Mining 101 - What Gold Ore Looks Like - Gold Rush Expeditions

Bnugget

Oct 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video, makes me wanna double check a few areas I've seen. Found this ore the other day that I need to test. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1445232441.368059.jpg

rockbar

Oct 19, 2015
AZ
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice Video.
I have looked over many a mine dump for ore showing visible gold. Hunting for high grade ore adds another exciting element to prospecting and one starts to see similarities in ores, which are not necessarily regional.
Anytime one is able to find large chunks of gold ore that show visible gold, they have found bonanza-grade ore. This is very rare and will be well worth crushing for its gold content. Better yet, it may be sold as ore specimens to collectors or if the piece is suitable for cutting, then you may slab and cab for jewelry.

Would you be able to post some close-up photos of those ore samples here or on your website?
It would be very instructive to show prospectors the difference between native gold and chalcopyrite, which often may resemble gold.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got quite a few suspect pieces of rock from different ore dumps..lots look like this video

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks M.E.G. Really interesting video. I'll look closer at rocks.

Mike

I suggest you don't look closer at rocks... I also suggest you don't start doing meth.

I had to start wearing a belt, for the first time in 20 years. My pants keep falling down from all the rocks in my pockets.

I'm that weirdo wandering around the edge of the parking lot looking at the ground, picking up rocks.

There are gold pans next to the kitchen sink full of rocks, there is a bucket in my living room full of rocks.

The bed of my truck is loaded with rocks, the 4wd shifter boot is stuffed full of "special" rocks that couldn't go in the back.

There are piles of rocks on almost every workbench here in the shop, there is a nice big pile next to the lathe.

The front yard at the house is full of piles of rocks, my better half plays along with the illusion that it is for a planned rock garden.

When the little lady went on vacation to see her aunt this summer, they were sitting in a McDonalds parking lot when her aunt asked "what are
you going to get for Bob?". She went over to the edge of the parking lot and grabbed a bunch of rocks. Her aunt was appalled,
I thought it was a brilliant gift. It was topped off with a bag of dirt from her aunts driveway. (that's really not as pathetic as
it sounds, her aunts property is actually an old mining camp).

When you go grocery shopping and you remember your loupe, but forget your wallet, there is a problem...

So.. IF you are going to start looking at rocks, just be aware of the consequences.

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my exploring adventures I've come back with some pretty interesting samples. But most the time once my lady spies what I got, it goes directly to her rock garden/collection.

Examples:

DSC04150.JPG

DSC04151.JPG

DSC04152.JPG

DSC04153.JPG

DSC04154.JPG

DSC04155.JPG

DSC04156.JPG

DSC04157.JPG

DSC04158.JPG

DSC04160.JPG

Attachments

• DSC04159.JPG
    DSC04159.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for sharing your video, I linked it on my facebook. :)

OP
OP
M.E.G.

M.E.G.

Apr 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a large forest fire not so many years back in an area high in the surrounding mountains. There was huge fire breaks built through gullies and across ridges in areas that were never touched by machinery. After the fire was extinguished, those areas of fire breaks were ripped so people could not drive on them. Knowing some of these areas were in a place old time miners had explored for, and found gold in the small high elevation streams, I went to exploring. After much hiking around I came across an area on where a dozer cut deep into the side of the hill. It had uncovered and ripped into a very large quartz seam. The large quartz pictured below is what was carried out a few years back. It is pockety with little crystals growing in and around it. I was back there this summer to do a little more exploring and only brought out a small sample, also pictured. Would like to bring in a hydraulic shovel some time and really dig into that seam.

DSC04174.JPG

DSC04175.JPG

DSC04176.JPG

DSC04177.JPG

DSC04178.JPG

DSC04179.JPG

DSC04180.JPG

DSC04181.JPG

DSC04182.JPG

DSC04183.JPG

DSC04184.JPG

DSC04185.JPG