For about $4.99, Microsoft has an app just for us...https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/maps-pro/9wzdncrfjcdd

I just finished using it, and it is more than we need. There are only 66 map types, some are even California specific. Some National Forests are not what they appear to be, or what the feds want you to believe. Privately owned land abounds within the boundaries of these entities, these maps show them.

For those that require a more sophisticated system of maps along with property owners name, etc. there are apps for that as well. This one is state specific.

Topo Maps SD Cards with Private Lands for iPhone and Android | MyTopo

Except this puppy will set you back $99, it works on iPad, iPhone and Android. Mind you, I'm not hawking a single app, just imparting some thoughts on where to start.

Because North Carolina is starting to look like California, I suggest something like this is great if your activities land you in front of a judge. Your location is paramount. I'm putting a "pun" name on my 12 foot jet boat... "Sly Banker".

View attachment 1224081

Best regards to all

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Thanks for the heads up and great advice! Absolutely resist them when you've got you information correct. I'm sorry to hear that your fine state is catching the environmental Cancer like my state did years ago. I was reading a post by a guy in Wyoming saying how he was prospecting and some lady drove by,freaked out that someone was gold prospecting and called the Sheriff! Wyoming-are you kidding me? So what we all do is your basic covert mining techniques and no problems. Sounds like you could use one of those thermal imaging camera usb add-ons that are pretty reasonable to be able to see these busy bodies in the forest watching you. I bought one used that came with a Galaxy smartphone off ebay very reasonable and works great. One of my mining partners was working on a Land Grant area that has oil wells on it one Saturday morning and this lady walked by and asked him what he was doing. Oh, gold mining he replied. She then told him that the dry creek bed that he's on does run into the local dry riverbed and that he could cause harm to it. He told her basically to get lost (over the years there have been oil leaks into the creek so I think the damage has already been done). Gotta love these do gooders.

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That's one reason I keep PDFs of almost every map for Mohave County on my laptop and a GPS app on my phone that doesn't require a datalink to work. While I was up in the White Hills area I tested several different ones and I kept the "ViewRanger" one. I had gotten to know the areas up there and I could get a position on a satellite view that was within 10 feet or so. My problem is that I've worked with topos for so many years and it's what I'm used to using. I keep forgetting that I've got the app on my phone so it doesn't really get used as often as it should.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have 2 Garmin GPS units that I rarely use because of my lack of getting down with the books! I even have the dvd on how-2-use it , BUT when I went out I useually did most of my research on the computer and printed it out as hard copys that I brought with me. I kept these in my folder for the areas / states that I went to.this folder had all my rules /permits ETC in a neat and orderly fashion. I guess im old school and a old dog to boot!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smart like a fox Russau as IN print in your file shuts them up everytime as hard to fight the written official word. My folder I carry has many dozens of pages now as these insane mandates are levied against us miners. Sic friggn' world-John

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
its ALWAYS BETTER to be prepaired for the inevitable appearance of the long arm of the law. Better to have the facts / laws than to rely on their interpretation/version of the law! That's why Clay and My Land matters so much for us to know the laws. BUT don't just rely on something over the net , do your own research for each state /county that your working in! Ive got several folders from different states with all my paperwork in them. if questioned on anything , I simply pull out my folder and page through it and like John says , it usually stops them from going any further!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They showed an episode of North Woods Law or should say backwards law on either Discovery or Nat.Geo. It takes place in Maine anyway ranger rick comes in while the guy is diving under water dredging he comes up gets arrested equipment confiscated.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
its ALWAYS BETTER to be prepaired for the inevitable appearance of the long arm of the law. Better to have the facts / laws than to rely on their interpretation/version of the law! That's why Clay and My Land matters so much for us to know the laws. BUT don't just rely on something over the net , do your own research for each state /county that your working in! Ive got several folders from different states with all my paperwork in them. if questioned on anything , I simply pull out my folder and page through it and like John says , it usually stops them from going any further!

Fortune favors the prepared mind (or in this case Miner)

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just started to use MapsPro from the Microsoft Store. I invested less than $10 on the whole deal. This is a screen-shot of a plot create in less than 15 minutes or so. The original (top) map overlay indicated park boundaries and the limits of "Smokey" and friends. The Toshiba tablet has an 8" screen, 2GB of ram, tons of storage and most importantly... on board GPS. The nice part of the deal is, darkness is not a problem. If I get caught out after dark, or have to pack it out of the woods, this app and a $65 ebay tablet can get me to where I need to be.

Topo showing park boundaries
View attachment 1231355

Google Earth overlay showing nav plot with waypoints
View attachment 1231349

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still trying to find out why everyone thinks NC is becoming like Cali. I live here and mine for gold with no issues. Would someone please enlighten me.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Eventually if the west coast wacoenviromentalists and the gullible socalled "representatives" of ours get what they want ,ALL states will try to follow suit and get rid of anything that's NOT PUTTING $$$$$ IN "THEIR" POCKETS! I see it happening right now in many states!

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, to begin with, I suggest that you bring a suction dredge, not even a shovel and high banker or the Uwharrie, Pisgah, Nantahala or any NC state park or rec area. It's OK to tear up the forest with off-road rec vehicles, but not use anything bigger than a garden trowel and a handheld sluice. National Forests in North Carolina - Rocks & Minerals:Gold Panning . Check them out and see if his isn't fact. Even the *PAA thinks that it's grand panning under the eyes of tree thuggers.

Here's a text snippet from their web page -

Rules for gold prospecting in Uwharrie National Forest

No mechanized or motorized equipment.

Manual sluice or shaker boxes are allowed as well as pans and shovels. (Manual should read - hand held)

No metal detecting.

No suction dredging.

Collecting is for personal, non-commercial use only.

No collecting of archaeological artifacts.

Pan only in stream channel; do not dig into the stream banks.

Fill any holes in prior to leaving.

Do not throw rocks on the stream banks.

Take your trash out with you; leave the place cleaner than you found it.

- END OF SNIPPET

Too many "Don't" do this or that. These rules also apply to vast areas of the state, including "Recreation" areas. We pay for them, but can't use them unless we have big money or state house lobbyist like Minerals R US Incorporated(fictitious) or Progress Energy (coal ash polluter, not fictitious). The idea that I even have to use a mapping app to maintain present exact location, is absurd. Two of the waypoint markers are boundary indicators or "Smokey can go get a donut marker". If you are on private property not near a governmentally run facility, no problem. Otherwise, be careful.

Sly Banker and company

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand those regulations, but it has been that way for a longgg time. The new district director has changed it to hand tools only, but I understand the rangers think that's silly and don't say anything. My view is this. How is a shovel not a hand tool? Try using one without them. Besides, most of actually go on private land with permission. You can also check with the rangers about areas in the forest that are set aside for detecting. Just don't take it in before you get permission!

OP
OP
ncclaymaker

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just thought that I should show an example of the bureaucratic malaise that one has to deal with at one of North Carolina Lakes... B. Everett Jordan Dam and Lake. US Army Corps of Engineers, N.C Division of Forestry Resources, N.C Division of Parks and Recreation, N.C. Wildlife Resources. Add in the US EPA and N.C. DEHNR. Example: One agency wanted to move two or three dump trucks of sand a short distance to replenish erosion of sand. However, the agency had to apply for a "special" permit to do so. It took only two years... agency to agency. I asked how long it would take for a suction dredge permit. Smiles and comments as to how much money I have to waste before I die of old age.

Californication of North Carolina has been around for a while, yes. Should it be at our expense, using "pseudo-science" to substantiate the claims, no. I'm not butting heads with anyone, but NC is well on its way.

Jordan Lake is a "small" recreation area, but wait, there's more -

***This info was extracted from their own brochure***
The lake has only 180 linear miles of shoreline
Length of boundary line - 280 linear miles
Cost to us - $146,300,000, priceless
Area that our relatively harmless activities are prohibited - all 46,768 acres

enamel7, have a great day.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I read awhile back that some guy was mearly driving up the highway through that forest and got pulled over for just having a dredge in his vehical and it was confiscated from what I read!

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just thought that I should show an example of the bureaucratic malaise that one has to deal with at one of North Carolina Lakes... B. Everett Jordan Dam and Lake. US Army Corps of Engineers, N.C Division of Forestry Resources, N.C Division of Parks and Recreation, N.C. Wildlife Resources. Add in the US EPA and N.C. DEHNR. Example: One agency wanted to move two or three dump trucks of sand a short distance to replenish erosion of sand. However, the agency had to apply for a "special" permit to do so. It took only two years... agency to agency. I asked how long it would take for a suction dredge permit. Smiles and comments as to how much money I have to waste before I die of old age.

Californication of North Carolina has been around for a while, yes. Should it be at our expense, using "pseudo-science" to substantiate the claims, no. I'm not butting heads with anyone, but NC is well on its way.

Jordan Lake is a "small" recreation area, but wait, there's more -

***This info was extracted from their own brochure***
The lake has only 180 linear miles of shoreline
Length of boundary line - 280 linear miles
Cost to us - $146,300,000, priceless
Area that our relatively harmless activities are prohibited - all 46,768 acres

enamel7, have a great day.

I remember a while back being told It was the other way around, that what happens in California is not spreading East in fact it's the total opposite the rest of the country is just fine and enjoying the mining life- what gives? "It all ok, nothing to see hear, we are from the government and you can trust us, now move along quietly please." I'm sooooo confused, but that's OK it could be worse right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread